U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
 
3,043 posts, read 6,854,245 times
Reputation: 896

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Great idea. Hay was used quite successfully in the Santa Barbara oil spill in '69. I don't know why it's not tried now.
Because BP owns the subsidiary that produces the chemical dispersants, I kid you not. The EPA has recently banned them from using any more of it. I guess they finally got them to turn over the ingredients and they weren't pleased by what's in it. I suspect they accounted for the sea turtle deaths where they could find no evidence of oil.

Maybe now they'll finally move to the tried and true green method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,168,027 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I was skeptical at first, but after watching the short video, these 2 guy's are onto something.



Cool solution to clean up oil disaster. [VIDEO]
Not really, what they are demonstrating is cohesion not absorption. The oil will stick to most anything, that is the problem. They can dump hay on the beach and it may help pick it up but on the water all it will do is mix with the oil and float around. It won't absorb it. When you pick it up for the most part the hay will absorb the water while the oil just drips off. Heck, cat litter will pick up oil for that matter. Human hair "WILL" actually pick up oil in fact hundreds times it's own weight and can be rung out and reused. These guys are trying to figure how to make a buck but their plan is all wet and I am very sure it has already been thought of and tried many years ago as have many other materials as people expermented. Kevin Costner the actor has a company of some kind to clean up oil spills. I saw a headline about it but haven't read the details yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,229 posts, read 5,697,812 times
Reputation: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Because BP owns the subsidiary that produces the chemical dispersants, I kid you not. The EPA has recently banned them from using any more of it. I guess they finally got them to turn over the ingredients and they weren't pleased by what's in it. I suspect they accounted for the sea turtle deaths where they could find no evidence of oil.

Maybe now they'll finally move to the tried and true green method.
Yeah, I read that too. Are we still the United States Of America or we just a Corporatocracy in need of a name change? Even our military is getting subbed out to corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,229 posts, read 5,697,812 times
Reputation: 5779
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Not really, what they are demonstrating is cohesion not absorption. The oil will stick to most anything, that is the problem. They can dump hay on the beach and it may help pick it up but on the water all it will do is mix with the oil and float around. It won't absorb it. When you pick it up for the most part the hay will absorb the water while the oil just drips off. Heck, cat litter will pick up oil for that matter. Human hair "WILL" actually pick up oil in fact hundreds times it's own weight and can be rung out and reused. These guys are trying to figure how to make a buck but their plan is all wet and I am very sure it has already been thought of and tried many years ago as have many other materials as people expermented. Kevin Costner the actor has a company of some kind to clean up oil spills. I saw a headline about it but haven't read the details yet.
I agree-there's no way those two came up with that idea on their own. Costner has some type of huge centrifuge to separate the oil and water. He's invested like 24 million dollars into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 PM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,168,027 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I agree-there's no way those two came up with that idea on their own. Costner has some type of huge centrifuge to separate the oil and water. He's invested like 24 million dollars into this.
I just watched a short news clip on the KC thing. It does work and it also recovers the oil so it can be used maybe paying for some of the cost as the job gets done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 PM
 
Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 810,847 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Yeah, I read that too. Are we still the United States Of America or we just a Corporatocracy in need of a name change? Even our military is getting subbed out to corporations.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 08:58 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee
3,926 posts, read 10,316,101 times
Reputation: 5212
Excellent coverage on CNN/Larry King last night. Phillippe Cousteau took a ~500ft diving trip into an oil tunnel. The images were absolutely heartbreaking. BP's priority now is obviously on stopping the leak. I would like to see some organized efforts on cleanup and damage control and less media/government barking and finger pointing. I feel really helpless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,168,027 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Excellent coverage on CNN/Larry King last night. Phillippe Cousteau took a ~500ft diving trip into an oil tunnel. The images were absolutely heartbreaking. BP's priority now is obviously on stopping the leak. I would like to see some organized efforts on cleanup and damage control and less media/government barking and finger pointing. I feel really helpless.
I saw that. The part that really made it real was to see a fish swimming through the oil. It was just a fish but it made me cry. This whole thing makes me sick and I don' mean figuratively. It sickens and angers me. These corporations be it oil, banks what ever who do these things in the name of profit are little more the terrorists. They destroy our country with little regard for anything but their own short term gains. Add to that our own government who are bought and sold, there is no other way to say it and we as citizens mean nothing.

People like the Tea party guys who believe they are taking things into their own hands are little more the stooges for a whole different group of what are political opportunists who will use them for their own gains. I doubt anything has changed for a thousand years, be it Rome or Washington, those in power are corrupt. I don't say it was their intention when they went into politics, many may in the beginning have had the highest of ideals but it is just the nature of the beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 19,812,089 times
Reputation: 2907
Some more images Oil Spill Pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Space Coast
263 posts, read 762,675 times
Reputation: 234
those make me want to cry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top