U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:19 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,226,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
But then there are some of us Floridians who think if you live in North Florida you might as well stay up North because you still have lots of winter days North of Daytona Beach. I moved to Florida to get out of wearing winter coats and the farther North in Florida the more frosty and freezing mornings you have.

LOL No matter where in FL, it gets blistering hot and humid. The "winters" (if you wanna call it that) is a very small part of N FL climate. sure there will be some cold days, but believe me, there are far more hot and humid days for those who actually are drawn to that misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 06:58 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,669,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Like I said, Ponte Vedra, which is in St Johns Co. It looks like it's PBC vs SJC.
Ditto!!!! Jacksonvillle has some of the best medical facilities in this region and Ponte Vedra some of the best golf courses. Good Luck!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:58 PM

43 posts, read 137,031 times
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Really appreciate it. I was originally leaning towards the outskirts of Tampa or Sarasota but plan on looking into all the areas mentioned thus far. Any more input would be awesome. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 AM

15,127 posts, read 31,038,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by determined0331 View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Really appreciate it. I was originally leaning towards the outskirts of Tampa or Sarasota but plan on looking into all the areas mentioned thus far. Any more input would be awesome. Thanks.
You really owe it to yourself to check out the Tampa Bay area. Sarasota in particular fills all of your needs, this is a wonderful place to live. Sarasota has TONS of great restaurants (lots of foodie and independent types), good shopping, the best beaches in the country - and LOTS of golf courses. Good medical facilities here, and only an hour drive to Tampa. Sarasota also has a really nice airport.

Check out the Sarasota forum here and you can get a lot more info. And despite the unusually cold winter that hit Florida this year (including this area) the winters here on the Gulf coast are usually gorgeous!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:31 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,868,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by determined0331 View Post
Hello,

Looking to move to FL (surprise, surprise) and am looking for a little local advice. Here some info...

1) Mid 20s couple.
2) I'm a physical therapist and she is a cosmetologist.
3) #1 outdoor activity is golf. Want to be around a nice selection of courses.
4) Love to eat out and try new restaurants.
5) Not concerned with lots of night life.
6) Plenty of shopping would be great.
7) Don't have to be directly on the beach but <30-45 min drive to a decent spot would be ideal.
8) Prefer a more laid back atmosphere. Want a small town feel but within a short commute to a larger city.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Magic 8 ball says the perfect location for you is... Naples.

Plenty of old people needing physical therapy, I'm sure a cosmetologist won't have a problem finding work. Golf? Why yes! Not too much nightlife? Yes, again! Shopping isn't bad. Beach access? Check. Fairly laid back? Yep. You also have quick access to Ft. Myers and SWFL International.

I don't know why anyone would move to FL for warmth and then stay in NoFla. It's really South Georgia... they experience the same summers as SoFla, yet don't get near the perks of a SoFla winter. I just wouldn't do that to myself. It's usually a tease in the winter. Just warm enough to be able to do some outdoor activities, but head to the beach or swim in the pool? Not so much.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Magic 8 ball says the perfect location for you is... Naples.

Plenty of old people needing physical therapy, I'm sure a cosmetologist won't have a problem finding work. Golf? Why yes! Not too much nightlife? Yes, again! Shopping isn't bad. Beach access? Check. Fairly laid back? Yep. You also have quick access to Ft. Myers and SWFL International.

I don't know why anyone would move to FL for warmth and then stay in NoFla. It's really South Georgia... they experience the same summers as SoFla, yet don't get near the perks of a SoFla winter. I just wouldn't do that to myself. It's usually a tease in the winter. Just warm enough to be able to do some outdoor activities, but head to the beach or swim in the pool? Not so much.

Cooler winters are awesome and make up for the miserable summers. You cant do outdoor activities when it's 65 degrees outside? It's not like it's that cold in N FL.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 PM

7,659 posts, read 16,047,687 times
Quote:
Cooler winters are awesome and make up for the miserable summers. You cant do outdoor activities when it's 65 degrees outside? It's not like it's that cold in N FL.
The problem is that the 65 degree days can be few and far between up here from mid-December through mid-February. We get plenty of winter days where it struggles to get over 50F.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Ok, but still, 2 months out of 12 it's in the 50's for the high. I always enjoy those 46 degree days when it's 92 and 100% humidity out! I like when it's cold out but it doesnt want to make me wanna move to Alaska, so I just dont get the concept of wanting that heat and humidity all year round.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,868,409 times
Quote:
Ok, but still, 2 months out of 12 it's in the 50's for the high. I always enjoy those 46 degree days when it's 92 and 100% humidity out! I like when it's cold out but it doesnt want to make me wanna move to Alaska, so I just dont get the concept of wanting that heat and humidity all year round.
The humidity isn't a problem in SoFla during the winter. In the winter months SoFla, IMO, is just like heaven on Earth. The humidity is just at a perfect level, the temperature is great so you can still wear shorts and do some yard work and if you want you can still jump in the pool or head to the beach. You can break a sweat if you want, or you could take it a little bit easier and not.

The other good thing about SoFla in the winter is the great reduction of bugs. You can sit outside and not have to worry about being carried off by mosquitoes.

In my area we usually get 2 or 3 days in the 70's in January. While it's a nice break from the cold, it's such a tease. Now that it's finally getting warmer, the bugs have already realized it. I've been trying to get some things planted and the gnats are really nasty out.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:29 AM

191 posts, read 565,835 times
I'd look into Jupiter,Sarasota and Naples those are your best bet for what your looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or