Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,539 times

Advertisements

There is no way they will be able to sell any property or business unless she is willing on selling it for about 25 cents on the dollar maybe less. Her best option is bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
I think there's still time to sell if she starts immediately at today's rock bottom price. There are many, many people, the majority even, who are in denial about how bad this really is and believe it is a temporary phenomenon that will be "cleaned up." There might also be those that believe they might be able to collect damages from BP at some later date should the value drop as they would have verifiable data showing their loss from the purchase price.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,648 times
Don't know anything about oil spills but up in Alaska they said they are still cleaning up the spill from I don't know how many years ago!!! Whatever but I'm praying hard that it doesn't reach PC cuz we're moving there in less than a month! I know how gorgeous the beaches are in Destin so I can only imagine what they are in PC and to be effected by this oil would be devistating to the summer economy for PC

Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
I can't see Spring Breakers frolicking around in oil.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
I am going to be an optimist.... errr try. Yes, some oil will hit the beaches, but I think it will be very little. BP is going to drop those boxes on these leaks and they'll work. The relief well will be done in record time and much sooner than they expected. I read a report which said Sandy Beaches are the easiest to clean and marsh land is the most difficult. Rocky beaches (as in Alaska) are in the middle. Florida beaches will get cleaned up much quicker and easier than the beaches in Alaska did, for two reasons. 1) Florida Beaches are Sand. 2) You can work on the Florida Beaches all year long.

So sure, this summer businesses may have less tourists, but hotels and restaurants may have a significant of oil clean up people providing them patronage. Maybe all the cleanup effort will help temporarily reduce the unemployment levels in Florida (since they will need to hire clean up crews) and bring an influx of new residents who will end up staying and buying homes.

Like I said, i am going the optimistic route here. Oil on beaches = awful. Oil on beaches maybe also result in a new mini-stimulus for coastal Florida during this very strange next year and be back to heavy tourism the following year.

Of course, ultimately, I would not want any oil to heat the beaches, but I think its going to happen.... to some point.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Gulf Coast watches, waits for path of oil spill | oil, coast, gulf - News - Northwest Florida Daily News (http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/oil-28648-coast-gulf.html - broken link)

Quote:
Florida's top environmental official said Tuesday that there is a good chance the state will dodge the worst of the Gulf oil spill and might only suffer minor damage.

Environmental Protection Secretary Mike Sole told state legislators on a conference call that "Mother Nature has been kind to us'' as the winds and Gulf currents have kept the oil away from the state so far. That might keep damage to a minimum, although oil sheen and tar balls could be washing ashore for months, he said.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I am going to be an optimist.... errr try. Yes, some oil will hit the beaches, but I think it will be very little. BP is going to drop those boxes on these leaks and they'll work. The relief well will be done in record time and much sooner than they expected. I read a report which said Sandy Beaches are the easiest to clean and marsh land is the most difficult. Rocky beaches (as in Alaska) are in the middle. Florida beaches will get cleaned up much quicker and easier than the beaches in Alaska did, for two reasons. 1) Florida Beaches are Sand. 2) You can work on the Florida Beaches all year long.

So sure, this summer businesses may have less tourists, but hotels and restaurants may have a significant of oil clean up people providing them patronage. Maybe all the cleanup effort will help temporarily reduce the unemployment levels in Florida (since they will need to hire clean up crews) and bring an influx of new residents who will end up staying and buying homes.

Like I said, i am going the optimistic route here. Oil on beaches = awful. Oil on beaches maybe also result in a new mini-stimulus for coastal Florida during this very strange next year and be back to heavy tourism the following year.

Of course, ultimately, I would not want any oil to heat the beaches, but I think its going to happen.... to some point.
I agree. It's going to be bad, no doubt, but I don't think it will be a nightmare scenario. And so far the weather has been cooperating with the cleanup efforts.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:43 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
I just hope they don't use those Halliburton well cementers to drop the huge collector boxes.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawitch View Post
I cancelled our reservations today for PCB. We were supposed to come down on June 14th. We always stay at the Boardwalk Beach Resort. I am so sad! We didn't get to come last summer because my mother had a stroke and we were really looking forward to it this year; especially the kids. It just makes me sick! When I think of the wildlife, beautiful beaches, and all the people that will be affected by this (and have ALREADY been affected) I just want to cry! Still, we are a working family and on a budget and I can't justify spending $1800.00 on a condo just so we can go sit at the pool. We can do that here in GA for free. We come to FL especially for the beach! Looks like we may go to Myrtle Beach, and I am dreading trying to figure out where a good place to stay is, etc., as we have never been there before. PCB is like a second home to us, as I have been there almost every summer since I was a baby.
Try booking further up on the east coast such as Myrtle Beach.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times
so we're planning a trip to pcb in two weeks, how do you see that going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida