U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,135 posts, read 3,030,304 times
Reputation: 4180

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
well said and Vaughnwilliams - they already do deport parents without US children, yesterday I was listening to someone who said a local church had to get money together to send back to Mexico two children, us nationals, who had no one to care for them as their parents were nabbed in a raid at a factory.
I wonder how folks will feel when they have to pay (even more) than $4 a pound for tomatoes and 99c for one orange, I find that stupid already, when the US population demands better working conditions, lunch hours, and the rest of it, the prices will go even higher and we will have to outsource our crops too!
what do we do about the pregnant women who wait until just prior to giving birth and hustle across the border. This is a documented fact.People that say, " Oh, poor children, they are left here alone.....while the parents are shipped back where they came from.." If they were any kind of parents, they knew this before they ever slipped across the border.....and then because they managed to evade getting deported for a few years (though some do and come back several times) while they are having a dozen other kids, then they demand the right to stay here.....rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,135 posts, read 3,030,304 times
Reputation: 4180
Deleted post as the info I was quoting did not transfer properly and be readable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
150 posts, read 291,523 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What about them? Has illegal immigration from Canada presented itself as a problem?
The only reason why it isn't considred a "problem" is because nobody pays any attention to it. I'm sure there are plenty of Canadian nationals committing crimes in our country, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 2,754,697 times
Reputation: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haai View Post
The only reason why it isn't considred a "problem" is because nobody pays any attention to it. I'm sure there are plenty of Canadian nationals committing crimes in our country, too.
If truth be told I would bet many of the people posting on this board are the decedents of illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach - Flamingo Park
14,724 posts, read 16,421,487 times
Reputation: 6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haai View Post
The only reason why it isn't considred a "problem" is because nobody pays any attention to it. I'm sure there are plenty of Canadian nationals committing crimes in our country, too.

If the laws were applied as they should be (Arizona law mirrors the federal immigration law), then illegal Canadians would ALSO be caught.

Canadian immigration isn't paid attention to because Canadians do not demand accomodation. Even the Chinese, who also come illegally in large numbers, do not demand the accomodation or have the "you owe us because you stole this land based on an untenable claim initiated by the Spanish crown" mentality (which is, by the way, very annoying and historically inaccurate).

It's also a matter of sheer numbers and consequences. Forget about crime. How many illegal Canadians are in the US? Are illegal Canadians more or less likely to be social service burdens? Do Canadians come here purposely to have babies? Are they from Canada's underclass, or do they tend to have money and are self sufficient?

A quick google search says that it is estimated that between 65k and 75k illegal Canadians lived in all of the United States. I'd venture that places like Miami alone have more than that number of illegal immigrants from all sources!



Look, I get it. My father is an immigrant (legal). He is Portuguese, so we have a lot of culture in common with Spanish culture. His family sacrificed a LOT to get over here the proper way. His parents spent years over here before they could get permission to bring the kids over. In spite of same, I'm sorry, but I just do not and cannot condone illegal immigration.

The way I see it, America is like a house. It's people, US Citizens and legal immigrants, are like the family that live in that house. If you are invited to live in the house, come on in. If not, how dare you come in uninvited.

I don't know about you, but if some random people started living in my spare bedroom because "all they wanted is a better life for themselves," I would want them OUT. It's not that they maybe aren't good people, they just did not come in the proper way. I don't care if they mow my lawn, wash my dishes and sweep the floors of my house.... unless I give them permission, they should not be there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
261 posts, read 410,880 times
Reputation: 217
What's going on in Arizona has little to do with illegal immigration and everything to do with our insane Drug War which has made Northern Mexico as dangerous as Afghanistan. The fact that ethnic studies classes have been banned in Arizona answers any questions about whether or not this is a racist policy. Old white men just carried out two of the largest attacks on our country with the Stock Market crash and the Gulf Oil spill, but real Americans insist on picking on our corporate slave labor force instead. Someone needs to do something about this Un-American writing on the Statue of Liberty:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 11:28 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 2,754,697 times
Reputation: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
What's going on in Arizona has little to do with illegal immigration and everything to do with our insane Drug War which has made Northern Mexico as dangerous as Afghanistan. The fact that ethnic studies classes have been banned in Arizona answers any questions about whether or not this is a racist policy. Old white men just carried out two of the largest attacks on our country with the Stock Market crash and the Gulf Oil spill, but real Americans insist on picking on our corporate slave labor force instead. Someone needs to do something about this Un-American writing on the Statue of Liberty:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
What happens is like everything, things change. There as a time when we wanted people to come here populate the country, bring trades and investment. The country was new and young and wanted to grow. Now it is different and there is no problem with a little change in attitude. The welcome mat needs to be pulled back. Nothing is forever. Time for some new policies.

Nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
261 posts, read 410,880 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
What happens is like everything, things change. There as a time when we wanted people to come here populate the country, bring trades and investment. The country was new and young and wanted to grow. Now it is different and there is no problem with a little change in attitude. The welcome mat needs to be pulled back. Nothing is forever. Time for some new policies.

Nothing wrong with that.
I think it's pretty safe to say the welcome mat has been pulled back, but I don't think times have changed that much. First it was the Irish and Italians, now it's brown people. I agree that illegal immigration is a problem, but it won't be solved until until the big companies that hire illegals are dealt with, which will never happen. I disagree that new immigrants no longer want to come over here to start businesses and invest in our country. Harassing anyone who looks "illegal" is not the answer. I strongly disagree with what they are doing in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 01:46 PM
 
239 posts, read 451,940 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Of course, this is a hot topic, with folks on both sides having strong opinions.

I remind everyone, you can debate the issue, but NOT be rude or disrespectful to other posters.

I have yet to see some good answers to some questions, like;

1) Doesn't the word "illegal" mean it is against the law? Like being a criminal?
Should not criminals be dealt with? When is it "OK" to continue being a
criminal?

2) If I enter the country of Mexico, or any other foreign country, being a U.S.
citizen, illegally, and stay there illegally, do those other countries treat me
differently then we treat "illegals"? Would I get free healthcare, schooling
etc? What "rights", if any, would I have??

3) Don't we have legal ways to become a U.S. citizen?

4) What percentage of "illegals" do needed work here that no one else would
do?

5) What amount of crimes, etc., are committed by "illegals", and what is the
cost of dealing with that?

6) Why do people think "illegals" have the same rights as U.S. citizens?

7) If this law is so wrong, how else should this problem be dealt with? I do
not think the answer is making our country as poor as the places they are
coming from, so they would not be "upgrading"......

8) Does not a state have the right to fix a problem if the Federal Gov't does
not?

I carry my license with me all the time. I would not mind showing it once in awhile to prove my legality. Living here is a privilege, not a right. The folks who seem to be all bent about this law do not seem to come up with solutions.

I prevent criminals from entering my home by having good locks. If they do get in, they would be met with deadly force........legally. I do not get rid of my good stuff in hopes of discouraging them from wanting anything. I do not try to bargain with them. I do not try to give them whatever they want so they hopefully go away.

Illegal folks here are a slap in the face to all other immigrants who worked hard to be here legally. When I hear that Mexico is upset at this law I shake my head......who gives that country a right to even HAVE an opinion? When I go to Mexico what rights do I have??

Folks who do not believe in protecting our freedoms do not deserve to enjoy them.

Frank
AMEN!!!! THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL POST!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2010, 01:56 PM
 
239 posts, read 451,940 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
One thing that vexes me about the illegal problem is, what about the children of illegals that were born in the U.S.? Last time I looked, the Constitution guarantees any one who's born in the U.S. full rights as a citizen. You can't force them to leave, no matter what their parent's status is. Are you going to force the parents to leave without their children? It can be said that illegals are gaming the system by having children in the U.S. but that doesn't change the fact that these kids ARE Americans by birth and have every right to stay here and they have every right to refuse to prove that they are Americans when asked by law enforcement, just like I do.
Arizona's law is totally unenforceable and will end up costing them tons of money and bad publicity. Florida would be wise to steer clear of anything similar.
I can answer that one..NO MORE ANCHOR BABIES!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top