Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:54 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadieAnn View Post
Thanks. I have actually applied to Keystone Heights. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that job!

I would not recommend Keystone Heights to anyone. The area is beautiful, but the town lacks any sort of culture whatsoever.

As for kids not getting into trouble there....I'm afraid I have to sharply disagree with that. I know too many people from the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Take a look at Port Orange in Volusia County, just south of Daytona Beach. It's very nice here. Great schools, low crime, close to the beach, within an hour's drive to Orlando and everything it has to offer. It's a nice place.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:37 AM

96 posts, read 360,494 times
Treasure Coast. That contains Port Saint Lucie. Low Crime rate, fast growing. Beaches. And tons of options to have fun. There are currently two malls on the Treasure coast. Look into it.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 17,610 times
Default Find "A" schools

Kadie,
Look for "A" rated school systems rather than the ones that have high pay. Stay away from all coastal regions - they are high tax, high crime, ridiculous prices for insurance - very touristy.
There is almost no place in Florida that is more than a 2 hour drive from a beach, but why put up with all the hassle of living in those areas?
As the previous poster noted, Keystone Heights is nice. Also check out the other rural districts such as Levy, Union, Gilchrist, etc. The non-profit, The North East Florida Educational Consortium | NEFEC represents rural districts in Florida, so check them out.
With so many kids, you need to find a district with schools that are rated "A"s and "B's", no lower. Check out the school grades at the Florida Dept of Ed website. Also, look at the economic indicators and crime rates.
Good luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I would not recommend Keystone Heights to anyone. The area is beautiful, but the town lacks any sort of culture whatsoever.

As for kids not getting into trouble there....I'm afraid I have to sharply disagree with that. I know too many people from the place.
I agree. Kids can get into plenty of trouble in Keystone Heights - there's nothing else for them to do there.

With girls especially, I think it is important to surround them with good role models and for them to see there are opportunities in life beyond getting married and having a baby after high school (or while IN high school ).

I'm sure there are success stories for some of the kids out in Keystone, but for the majority the bar is set very low and they tend to meet those expectations. I've seen it firsthand and it really saddens me.

You mentioned St. John's county, KadieAnn - that would be a far better choice than Keystone, IMO.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM

183 posts, read 1,133,887 times
Hey there! I saw your thread and I am moving from Nj to teach in Ocala. Actually, I ended up accepting a job teaching just below Ocala (Sumter County) el. ed. level, but I'll be living in Ocala. Check out Marion County if you don't mind being in Central FL. (I'm doing it b/c I have a horse...) I found getting a job to be relatively easy, you just have to convince the principals that you really will move.
ps.this is my 1st job out of college, I just graduated in May, so I don't have the experience as someone in your shoes, and you can afford to be more picky. I wish you luck!

Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 PM

120 posts, read 170,549 times
Could you live in south Lee County and commute to Naples? Lee is much cheaper than Collier County.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:07 PM

120 posts, read 170,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromedome View Post
if u want to avoid snobs, naples is not the place to be.naples is the land of the keep up with the joneses mentality, you are seen as low class if you dont drive a BMW and wear 400 dollar sunglasses

this is a horrible area to raise kids aswell. nothing at all for them to do, which usually leads to alcohol and drug consumption out of boredom.

while collier pays a little more than other counties in the area you still wont be able to afford anything decent unless your loaded. plan on living in the hood unless youre making serious money

id avoid southwest florida and look at a different area
Ther you go again with the whole "SW FL has nothing for kids to do." Have you ever heard of the Zoo in Naples or Sun n' Fun Lagoon? I really don't think you know this community as well as you think you do.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:04 AM

172 posts, read 856,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
Ther you go again with the whole "SW FL has nothing for kids to do." Have you ever heard of the Zoo in Naples or Sun n' Fun Lagoon? I really don't think you know this community as well as you think you do.

i know the community quite well actually, ive lived in the area since i was 16 and know firsthand the lack of activities for youth compared to other parts of the country. it seems like your taking what im saying personal.

how many times can you take kids to the same two attractions before it gets old?

maybe my bar is set high since i grew up for the most part in the nyc area where theres everything, but most people would agree with the fact southwest florida is really lacking in activities for kids.

how often do you see neighborhood kids playing with eachother in this area?

they cant even walk down the block to a store or a friends house since 80% of residential streets dont even have sidewalks yet.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:16 AM

523 posts, read 2,829,881 times
If you are a working family with 8 kids it seems you will need a nice big home reasonally priced. Unless your rich, Naples is very expensive place to live.
Home prices etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida