Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has this recent oil explosion and lead changed your opinion of drilling off the US Coast?
Yes 15 30.61%
No 34 69.39%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 12:24 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntStoreResident View Post
I'm not meaning to incite, but I have a serious question: Can an oil rig like that be sabotaged?
Ive been wondering a lot about that. The reporter at the LA Times wrote this:

"We are all very curious," said an industry source who asked not to be identified because he worked for a rival oil company. "What happened that all that equipment, all the computer power, all the automated systems and manpower in place, could not be invoked to stop this?"

The assumption is that an oil-rig perfect storm occurred, very quickly. "There would have been a dozen barriers that had to fail in order for this accident to happen," said Tim Robertson, an oil-spill consultant with Nuka Research and Planning Group in Alaska.

Perhaps the biggest question, to experts, is why the blowout preventer valves didn't shut. The huge device, which caps the well, is equipped with emergency systems, including a "dead man's switch," a device of last resort that is supposed to be fail-safe."

BP’s oil containment problem is unprecedented - latimes.com

Last edited by fauve; 05-02-2010 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 05:06 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Angry Anything Can Be Sabotaged!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntStoreResident View Post
I'm not meaning to incite, but I have a serious question: Can an oil rig like that be sabotaged?
After 911...I think anything in the world can be sabotaged...especially an oil rig that sits in the middle of a body of water...just waiting for someone to visit...but unless people are willing to do without electric...gas for their vehicles...and the other many uses for oil...the drilling will go on...

Old 05-02-2010, 06:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Maybe if every one got serious about energy conservation a lot of these oil rigs would become unnecessary.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:40 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wack-a-Mole View Post
Where's all this Electricity going to come from????

If you say 'Wind', your knowledge of Wind Generation is lacking.
Wind, and solar for the most part and I'm willing to think about expanding nuclear, hydro and geothermal.

But, if you're a wind expert, tell me why my knowledge is lacking

Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,693 times
This isn't a useful poll.

I'm not for any offshore oil drilling anywhere. We need to get back on the track of finding a bridge fuel (maybe biodiesel) in order for us to get to a truly sustainable fuel source--like sugarcane ethanol or something like that in 15 years.

I believe the Gov't should rip up all BP oil leases that exist and kick BP out from drilling in the U.S. for 10 years. If we kicked BP out of the U.S. market until the time the Louisiana coast returned to normalcy they might never be back....think about it

This has the potential to be the most catastrophic hazardous waste tragedy in the history of the nation. Someone's gotta pay for it...

Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,434 times
I voted no, as I have always been and always will be against the damage we do to our beautiful oceans...I cannot even stand when I read about our Navy increasing submarine sonar due to the effect that it has on our innocent sea mammals!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
They should NOT drill off the coast, NO WAY, NO HOW....... Look at what happens.....

Old 05-03-2010, 06:24 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
We put people in space... Have cars that park themselves... But they can't stop this leak, come on!!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,228 times
No. I am still against it.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:02 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Electric heat up north is a lot different than electric heat down here, we are fortunate that we can use heat pumps that are WAY more efficient, but heat pumps don't work very well when the outside temp drops below about 25F. If every home up north used a traditional electric furnace it would quickly overwhelm the power grid, especially in ice or snow storms.

I live in TN and we use natural gas. If our power were to go out we could not heat our house because it runs on the fan (a/c unit). We had a wood stove in our last house and plan on getting a stove for our current home by next winter.

Also I used to live in FL and cannot figure out how their electric is different from the electric I use now. Really the only difference is I use the heater more than I use the air conditioner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: