U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:39 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,157,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I read somewhere that this wouldnt work in the gulf because of the softer consistency of the sea floor. Apparently, the ones where it works are mostly rocky.
It doesn't matter, it would slow the leak to a trickle till they could drill the relief wells. The whole mess could have been avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Do you think this is going to cause permanent political damage to Obama?
Who cares, there are more important things then elections. He is attacked 24/7 as it is anyway, if it wasn't this it would be something else. If this had turned out to be nothing and he had overreacted he would have been attacked for that.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:43 AM

4,225 posts, read 5,679,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
I don't think we should trust any of these nitwits with a nuclear device. Besides, I don't believe hardly any of Russian propaganda. Their safety record with all things nuclear is a little suspect.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I don't think we should trust any of these nitwits with a nuclear device. Besides, I don't believe hardly any of Russian propaganda. Their safety record with all things nuclear is a little suspect.
You don't need nuclear just enough to stop it temporarily till they can drill the relief wells. It may be too late now. Perhaps a blast now would interfear with the wells they are drilling depending on where they are.
I know one thing, any time table they have given you can take with a grain on salt. Forget about August, we may still be having this conversation in January.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
You don't need nuclear just enough to stop it temporarily till they can drill the relief wells. It may be too late now. Perhaps a blast now would interfear with the wells they are drilling depending on where they are.
I know one thing, any time table they have given you can take with a grain on salt. Forget about August, we may still be having this conversation in January.
I wanted to come back and add this if you haven't been doing a lot of reading on this subject. This is what they are trying to do and it isn't the piece of cake BP would have you to believe.

"But the best-case scenario of sealing the leak is two relief wells being drilled diagonally into the gushing well tricky business that won't be ready until August.
"The probability of them hitting it on the very first shot is virtually nil," said David Rensink, incoming president of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, who spent most of his 39 years in the oil industry in offshore exploration. "If they get it on the first three or four shots they'd be very lucky."
For the bid to succeed, the bore hole must precisely intersect the damaged well. If it misses, BP will have to back up its drill, plug the hole it just created, and try again.
The trial-and-error process could take weeks, but it will eventually work, scientists and BP said. Then engineers will then pump mud and cement through pipes to ultimately seal the well"

Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 809,154 times
At what point do we throw BP off of this situation and bring in a new company with new ideas? Everything I read about seems to point to BP being not up to date with the latest technology in all phases of oil production...

It is unacceptable for us to just sit on our a%%es until August! That can't be the consensus. There won't be an east coast left by then because the amount of oil will be long in the Gulf Stream and headed up to Cape Cod....

Old 05-31-2010, 11:39 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,841,605 times
This is a great site...they are mapping and collecting incident reports for oil seen onshore, smoke, odor, etc....

Oil Spill Crisis Map

Old 06-01-2010, 05:47 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,795,862 times
I'm not allowed to post this here, because it's from youtube, but yesterday there were indications the oil was moving towards Tampa Bay.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM

3,043 posts, read 6,841,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I'm not allowed to post this here, because it's from youtube, but yesterday there were indications the oil was moving towards Tampa Bay.
You're allowed to post Youtube videos.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,111,919 times
PENSACOLA BEACH, Fla. — A Florida beach might get hit with oil from the Deepwater Horizon accident for the first time Wednesday as sheen likely caused by the accident was reported less than 10 miles off Pensacola Beach.

Oil could hit Florida Panhandle by Wednesday (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/oil-could-hit-florida-panhandle-by-wednesday-720986.html - broken link)

Florida's tourism is vital to getting the entire state's economy back up and running. This oil leak could do some real damage to the state's road to economic recovery.

Hopefully, not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida