U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:43 PM

177 posts, read 322,450 times

Advertisements

I've got a lot to learn and to explore, but I am considering retiring to Florida. It seems trite but I find I can't take the depressing winters up north and I want SUNSHINE.

My question is: is FL surviving okay? has the crime gotten bad? do you have to pay a fortune for a quality place to live? has the climate change and storms had an effect, do you think?

What's the best spot? For me that means low crime, some charm and good weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 05:36 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,576,930 times
Low crime is hard to find in FL. Pick a rich area for less crime. Weather is hell from mid May to mid Oct.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:27 PM

3,751 posts, read 2,968,184 times
"Good weather" is open to interpretation. If you like it hot and humid-just stick a pin in the map. As far as low crime-the boon docks probably have LOWER crime. You asked is Florida surviving okay-not from what I see presently, but maybe the state will bounce back if it changes the way it does business. Florida is a freak show and unlike anywhere else-some love it, some hate it.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 AM

5,453 posts, read 4,054,835 times
If you want to be BORED to DEATH then retire here...I live under the impression that just because someone's retired, they are still alive! Aren't they? Here everywhere you drive you end up on another beach...Tampa is a much better CITY business and PPL wise that other cities in FL, but FL is FL and any activity for the "mind" and "culture" is for the rich...of course not everyone is into that SADLY....but if you're just into football and beaches then sure retire here...I would never retire here...I'd retire in NY CIty where I can never be bored! Weather is questioable and impredictible with the exception of the very humid heat that we have from now til November....we had several hurricanes in 2004...then not much since...tornadoes are even more dangerous...we have 2 seasons: "hot" and "less hot" when the temps go down to 30's and the humidity makes that worst than shoveling snow!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:32 AM

3,633 posts, read 2,815,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
I've got a lot to learn and to explore, but I am considering retiring to Florida. It seems trite but I find I can't take the depressing winters up north and I want SUNSHINE.

My question is: is FL surviving okay? has the crime gotten bad? do you have to pay a fortune for a quality place to live? has the climate change and storms had an effect, do you think?

What's the best spot? For me that means low crime, some charm and good weather.

climate change?....do u mean that hoax that Al Gore was pushing to make money?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM

177 posts, read 322,450 times
Default razor

I don't need your snide comments. If you can't be helpful, log off

Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 AM

1,317 posts, read 788,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
climate change?....do u mean that hoax that Al Gore was pushing to make money?
That was manbearpig. Half man, half bear, half pig.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 2,815,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
I don't need your snide comments. If you can't be helpful, log off
LOL...Attack me instead of the comment....lol...seems to be a theme on here...I don't talk directly about a person on here because I am not in the same room as you, but I guess you need to be tough....lol..nice job..I'm really intimidated now...Just because you disagree with the truth doesn't mean you need to attack me personally...I just thought your comment was funny because climate change is a hoax

Old 05-09-2010, 12:12 PM

131,621 posts, read 43,977,552 times
It will be what you make it not what I or others think. Same if I moved to NYC. It would be what I made it. Personable responsibility makes or breaks the deal.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:18 PM

2,764 posts, read 2,724,035 times
Dear megonow,

When you ask a baited question like "Florida Heaven or Hell?" you attract all the bored nutballs who are trolling for a good fight.

Florida is everything. It is beautiful sky, wide open sandy beaches, it can be an exciting happening place or it can be a stretch of nothingness. It can be cattle farms, it can be Disney, it can be high rises overlooking the ocean, or quaint Old Florida towns. It can be bustling cities (or not so bustling) and it can be squalor. Crime is everywhere in the world, it's not exclusive to Florida and as far as paying a fortune... what's a fortune? One man's fortune is another man's pocket change. Good luck in your search. Don't rely on the internet. Come on down and look for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida