Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times

Advertisements

Folks,
Everyone has a right to their opinions as to "best place to live". It would be horrible if everyone was the same and wanted to live in the same place. There is also good and bad EVERYPLACE.

Please post your opinions without disrespecting the opinions of others. Discussing other posters negatively will not be allowed.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream2011 View Post
I would leave Fl... I couldnt imagine moving back to Raleigh NC.... weather has a direct effect on your life style and honestly I stayed home the whole winter........ my little babies got sick a lot on winter and there were not much to do there...... I LOVE FLORIDA. I really do. People are very nice here and I honestly beleive that if you look for a good job you will find it !!!! It was nice to read all this postings today.......
There really isn't much of a winter in Raleigh. It snows once every three years or so.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,934 times
We lived in Florida (St pete beach) for 8 years and left in May 2011 for new job in Tennessee. Although it is beautiful here, I am sooooo homesick for all Florida has to offer. Life just seemed so much easier there. The beautiful sunshine and blue skies, so much to do, everything so convenient. Plus, we are in a 12 step program and the meetings and support in Florida was so much better in this area. I'm finding the culture shock incredible.

Without a doubt, we WILL return to sunny Florida. I realize now it is my home. Not sure when we'll be able to work out the details (the job market and economy makes it hard to leave the stable jobs we've gotten here in TN), but life is too short to not be in a place you love.......I miss paradise!!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I am just curious on the opinions/experiences floating around out there right now. There have been variations on this question in the forum previously.

My question is directed to those of you who moved to Florida from elsewhere; then left Florida BECAUSE YOU DID NOT LIKE IT HERE, then moved BACK TO FLORIDA because wherever you went wasn't what you thought it would be either.

After all of those moves, where is your mindset now? Do you like Florida any better or do you still dislike it?

Are you staying here? or where are you going next?

Thanks for replies. I am really curious about this as I hear more stories than one would think on this topic.

Husband and I moved to NH in 07. We did it in a rushed manner, unorganized and didn't look long and hard enough. He is from New England and altho I was born up north had lived in Naples , Fl since 1983.

I was shocked by winter having never seen snow, we choose a town very secluded in the mountains far from family and friends and it just wasn't what we thought... So we moved back to Florida.. About a year into moving back we realized what a huge mistake it was and why we left in the first place... Our mind set? Get the hell out and do it right this time. We're old now, have a kid now and have different priorities. Almost all my family has moved out also and those left are planning their moves out in the next 2 years. We are going back to New England to the coast not interior close to family and the city.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Husband and I moved to NH in 07. We did it in a rushed manner, unorganized and didn't look long and hard enough. He is from New England and altho I was born up north had lived in Naples , Fl since 1983.

I was shocked by winter having never seen snow, we choose a town very secluded in the mountains far from family and friends and it just wasn't what we thought... So we moved back to Florida.. About a year into moving back we realized what a huge mistake it was and why we left in the first place... Our mind set? Get the hell out and do it right this time. We're old now, have a kid now and have different priorities. Almost all my family has moved out also and those left are planning their moves out in the next 2 years. We are going back to New England to the coast not interior close to family and the city.
I agree. New England is a large area, bigger than Florida and that's saying something. Both areas have a lot to offer everyone but you have to find the right spot. Even excellent research and planning doesn't always pan out, although you should certainly try. I think your new strategy will have better success.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 PM

84 posts, read 229,417 times
i was born and raised here. moved with my husband to seattle, wa. then columbus, oh, then santa cruz, ca.

we just moved back here 3 years ago for a job. it's all right for now, but am itching to leave again in a couple years.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbgirl99 View Post
i was born and raised here. moved with my husband to seattle, wa. then columbus, oh, then santa cruz, ca.

we just moved back here 3 years ago for a job. it's all right for now, but am itching to leave again in a couple years.
my husband has this "thing" for Wa state and Oregon but we've never been. I don't DARE move that far away from family I wouldn't know a soul out there! I hear its nice tho

Old 11-05-2011, 07:28 PM

165 posts, read 553,016 times
Well lets see. I was born in Indiana, moved to Texas at 4 then to Louisiana then back to Texas at 5 then back to Indiana, then to Florida at 6 then back to Indiana, then back to Florida at 10 then back to Indiana at 15. As an adult I moved to Alaska at 27 then to Florida at 31, which was this year. That's not even counting all the moves in each State. I get around.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:51 AM

84 posts, read 229,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
my husband has this "thing" for Wa state and Oregon but we've never been. I don't DARE move that far away from family I wouldn't know a soul out there! I hear its nice tho
it's absolutely beautiful. that's where i'd most like to move back. you should definitely at least go for a visit. go between july 4 and end of september. you won't want to leave.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbgirl99 View Post

How long did you live in Seattle and how did you like it. What part of Florida do you live in?

I visited Seattle the last 2 summers spending 6 weeks there this summer; summers are beautiful in Seattle. I too agree that visiting after July 4th is probably the nicest time of the year weather wise.

It has crossed my mind to consider living in Seattle but I am not sure if I can enjoy living there for most of the year with lack of sunshine, lots of rain(even though it is light rain), and pretty much depending on sweaters and jackets about 9-10 months of the year. Summers though, are probably the best in the USA in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida