Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:11 PM

23 posts, read 89,643 times

Advertisements

I'm just trying to narrow down my home search between the Broward and Palm Beach County. I have 2 daughters that will be starting school soon, so i'm just wondering which area is more "family friendly". And why... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,102 times
Both counties are densely populated and have problems, but if I were to pick the lesser of 2 evils I would say

West Palm Beach.

Although I would say avoid the area and come to North Florida.

Tallahassee is a much better place to raise a family.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM

21 posts, read 49,911 times
well broward and wpb are both pretty over populated areas..broward probably more..the crowd is gradually making its way north..

if ur dead set on one of those areas..for raising a family ..i would stay the furthest west in those areas...homes r prob more reasonable too...

the beach area is nice..but honestly its really more for singles..esp broward beaches..and wpb beaches seem more for retirees...

def dont want to be too close to 95,441,us1,dixie

Old 04-20-2010, 04:58 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Lol, any input from actual residents? Both Broward and Palm Beach have their good family areas. Broward has better proximity to more "stuff" to do, but Palm Beach is generally less congested, especially the Northern suburbs of West Palm Beach.

While I like Tallahassee, let's not forget that crime is actually worse in PBC than the family oriented cities in Palm Beach County (Jupiter, Boca, Wellington, Royal Palm Beach)... in fact, Tallahassee has the same crime rate as West Palm Beach, according to City-Data figures.

Last edited by TriMT7; 04-20-2010 at 05:06 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Lol, any input from actual residents? Both Broward and Palm Beach have their good family areas. Broward has better proximity to more "stuff" to do, but Palm Beach is generally less congested, especially the Northern suburbs of West Palm Beach.
I'd agree. I was born and raised in Broward, lived there for almost 23 years. Moved to PBC in 1991. I hate going down to Broward to visit family. I don't have children, but I definitely prefer PBC over Broward.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7
;

While I like Tallahassee, let's not forget that crime is actually worse in PBC than the family oriented cities in Palm Beach County (Jupiter, Boca, Wellington, Royal Palm Beach)... in fact, Tallahassee has the same crime rate as West Palm Beach, according to City-Data figures.

Edit: Crime is actually worse in Tallahassee than the family oriented cities in Palm Beach County

Old 04-21-2010, 10:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
OP- Have you visited both areas yet by any chance? If you haven't I would highly take a trip down and just spend a few days driving around. This way you can get a feel for yourself which you like better.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:10 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
We looked in both Broward and Palm Beach and decided on Palm Beach County as we are very happy with the Schools in Boca Raton...but living where we live we are in Broward quiet often...lol

good luck I agree with Doggie you should visit both areas

Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
TrimT7,

Probably because of the BIG college there in Tally. Most people would take their chances in Tally than PBC or Broward. But I've only been to Tally once, so I cant really speak on it too much, but it sure as hell isnt in the national spotlight like S FL so often is.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
TrimT7,

Probably because of the BIG college there in Tally. Most people would take their chances in Tally than PBC or Broward. But I've only been to Tally once, so I cant really speak on it too much, but it sure as hell isnt in the national spotlight like S FL so often is.
There are multiple colleges in South Florida, including FAU (total population of students = 27000 students), FIU (40000 students), UM (about 16000 students) and Nova. There are also more TOURISTS in South Florida than Tallahassee.

Um, yeah Com, Tallahassee has like 200k people. South Florida has about five million.

Care to gander why Tallahassee isn't in the "national spotlight" as much?

People who would blindly "take their chances" based on media perception should break out the statistics text book to understand the concept of "crime per capita."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida