U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 PM

48 posts, read 183,249 times

Advertisements

I don't think clermont is that nice at all. Please visit before moving here. Not to sound racist as it will, there is too many Hispanic here that do NOT speak English. God only knows how many illegals are living here. Go on line and check out how overly populated all of central FL is getting by Hispanics. East Ridge High School (Clermont) Is HORRIBLE, D rated if that tells you anything. Teachers don't give a damn and the students, if you could call them that are out of control and their is such a lack of communication between parent and teacher. We are kicking ourselves everyday for moving from up north. Waiting for kids to finish school year and moving back up north. If you don't mind feeling like your living in Puerto Rico, by all means move here. If you are white person and don't want to be the minority stay away. Can't wait for June to get the hell outta here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 12:56 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,490,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1804 View Post
I don't think clermont is that nice at all. Please visit before moving here. Not to sound racist as it will, there is too many Hispanic here that do NOT speak English. God only knows how many illegals are living here. Go on line and check out how overly populated all of central FL is getting by Hispanics. East Ridge High School (Clermont) Is HORRIBLE, D rated if that tells you anything. Teachers don't give a damn and the students, if you could call them that are out of control and their is such a lack of communication between parent and teacher. We are kicking ourselves everyday for moving from up north. Waiting for kids to finish school year and moving back up north. If you don't mind feeling like your living in Puerto Rico, by all means move here. If you are white person and don't want to be the minority stay away. Can't wait for June to get the hell outta here.
You obviously didn't do your research before moving. I live in Clermont, and have never felt like it was "Puerto Rico." As much as you claim you don't want to sound racist, you must be to make statements like the ones you did. (And for the record, I'm white.)

I'm sure you'll be happy moving back to whatever WASP-Y enclave you came from.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,187,290 times
Yeah, I hung out in Clermont a few times last summer and it was pretty white bread. All of Lake County seems that way for the most part, with the exception of Groveland and parts of Leesburg.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:27 PM

48 posts, read 183,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You obviously didn't do your research before moving. I live in Clermont, and have never felt like it was "Puerto Rico." As much as you claim you don't want to sound racist, you must be to make statements like the ones you did. (And for the record, I'm white.)

I'm sure you'll be happy moving back to whatever WASP-Y enclave you came from.
What ever, the handwriting is on the wall. I even have a couple of puerto rican friends that even say that the Hispanic population is growing in leaps and bounds here. I have nothing against other races. What pisses me off is going anywhere in central Florida and not even hearing English anymore. This is America, what the hell happened to the English language? I have plenty of neighbors that say the same thing and if they could sell their home they would be moving too. If you choose to be blind to the fact, that's your business. You are seriously in denial.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryann1804 View Post
What ever, the handwriting is on the wall. I even have a couple of puerto rican friends that even say that the Hispanic population is growing in leaps and bounds here. I have nothing against other races. What pisses me off is going anywhere in central Florida and not even hearing English anymore. This is America, what the hell happened to the English language? I have plenty of neighbors that say the same thing and if they could sell their home they would be moving too. If you choose to be blind to the fact, that's your business. You are seriously in denial.
We clearly go to different Central Floridas then. Unless you're in heavily migrant cities like Groveland or the Hispanic parts of Orlando, you don't hear Spanish at all. And in parts of Orlando, you hear German and French more than Spanish.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,047 times
I have lived both settings rural and city, and found pros and cons with various times. Being close to international markets {Fresh Produce on 436, Fancy Fruit, et c.}, really works for me because of the extent of cooking and baking at my address. On the other hand, I spent many of my young adult years lost on lots of land which is now part of International Parkway, sans orange, tangerine and pine groves - - and learned some of the best lessons in life - simply appreciating nature.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:32 PM

10 posts, read 31,513 times
Default Sorry but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
We clearly go to different Central Floridas then. Unless you're in heavily migrant cities like Groveland or the Hispanic parts of Orlando, you don't hear Spanish at all. And in parts of Orlando, you hear German and French more than Spanish.
I have to agree with maryann1804, and, sorry, I'm not racist either. There are a lot of Hispanic people living in Central Florida, everywhere I go, shop, work, whatever. I'm not sure what a 'migrant city' is - I live in Lakeland, visit Orlando, Tampa, St Cloud (where my father and his wife live and are also planning on moving because "all [they] hear is Spanish"). I work in a call center enivronment as an insurance adjuster, and we get tons of calls in from Spanish-speaking people from all over Florida. Sorry, but it's one of my pet peeves too - if you live here, work here, apparently buy cars here, then you should learn to speak English. (And while some of these people may only have been here for a few months or something, MANY of them have had policies with my company for years.)

The problem is that we cater to Spanish speaking people; when was the last time you saw or heard anything that didn't offer a Spanish option? When my great-grandparents came from Germany and France, they HAD to learn English, because it's the language of the United States, and they wouldn't survive here if they didn't! My German great-grandfather wouldn't allow his family to speak German, they had to speak English at home, so they all learned it. We as a country don't offer translation for everything in French, German, Italian, Haitian, Creole, Chinese, Japanese...well, you get the idea - so why do we offer everything in Spanish?

What's even more infuriating is when people get mad at me because I don't speak Spanish! If I was living in Spain, or Cuba, or Mexico, or South/Central America, I'd have to learn Spanish - I'm sure they don't have everything translated to English. On another level, can you imagine how much money it costs for everything to be duplicated in Spanish? Ridiculous, sorry. And yes, there is a large Hispanic, Spanish-speaking population in Central Florida, and it's growing.

Come to America, fine, I have no problem with that, and I think it's great when someone knows another language, but if you live here, reap the benefits, then learn the language that's spoken here.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 AM

You are implying that English speakers are a minority in Central Florida and that Spanish is somehow necessary for even the most basic of tasks. This, of course, is a gross exaggeration and hardly true at all, except in overwhelmingly migrant communities like Mascotte. I don't see the big deal about buildings having Spanish-language signs in the predominantly Hispanic parts of town.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 31,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
You are implying that English speakers are a minority in Central Florida and that Spanish is somehow necessary for even the most basic of tasks. This, of course, is a gross exaggeration and hardly true at all, except in overwhelmingly migrant communities like Mascotte. I don't see the big deal about buildings having Spanish-language signs in the predominantly Hispanic parts of town.
I don't think that's the implication. I can certainly assure you that's not what I meant - and I don't think that's what most people would get from my post. The basic points of my post are that there are a lot of Spanish-speaking people in Central Florida and that number is growing, and that both the duplication of most things is Spanish and failure to learn English are pet peeves of mine.

Which leads to your last sentence, I'm not sure where you live, but everywhere I go, I see things duplicated in Spanish, whether the population is predominantly Hispanic or not, and not just some signs! When I call ANY other insurance company in the course of doing my job (actually, pretty much any company), I'm given the option to press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish, or something similiar. Many advertisments have "Hablo Espanol" in their advertising, and there are coupons in Sunday's paper that have the content in English and Spanish. Any electronic items you get now have both English and Spanish instructions. I'm not speaking of this as a purely Central Floridian issue, but on a much broader level. I'm not going to repeat the points I've already made, but I think they're valid.

And, again, before anyone brands me a racist, I am not, in fact, my daughter is Hispanic/Caucasian, and I love her to death. My issue is with catering to a specific group, not with the group itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida