Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 05:06 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife90 View Post
i live in pcb and im really scared that this oil spill will make me loose my job for lack of buisiness. they say that even if a little oil hits the beaches, it would take up to 5 years to fully clean the beach,if a large amount hits it could take up to 10 years.
I hope that it won't be so bad. Maybe there will be a lot that volunteers can do for the beaches. I don't know about cleaning up the ocean.

ETA:
http://www.ajc.com/business/bp-mile-long-tube-528103.html (broken link)

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-17-2010 at 05:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,439 times
Default No Oil here

I live in Panama City Beach and as of today the beaches are clear.
Looks like the mess is by-passing us

Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miragepcb View Post
The ooze, heavy oil and gasoline combined with the dispersants, is encroaching on the wetlands in LA and I don't see how MS, AL and FL can completely escape unscathed. The boom doesn't seem to be stopping a lot of the oil--flows under and over the barrier. Increments of the slime would hopefully be more manageable than to wake up one morning to a deluge.

Fingers crossed.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
Is it possible that a Hurricane would push this mess west?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,999 times
Hi there! I am also travelling to PCB on June 15. I have a website that I have been following the daily updates on the oil and it's potential to hit PCB. Right now it seems slim to none. Here is the site pcbdaily.com — Panama City Beach Information, news, and updates including Pier Park and the Panama City Airport. I am still planning to head down although I have checked with my condo about their cancellation policy just in case.

David L

Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 AM

37 posts, read 84,073 times
Unhappy thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidludwig2005 View Post
Hi there! I am also travelling to PCB on June 15. I have a website that I have been following the daily updates on the oil and it's potential to hit PCB. Right now it seems slim to none. Here is the site pcbdaily.com — Panama City Beach Information, news, and updates including Pier Park and the Panama City Airport. I am still planning to head down although I have checked with my condo about their cancellation policy just in case.

David L
Thanks for your response
YEs,we've been tracking the oil spill as best as we can too. And we check out pcbdaily every day.As well as several other web sites.

Deep Water Horizon Oil | Florida DEP
NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration ocgweb.marine.usf.edu/
www.epa.gov/bpspill/ Florida Vacation, Tourism, Travel & Entertainment Information - VISITFLORIDA.com
But the hurricane season is a concern for us as well. Plus! We're hearing
now that TAR BALLS have been found in Pensacola Fla.....
Pensacola Fla!!! Thats really becoming a concern now. I haven't
canceled my plans yet,and my condo renter says that I will be refunded
100% if the beaches are closed.But it does worry me some.

So,you have plans for June 15th?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 AM

37 posts, read 84,073 times
Default Fla

Quote:
Originally Posted by miragepcb View Post
whats your take on the tar balls in Pensacola fl?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM

97 posts, read 278,632 times
[quote=Wayneman117;14373734]whats your take on the tar balls in Pensacola fl? [/QUOTE

What's your information source for "tar balls in Pensacola?" I haven't heard there to be any there. Can you please give more information?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:44 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,373 times
Here's a link to the story about tar balls washing up on Pensacola Beach.

Suspected tar balls wash up on Pensacola Beach | pnj.com | Pensacola News Journal

As the story states, the tar balls will need to be analyzed before they can confirm they are from the BP incident. Tar balls washing up on beaches is not new; it's just that people are actively looking for them now.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 AM

97 posts, read 278,632 times
Thanks for the update. We have gone ahead and booked our vacation for this summer on Navarre Beach. We have watched the news obsessively, not only for our benefit of enjoying the beach this year, but because of the devastating impact on our eco-system for years to come. It is heartbreaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida