U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM

77 posts, read 221,732 times

Advertisements

Instead of debating each other and playing politics, you guys need to pack up and get the hell out of there before mass panic sets in.

This is the worst environmental disaster of all time with no end in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 AM

62 posts, read 231,759 times
hate the be the bearer of bad news but:

Florida Could be in Serious Danger of Methane Gas Explosion - Salem-News.Com

Old 06-24-2010, 06:32 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,156,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninob1213 View Post
Here is a more detailed story and quite sobering. We may see a cascading of events and disasters.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dk-mat..._b_619095.html

Old 06-24-2010, 06:39 AM

I more complete story.
Fishing captain who took his own life remembered as generous, gregarious | al.com

Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,795,486 times
I agree it's serious, but the last few posts verge on teh hysterical. A methane explosion?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPP View Post
Instead of debating each other and playing politics, you guys need to pack up and get the hell out of there before mass panic sets in.

This is the worst environmental disaster of all time with no end in sight.
Who exactly is supposed to "pack up", the entire gulfcoast region? Where will they go, your house?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I agree it's serious, but the last few posts verge on teh hysterical. A methane explosion?
If you read the entire article and do some added reading on the subject, it is not as crazy as it sounds. No more then someone telling you the earth could move and buildings fall if you had never heard of earthquakes. The earth a a very active geological mass and we are at it's mercy in all cases.

Have you ever heard of "Super Volcanoes"? One sits right in the US in Yellowstone park and can wipe out, let me correct that, "Will wipe out", most of the population of the US at some time in the future and by the way, it is pretty active currently. In 2009 over 500 earthquake activities were detected in the park and have geologists worried. We are not talking about conspiracy theorists or people saying the world will end in 2012. Smart scientists have laid out some realistic scenarios of what can happen in the gulf with the right ingredients. Not so crazy at all and very interesting.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,841,605 times
A LOT of people here are in denial. We already have tickets out and are scheduled to fly out 7/3. Most people, especially the poor, wont leave even if they're told to evacuate. Think Katrina.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:30 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,871,508 times
HAHA you guys really need to do some serious investigations on these sources. One is a contribution from Maggie at Maggiesnotebook.com, which is a blogging site. You do understand that bloggers write articles to attract traffic. Traffic = Money. Oh and that map on her site that says its from NOAA.GOV. Good luck finding it.

Okay, Salem-News.com..... kind of funny there is another site salemnews.com as well. I wonder which paid more for their URL . Have you looked at some of the other article on Salem-News.com? Most of them are rhetoric.

Oh and here is an excerpt of the 'source' that gave Salem-News their information.

'Hoagland appears regularly as a Science Adviser on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory. Hoagland has also appeared on the BBC programs UFO Evidence & Conspiracy, and Mysteries in Space. Hoagland co-produced a radio program on WTIC (AM) of Hartford, Connecticut, The Night of the Encounter, which covered the July 14, 1965, Mariner 4 flyby of the planet Mars.[note 1] Hoagland authored the book The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever, and co-authored the book Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA, which was ranked 21st on the New York Times Best Seller list for Paperback Nonfiction briefly in 2007.'

I don;t know about you guys, but this guys sounds as reputable as they come!! Have you ever listened to Coast to Coast AM? Its entertaining, but that's it. IMO

Let's see what else. Oh here we go. Yes, there is an Associated Press article that speaks of high levels of Methane which can kill sea life and cause dead zones. No mention of a tsunami or gas killing people.....

Here are the links I am referencing.

Huge Methane Gas Bubble Under Gulf Floor? | Before It's News

Maggie's Notebook: Huge Methane Gas Bubble Under Gulf Floor?

Wasn't Salem the same town that thought innocent women were witches and they killed hundreds of them? Here's a link to that too....

Salem witch trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Too much rhetoric. I guess I shouldn't complain. Maybe rent will go down before I get to Tampa.

Last edited by FloridaKash; 06-24-2010 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Found a mpa with details on NOAA... but is referenced to oil not methane

Old 06-24-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
HAHA you guys really need to do some serious investigations on these sources. One is a contribution from Maggie at Maggiesnotebook.com, which is a blogging site. You do understand that bloggers write articles to attract traffic. Traffic = Money. Oh and that map on her site that says its from NOAA.GOV. Good luck finding it. Oh and not to mention NOAA does not use maps like the one evidenced on her blog. That is a Google or Bing Map... which NOAA.GOV does not use. Try to find a single map on NOAA.ORG that shows highways, state lines and small cities.

Okay, Salem-News.com..... kind of funny there is another site salemnews.com as well. I wonder which paid more for their URL . Have you looked at some of the other article on Salem-News.com? Most of them are rhetoric.

Oh and here is an excerpt of the 'source' that gave Salem-News their information.

'Hoagland appears regularly as a Science Adviser on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory. Hoagland has also appeared on the BBC programs UFO Evidence & Conspiracy, and Mysteries in Space. Hoagland co-produced a radio program on WTIC (AM) of Hartford, Connecticut, The Night of the Encounter, which covered the July 14, 1965, Mariner 4 flyby of the planet Mars.[note 1] Hoagland authored the book The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever, and co-authored the book Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA, which was ranked 21st on the New York Times Best Seller list for Paperback Nonfiction briefly in 2007.'

I don;t know about you guys, but this guys sounds as reputable as they come!! Have you ever listened to Coast to Coast AM? Its entertaining, but that's it. IMO

Let's see what else. Oh here we go. Yes, there is an Associated Press article that speaks of high levels of Methane which can kill sea life and cause dead zones. No mention of a tsunami or gas killing people.....

Here are the links I am referencing.

Huge Methane Gas Bubble Under Gulf Floor? | Before It's News

Maggie's Notebook: Huge Methane Gas Bubble Under Gulf Floor?

Wasn't Salem the same town that thought innocent women were witches and they killed hundreds of them? Here's a link to that too....

Salem witch trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Too much rhetoric. I guess I shouldn't complain. Maybe rent will go down before I get to Tampa.

I saw Coast to Coast (aka "kook to kook") referenced in that article and stopped reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida