U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2010, 08:21 AM

3,724 posts, read 6,605,735 times
This is a short and unbelievable video of Senator LeMieux. Obama says, "We can't deploy oil skimmers because they might be needed elsewhere." What a crock!
Florida Senator: Obama Told Me We Can

Last edited by TampaKaren; 06-23-2010 at 08:40 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,105,705 times
Containment cap has come off and oil is gushing again--reportedly two more workers dead:

BP yanks containment cap after problem, oil flows unimpeded into the Gulf | Raw Story

Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM

3,047 posts, read 4,538,683 times
Two people reported by Coast Guard to have died.

FOXNews.com - 2 People Involved in Gulf Oil Spill Cleanup Have Died, Coast Guard Reports (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/23/people-involved-gulf-oil-spill-cleanup-died-coast-guard-reports/ - broken link)

Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,542,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
This is a short and unbelievable video of Senator LeMieux. Obama says, "We can't deploy oil skimmers because they might be needed elsewhere." What a crock!
Florida Senator: Obama Told Me We Can
It's a BS political comment from a Tea Party publication, not news. Give me a break

Old 06-23-2010, 01:16 PM

3,724 posts, read 6,605,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
It's a BS political ad and comment from a Tea Party publication, not news. Give me a break
A FB friend also told me it was over dramatization, but it's our Florida State Senator nonetheless. If this is political BS, I'm PO'd.

And please don't Tea Party me. The YouTube has been published on several internet websites including Senator LeMieux's government site and his YouTube channel, this was just the link that was sent to me which I posted for convenience.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 06-23-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 03:13 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,542,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
A FB friend also told me it was over dramatization, but it's our Florida State Senator nonetheless. If this is political BS, I'm PO'd.

And please don't Tea Party me. The YouTube has been published on several internet websites including Senator LeMieux's government site and his YouTube channel, this was just the link that was sent to me which I posted for convenience.
There are all kinds of oil skimmers and they don't belong to the government. Why would Obama say they need them somewhere else, he doesn't own them. Most are no more then what you would use in an inlet where you may need to clean something minor that got spilled, if you took it out on the gulf they are not even seaworthy, it may sink on you. Not to mention the amount it can pick up and store is so minimal as to not even be worth the trouble.

Heck, they have trucks on barges now they are using that are actually intended to pick up water and clean out sewers, not clean up oil. Just wait till one of them explode or catch fire killing and a bunch of the volunteers out there. It is just a matter of time before something happens. It is real easy for an opportunist politician to run their mouth from the side lines while not offering any practical solutions. Palin said Obama needs to call her if he wants to know what to do about the oil spill. There is no shortage of idiots but few with anything to really offer. I wonder what the secret is Palin is keeping?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:50 PM

43,862 posts, read 25,306,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
It's a BS political comment from a Tea Party publication, not news. Give me a break
Making this situation a political platform is not productive.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 PM

43,862 posts, read 25,306,236 times
I think the government, along with the Coast Guard, have to take time to determine what is going to be done with barge tanks of contaminated crude oil full of toxic chemicals. There are OSHA regulations for dealing with this and skipping any steps will only result in a worse disaster than we already have. http://www.osha.gov/Publications/3172/3172.html

I used to work with the removal of contaminated fuel oil off of Naval carriers. The Coast Guard is in charge of dealing with any spill which may get into the ocean. They do know what they are doing and will make the best decisions based on the situation at hand. I think the President is wise to listen to their advice regardless of public opinion. We don't need knee jerk reactions, we need proper steps taken along the way to minimize illness and death to the coastal population.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,105,705 times
Oil soaks miles of Pensacola Beach - CNN.com

Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 PM

311 posts, read 498,437 times
William Allen Kruse: Boat Captain, Despondent Over Spill, Commits Suicide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida