U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 06:44 AM

23 posts, read 79,826 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have just decided to relocate our family from Buffalo, NY to Fl. Maybe you could help us by recommending the best places to start a job search and best places to raise a family. My husband is a Software Engineer, I'm an RN. We have 2 young daughters (under 4 years old), so we really want someplace with good schools.

We want to leave Buffalo because of the terrible long, dark, cold, snowy winters, too high taxes, and overall a very depressing, boring and decaying city.

We LOVE the beach, the sun, and spending time outside. We want to live someplace warm, near the beach, with low crime and good schools.

Any recommendations on good places to begin concentrating our job search in the computer industry and our home search (want a 'tropical' style house in the $200,000 range) would be so very much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 AM

793 posts, read 2,217,263 times
I hated Rochester N.Y. the 4 years my wife and I lived there, springs are beautiful, summers are nice but the winters with the lake effect snow, couldn't wait to get back to Florida!!!

Look into the new jobs coming to Orlando's Medical City, new VA Hospital, new Nemours Children’s Hospital and more in one area.

I also have a family member that is a VP at Florida Hospital and they are always looking for good RN's, as for software there are plenty of firms just need to contact them as it relates to job availability.

Hope this helps,

Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM

509 posts, read 1,482,198 times
The farther north you are in Florida, the farther your real estate dollar will go, in my opinion. Jacksonville has lots of hospitals and insurance companies that employ nurses. But you know, as a nurse you won't have an trouble getting a job ANYWHERE. Jacksonville might offer more opportunities for your husband because of the businesses there, but jobs are tough down here. You might both consider the VA as an employer. There are lots of VA medical centers, clinics, etc. here and lots of jobs, probably for both of you. They also give you some mobility after you are employed. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM

389 posts, read 1,091,713 times
I'd start with:

Jacksonville
Orlando
Tampa
Melbourne

Old 04-16-2010, 06:57 PM

7,486 posts, read 19,942,775 times
You should look at Sarasota county. The school system is one of the best in Florida and they have Pine View School, which is the highest rated school in the state of Florida and one of the best in the Nation.

If you look in the North Port area (southern Sarasota county) you could find a home in your price range with no problem.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 AM

389 posts, read 1,091,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
You should look at Sarasota county. The school system is one of the best in Florida and they have Pine View School, which is the highest rated school in the state of Florida and one of the best in the Nation.

If you look in the North Port area (southern Sarasota county) you could find a home in your price range with no problem.
Do you think there would be software engineering jobs in Sarasota? I listed the cities I did, because of that factor. Jacksonville would even be iffy.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:28 AM

7,685 posts, read 16,115,889 times
If your husband is really good and doesn't mind working for the military-industrial complex, Orlando is actually a hub for software and simulation development for the military. (With smaller hubs for that in Tampa and parts of the Panhandle)

Nursing- you'll find a job without much fuss in much of the state, but it's going to pay less than what you find Up North.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:53 AM

109 posts, read 394,475 times
Boy, this is a tough one. The story of the wish list. The areas that may give you the best opportunity for work will probably keep you out of reach of the beach. Traditionally East Coast people gravitate to the East Coast of Florida. On the other hand the West Coast is more Midwestern. It's as simple as "birds of a feather, flock together". You are not inner city East Coasters so may be able to fit in anywhere. If this is the case Tampa offers some good opportunities as well as beaches. My hands down favorite was Vero Beach Florida. Close enough to central hub activities but hometown like. When our son turned 16, I gave him a choice of a pick up truck, compact car etc. He choice a "Moped Style" scooter, strapped his surf board on the back and he and his friends went everywhere and I never worried about his safety. We came from a rural N.W. Wisconsin area so this was a natural.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:36 PM

310 posts, read 774,439 times
NW or NE St. Johns county would probably serve your needs.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 PM

17 posts, read 35,218 times
Try Clearwater/Palm Harbor/Tarpon Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or