U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-29-2010, 07:14 AM

105 posts, read 156,168 times
Default Florida Pool Issue

Hey All,

I seem to be in a bit of a rough spot and hoping someone can tell me who I really need to talk to.

Wife and I put in an offer on a house that has no pool. We put the offer in but put in the contract that if a pool can not be put in we can get out and get our deposit back. Here is the interesting part. My realtor who is a friend of the family (Sold a house to my grandmother, 2 aunts, and is a trusted friend etc..) had a guy look at the property and said you could put an L shaped pool. I just wanting more then one opinion asked another pool guy to go look and he said NO you can not put in a pool. He said you need to have 20 feet between your pool and the property line and I only have 26 feet in the back yard and it would be impossible to build a pool on 6 feet. The property also has one of those creeks or something back there a ditch. Now before I pull out of the house I want to be sure and I am not positive on the laws and restrictions in the state of Florida or who is right and who is wrong here. Is there anyone who I could call who would know 100% what can and can NOT be built there?

Cause this whole issue makes or breaks the house.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-29-2010, 08:10 AM

21,282 posts, read 27,040,018 times
You need to contact whoever would issue a building permit in that area.

Unread 04-29-2010, 09:08 AM

6,269 posts, read 11,671,436 times
^^^Exactly. You need to contact your city, because each city in Florida has different rules on putting in a pool. I know that in Coral Gables a city in Miami-Dade they have a 20ft rule from the property line. So call your city and have them come out.

Unread 04-29-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Exactly. You need to contact your city, because each city in Florida has different rules on putting in a pool. I know that in Coral Gables a city in Miami-Dade they have a 20ft rule from the property line. So call your city and have them come out.
Yeah I called and Port St Lucie same thing 20ft. So now we trying to figure out what exact design can fit.

Unread 04-29-2010, 04:24 PM

OK here seems to be a very what I call at this point funny twist.

Ok so my realtor gets a guy to go look to see if a pool can fit in the back with the laws and he has the guy call me and he says yes the pool can fit and that he got faxed a copy of the survey for the property and he worked something up.

So just to cover my basis I call my own pool guy and he goes and looks and says no the pool will not fit. NO room for a pool

Here is the funny part I call back the guy my realtor got and he is from the same pool company as the guy I used LOL

Now let me state that the realtor is a friend of our family so not like he is a guy wanting to just get a sale.

But wait it gets better. So I call the city building department to get my own copy of a survey and they tell me "you have to come in person to get one and it cost 15 cents. Or call someone to do a survey and it will cost you 200 to 300. Then I say but the pool guy told me he got one faxed over to him in less then 15 minutes. And the guy said. Not possible we do not do that.

So now I am worried what if I buy this house and no pool can go in I am stuck

Unread 04-29-2010, 05:24 PM

I would ask the pool company to fax you over the survey or go and get the fax copy they got from the county. I would then go to the city building department get the survey from them, compare it to the one that the pool company "had faxed" to them. And then I would call the best pool company in your area ask them to come out and give their opinion.

The county told you 20ft. So the pool edge closest to the property line has to be 20ft from the property line, you said you only have 26ft from the house to the property line, right?

Unread 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I would ask the pool company to fax you over the survey or go and get the fax copy they got from the county. I would then go to the city building department get the survey from them, compare it to the one that the pool company "had faxed" to them. And then I would call the best pool company in your area ask them to come out and give their opinion.

The county told you 20ft. So the pool edge closest to the property line has to be 20ft from the property line, you said you only have 26ft from the house to the property line, right?
By my count yes but I am not a professional. They are going to get the copy for me and fax it but I can ont get my own copy cause I live like 8 states away lol

Unread 04-29-2010, 05:52 PM

A relative is going to get me a copy next week.

Unread 04-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreone View Post
By my count yes but I am not a professional. They are going to get the copy for me and fax it but I can ont get my own copy cause I live like 8 states away lol
Sounds good, this way you will really know if you have the extra 20 ft or not. Can you ask the previous owner this question, as they may have thought of putting in a pool at one point?

Unread 04-29-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Sounds good, this way you will really know if you have the extra 20 ft or not. Can you ask the previous owner this question, as they may have thought of putting in a pool at one point?
I wish but it is a short sale. BTW will it be easy to read how much feet is behind the back for someone like me on the survey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida