U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:34 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,108,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
those make me want to cry
Those pics have me in tears. Damn those responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,158,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
This is the scariest thing I have read so far. I was just coming here to post a link to this article.
I was listening to a scientist on Public radio and he ran through a possible scenario that was really sad. He was asked about the bacteria that eats the oil and wouldn't that ultimately fix it? He said that is the worst part. The bacteria as they eat the oil consume the oxygen. With that amount of oil the amount of bacteria will grow so fast they will completely turn parts of the gulf into dead zones where nothing at all can live.

It will intereupt the food chain as it kills off certain fish and a whole system will change. You will see a speedup of sort of an evolution so to speak. Some fish will disappear and others will migrate away never to be seen in the gulf again. The Gulf will permanently change. The fishing industry in some areas will not survive at all. The Gulf already had a dead zone even before this happened, this depending how extensive it gets could become a dead sea. He said the stuff they use to break up the oil speeds all this up as it breaks up the oil and makes it easier for the bacteria to eat it and grow. Either way the Gulf will never be the same again it is just a matter of degree.
I went ahead and did some reading and research on my own later and everything he said is true.
See link below.
http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/topics/deadzone/

Last edited by mango23; 05-28-2010 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 05:50 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,812,939 times
Quote:
BP are such a bunch of liars. The truth came out later yesterday afternoon - at the point the LA Times was reporting the leak had been stopped, Top Kill's *operation* had already been stopped for 15 hours and no one in the public was notified. Multi-billion dollar company and this guy comes out and says "everyone was so focused on the operation that we forgot to let the public know." Yeah, right...their PR dept must have been so focused on praying for the leak to stop, that no one had the time to let the American public know what was going on!! They're a textbook case in bad PR.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - BP official apologetic for not sharing more info about ‘top kill’ « - Blogs from CNN.com
I've been hearing 'outrage' expressed about the stopping of the pumping of mud for 16 hrs. Until I hear more convincing 'facts' I cannot get upset that that the pumping was halted for a period of time. It sounded reasonable that an assessment had to be made of the situation.

Why should I, Ms Jane Public, need to know this? Much has now been said about 'failure to inform The President'. Well do I remember the days, months, weeks, years of televised coverage after 911 and Katrina. I am severely not in the mood for 'Chicken Little' journalism this time around.

Grateful that the Pentagon released a statement saying that they have no expertise in offshore drilling --for those who seem to think the Government should 'Take Over'. The Pentagon has expertise in management--I suppose they could play a major role in the clean up of marshes, beaches and the ocean.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I've been hearing 'outrage' expressed about the stopping of the pumping of mud for 16 hrs. Until I hear more convincing 'facts' I cannot get upset that that the pumping was halted for a period of time. It sounded reasonable that an assessment had to be made of the situation.

Why should I, Ms Jane Public, need to know this? Much has now been said about 'failure to inform The President'. Well do I remember the days, months, weeks, years of televised coverage after 911 and Katrina. I am severely not in the mood for 'Chicken Little' journalism this time around.

Grateful that the Pentagon released a statement saying that they have no expertise in offshore drilling --for those who seem to think the Government should 'Take Over'. The Pentagon has expertise in management--I suppose they could play a major role in the clean up of marshes, beaches and the ocean.
The navy guy who is supposed to be in charge of overseeing the operation was on TV at 10am saying that it was going well and looked like it was working. Meantime they had no been pumping since midnight last and didn't start again till 6pm the following day. The point is, they did call a press conference and the poor fool that had to give it, a guy we are supposed to trust was unknowingly lying and made a fool of. BP don't give a s$it about us, the guys who died in the explosion or anything else beyond covering their own a$$.
Why did they lie at that press conference? They can not be trusted no matter what.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,796,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
The navy guy who is supposed to be in charge of overseeing the operation was on TV at 10am saying that it was going well and looked like it was working. Meantime they had no been pumping since midnight last and didn't start again till 6pm the following day. The point is, they did call a press conference and the poor fool that had to give it, a guy we are supposed to trust was unknowingly lying and made a fool of. BP don't give a s$it about us, the guys who died in the explosion or anything else beyond covering their own a$$.
Why did they lie at that press conference? They can not be trusted no matter what.
I heard that a memo or document was unearthed where BP was estimating the monetary value of a lost life on one of their rigs. Pretty cold. This was from before any of this stuff happened, too.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I just don't understand why stopping the pumping of mud for a period of time is indicative of deception--or that things were not going well.

I can't remember the explanation one person gave well enough to repeat it but it made sense. They pumped 'a lot' of mud for many hours and needed to analyze the results before continuing.

I may be gullible but this actually sounded reasonable.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I just don't understand why stopping the pumping of mud for a period of time is indicative of deception--or that things were not going well.

I can't remember the explanation one person gave well enough to repeat it but it made sense. They pumped 'a lot' of mud for many hours and needed to analyze the results before continuing.

I may be gullible but this actually sounded reasonable.
Why did they call a press conference saying it was working while at the same time they had stopped for what eve reason. Their excuse made sense but the timing was not correct. They didn't come up with the excuse till people found out they were not pumping. This is all neither here nor there since they are shutting it down for good because it isn't working anyway. Not one expert not even Pickens said it would work. In fact Pickens said the odds were slim a top kill would work even at ground level much less 5000 feet below the gulf. They are putting on a dog and pony show because they don't know what else to do.

This deep well drilling is only like 10 years old as it is. The fact is, they are doing something where they don't honestly know what they are doing. They are learning as they go. Now they have learned a real lesson in what happens when you have no contingency in case of an emergency. In other words, they are playing with fire that they have no means to put out if something goes wrong and have been since they started this kind of deep drilling. I would rather see them drill in Alaska where it is perfectly safe then in deep waters. I don't know about you but I was shocked to learn just how many platforms are actually out there. It is something like 4000 with most drilling in the shelf areas (much safer) and not deep drilling. We are all learning as this goes on. It is certainly interesting and eye opening.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:58 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,916,065 times
Yeah it's failed. This is terrible:

BP fails to plug oil well with top kill | Reuters

Old 05-29-2010, 05:45 PM

31,108 posts, read 19,537,193 times
Quote:
BP are such a bunch of liars. The truth came out later yesterday afternoon - at the point the LA Times was reporting the leak had been stopped, Top Kill's *operation* had already been stopped for 15 hours and no one in the public was notified. Multi-billion dollar company and this guy comes out and says "everyone was so focused on the operation that we forgot to let the public know." Yeah, right...their PR dept must have been so focused on praying for the leak to stop, that no one had the time to let the American public know what was going on!! They're a textbook case in bad PR.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - BP official apologetic for not sharing more info about ‘top kill’ « - Blogs from CNN.com
They all probably wanted to safely get out of the country first!

Old 05-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Why did they call a press conference saying it was working while at the same time they had stopped for what eve reason. Their excuse made sense but the timing was not correct. They didn't come up with the excuse till people found out they were not pumping. This is all neither here nor there since they are shutting it down for good because it isn't working anyway. Not one expert not even Pickens said it would work. In fact Pickens said the odds were slim a top kill would work even at ground level much less 5000 feet below the gulf. They are putting on a dog and pony show because they don't know what else to do.

This deep well drilling is only like 10 years old as it is. The fact is, they are doing something where they don't honestly know what they are doing. They are learning as they go. Now they have learned a real lesson in what happens when you have no contingency in case of an emergency. In other words, they are playing with fire that they have no means to put out if something goes wrong and have been since they started this kind of deep drilling. I would rather see them drill in Alaska where it is perfectly safe then in deep waters. I don't know about you but I was shocked to learn just how many platforms are actually out there. It is something like 4000 with most drilling in the shelf areas (much safer) and not deep drilling. We are all learning as this goes on. It is certainly interesting and eye opening.
Eye-opening and shocking --yes, the things I am learning are absolutely terrifying.
It gives me a queasy feeling to think that with the brightest and the best in the engineering/oil field we can't fix this. One article said the pressure of the earth is too great or something to that effect.

It sounds like 'The Government' should have thought about such a disaster --'a long time ago'--and I don't want to enter the realm of 'Why This Was Not a Priority'---familiar with the support for off shore drilling, etc.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/05...-into-the-Gulf

~~~~~~~
That work is underway, but could take another 60 days or more to complete. Using the higher estimates, by then up to another 1.2 million barrels of oil could have leaked out, putting the total at nearly 2 million barrels. The Exxon Valdez spilled 257,000 barrels. At the current rate, emptying the entire Macondo deposit would take just over 7 years.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I want 'My President' to start doing things. I am still wondering why panic buttons weren't hit weeks ago. There are a few things that can be done and as far as I am concerned there is no excuse for 'sitting around'.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-29-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida