Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 PM

12 posts, read 39,176 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have been reading & enjoying these boards for some time and this is my first post. My husband, I and our 14 month old are looking to relocate from NY to Seminole County. However, one of our biggest concerns is the use of Pesticides in FL (both from Mosquito control-aerial spraying, trucks,etc. and lawn treatment -which I believe is necessary in FL).

I am desperately trying to figure out IF indeed this is a valid concern. Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated on this subject. Some questions I do have are:

-Do you let your kids (even pets) play on in your yards/lawns that are treated?
-If so, how long do you wait after the treatment to let them on it?
-If you have your lawn treated are fire ants still an issue for kids playing in the yard?
-Do you know of any GOOD resources that quantify these risks? I see lots on agricultural pesticide use, but am more interested in just general population everyday residential life exposure (for ex. are rates higher for Asthma, Leukemia, etc in say Florida and other high pesticide usage states).

Thanks!!

Last edited by willow2270; 04-17-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 01:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,398,444 times
I don't have kids, but I do have dogs. So with that said, when we have the yard sprayed usually every three months or so, we usually wait till the yard/patio is dry before we let them outside. It can take 3 hours to dry or more depending on how sunny and hot it is that day. Just have the yard sprayed in the morning while they are in school, so when they get home it should be dry. If there are any wet spots on the patio I usually clean it up before I let the dogs out. We don't have a red ant problem, red ants are a sign of something I can't remember what it was. Maybe be because we have the yard sprayed.

As for the mosquito spraying, well that time of the year, your kids will not be outside that much anyways. At least I don't see the kids in my neighborhood out at that time of the year as it is just way to hot to be outside, unless you are in the pool.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,010,790 times
I share your concern. The use of pesticides is out of control in Florida. I doubt most people even realize how dangerous these pesticides are to humans and pets. They are, of course, based on the Zyklon -b gas developed by the Nazis. No joke. Pesticides are very dangerous.

You also need to be aware of where your home is located. If it is built on an old grove, there may be pesticides in the ground. Also, new homes have the ground under the slab saturated with pesticide before the slab is poured. People don't realize that the concrete slab is permeable and those pesticides wil find their way indoors. Small children, especially toddlers and crawlers, and pets, are low to the ground and exposed to this stuff.

I would never treat my home. I do use spot spray if absolutely required, but much prefer diatomaceous earth and other natural repellents.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,050 times
Does anyone know a source for diatomaceous earth in Palm Beach County, Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: