U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,516,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
spent the day on the golf course today - no problems w/ the heat here.....I think the biggest whiners are those who spend most of their day in 72 degree AC then get shocked by the heat wave when they hit the 90-100 degree temps (or higher in their cars).
Wrong answer.... I spend half or MORE of my day out in this miserable crap. No choice, my job calls for it. I just get cooled off, then have to go outside to do something, or just get used to this molten air as good as I can then go inside only to have to go back out a little while later. not a whiner, it just sucks...

10 pm, 82 degrees, index is 92. At 10 pm.... ya great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,224,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Wrong answer.... I spend half or MORE of my day out in this miserable crap. No choice, my job calls for it. I just get cooled off, then have to go outside to do something, or just get used to this molten air as good as I can then go inside only to have to go back out a little while later. not a whiner, it just sucks...

10 pm, 82 degrees, index is 92. At 10 pm.... ya great.
Working in RE Dev't, I'm outside quite a bit too. It's hot up here right now too. Lots of water.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,789,087 times
DAMN the heat is not miserable, its our climate zone, if you don't like it move up North. Geesh. Calling it miserable complaining everyday when you clearly know from May to October heat will indeed be our best friends.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
DAMN the heat is not miserable, its our climate zone, if you don't like it move up North. Geesh. Calling it miserable complaining everyday when you clearly know from May to October heat will indeed be our best friends.
No kidding.... I am, and to ME it is miserable. Maybe if I worked inside all day, it would be great. Actually no, I would still be trapped inside because I have no urge to be outside until November.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM

778 posts, read 1,457,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I sure do. I love it, all summer long. I love to swim and I revel in the cool breeze. My dogs love it, too.

Having said that:
I don't know how Floridians lived here centuries ago without AC.
I have to admit I am grateful to have it.

The heat and humidity did hit me this weekend when I was out gardening, but then I remembered that freezing winter we had, inwardly shivered, and got back to work.

At the beginning of May, we spent a week in Colorado and New Mexico.
I spent more than half my life in Denver, but you would never know it--the aridity blasted my skin, and by the second day in New Mexico, I had a nosebleed. When we got back home to Florida, I drank in that moist air as if it were some sort of nectar of the gods.

The summer will slog on, we have to worry about hurricanes and storms, and it DOES bother me to have to keep the windows shut--I do love fresh air.

But that's the trade-off. I'll just keep going to the beach whenever I can.

The beach is my key to escaping the heat and humidity, seeing some nature, cool ocean breezes and avoid being stuck inside all the time for seven months. It is the eight wonder of the world to me tied with the Rockie Mountains<g>.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:06 PM

778 posts, read 1,457,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphioMacabre View Post
North Florida can actually feel hotter in the middle of summer than South Florida does. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale get more rain, and seem breezier than Jacksonville. And Orlando is the worst of all major FL cities in the middle of summer. Land-locked...blazingly hot and humid with less breeze and no water to absorb the brunt of the heat.

I feel bad for that guy from Michigan. Not everyone gets to choose where they live based on weather.

I'm from Sarasota. But I've lived out of Florida for the past 2 years. I lived in Nashville for 9 months, and saw all of their seasons. Since Jan 09 I've lived in Pittsburgh.

Nashville feels like Orlando during the summer but with drought. Blazingly hot and humid, but rain is very rare...and the high temps actually are higher than most of Florida's during the peak of summer. It's close to the Great Plains after all.

I love Pittsburgh's climate. It'll be June in 2 days, and I have all my windows open and it's in the low to mid 70s in the house, with moderate humidity. I know I will get flamed for saying this by somebody, lol. But I personally will take the 3 months of super cold weather, for 3/4 a year of wonderful comfort. My favorite temp range is 30-70. I could easily live in the Pacific Northwest. I don't care for when it gets into the single digits and teens, but that isn't awfully common up here. Our average Jan temps are highs in the mid to upper 30s, with lows in the low 20s. I know to most Floridians that seems crazy freezing, but it's nothing compared to Upstate NY, Michigan, Illinois, and many other areas.

Even as a kid I despised the heat in Florida. And of course just leaving was not an option. I'm not insulting people who like the climate, to each their own. It's hard for me to imagine enjoying 90 degrees with a heat index of 110, but, different strokes for different folks. I always absolutely loved when the cold fronts would come into Sarasota and we would have lows in the 30s and highs in the 50s or 60s for a day or few. I remember most people not caring for it...saying they wished it never got below 70, or even 80! Amazing how different we all are. I am very skinny too, obviously a lot of very large people like colder weather. But in my case that is certainly not it...I am a male who is 5'9" 130lbs, and I love it chilly.

I giggle about how up here, people bemoan the extreme heat of 84 degrees with moderate humidity, hehe. Then they say they wish they could live in Florida!! LOL. Obviously if 84 is horribly hot to a person, Florida would eat them alive.

People complain about everything. The cold, the heat, etc...and I totally understand and don't get bothered by it, sometimes it feels good to vent.
Nice balanced post. Amazing how people's perception of what heat and cold really is can be so different depending on where you live.. But also can be a moving target given what your current hot/cold DNA makeup is<g>.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:44 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,752,766 times
There is no denying the raw facts that South Florida is oppressively hot during the summer. The humidity here is the killer----consistenly between 60-85 or 90%.

For those of the Florida folks on this thread who claim they love the Florida heat during the summer you are either new to the area and will learn quickly, or you are oblivious to torture and we commend you wholeheartedly.

The last three weeks have been pretty brutal and we pray that the hurricane projections and forecasts for this year are incorrect-----another storm or two will be a killer for this area.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,901,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
There is no denying the raw facts that South Florida is oppressively hot during the summer. The humidity here is the killer----consistenly between 60-85 or 90%.

For those of the Florida folks on this thread who claim they love the Florida heat during the summer you are either new to the area and will learn quickly, or you are oblivious to torture and we commend you wholeheartedly.

The last three weeks have been pretty brutal and we pray that the hurricane projections and forecasts for this year are incorrect-----another storm or two will be a killer for this area.
Nope, not new to Florida and it is not torture. Some people just like warm weather and the weather lately has been fine.

By the way, raw facts would be what the actual temperature and humidity are, oppressively hot is an opinion.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:06 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,320,906 times
So up north here we've had 90+ temps, 90+ humidity, the rain is falling and several rivers have caused/are causing major flood damage. A few short months ago we were going through the worst winter in more than 30 years, with 2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground from December into March.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
So up north here we've had 90+ temps, 90+ humidity, the rain is falling and several rivers have caused/are causing major flood damage. A few short months ago we were going through the worst winter in more than 30 years, with 2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground from December into March.
At least you get some type of a change of seasons, not 8-9 months of crap, then 3 good months. MY opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida