U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,159,519 times
Reputation: 1071

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I agree Nomad. Mango is all wet with his premise. The businesses that have died may well have had many reasons for going out of business, including poorly run, underfunded start up, high prices, poor business practices, and yes, even the economy. But for everyone who has gone out, I see three times that thriving. Everyone has tightened their belts and is running sleeker operations. That's only a good thing imo.
So school teachers being laid off by the hundreds, it is their fault? I guess they didn't work hard enough. If you go in Home Depot you can't find a salesman on the floor they have cut back so far. There are layoff in every business no matter how large. They may try to put up a good front and stay profitable but people are losing jobs regardless and it is not their fault. Many thought they had a career and a future. I think you better get in touch with someone because Washington thinks things are bad. You better give them a call so they can stop that unemployment extension. It is a good thing you are around, the rest of us just don't seem to know what is going on. Thank you.

By the way, your comment that for everyone you see going out of business you see three doing well. You accept 25% going out of business in your town as normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
916 posts, read 2,279,324 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
So school teachers being laid off by the hundreds, it is their fault? I guess they didn't work hard enough. If you go in Home Depot you can't find a salesman on the floor they have cut back so far. There are layoff in every business no matter how large. They may try to put up a good front and stay profitable but people are losing jobs regardless and it is not their fault. Many thought they had a career and a future. I think you better get in touch with someone because Washington thinks things are bad. You better give them a call so they can stop that unemployment extension. It is a good thing you are around, the rest of us just don't seem to know what is going on. Thank you.

By the way, your comment that for everyone you see going out of business you see three doing well. You accept 25% going out of business in your town as normal?
Unfortunately teaching just isn't in demand right now and there is a surplus of young people going to school to get burger flipping degrees like teaching these days...

Its not that these people aren't hard working they just make poor decisions regarding career fields to get into... Sometimes you have to learn a new skill and pick a new career, otherwise you are just stuck complaining about a career field that YOU chose and blaming it on the "economy"...

Software developers, medical professionals, and engineers are not having trouble finding jobs right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,520,547 times
Reputation: 1736
Well a few of the consistent members who post how things are all "sunshine and unicorns", seem to try, and I say TRY to make some of us who don't pull the wool over our eyes or wear the rose colored glasses look like we know nothing, or are pulling pitty cries. I have said I have a good job, I am fine. I tell it like I see it. I drive to and from Cape Coral, and I see a lot of closed signs, a LOT of them. Some of uswho have been north back and forth came back to this place on a job calling, not because I could not wait to get back here... I did not want to be here to begin with. I know the ropes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,159,519 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
Unfortunately teaching just isn't in demand right now and there is a surplus of young people going to school to get burger flipping degrees like teaching these days...

Its not that these people aren't hard working they just make poor decisions regarding career fields to get into... Sometimes you have to learn a new skill and pick a new career, otherwise you are just stuck complaining about a career field that YOU chose and blaming it on the "economy"...

Software developers, medical professionals, and engineers are not having trouble finding jobs right now...
So the economy is just fine? Glad to hear it. A teacher working for years now getting laid off , it is their fault for choosing such a lousy career.
Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,520,547 times
Reputation: 1736
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
So the economy is just fine? Glad to hear it. A teacher working for years now getting laid off , it is their fault for choosing such a lousy career.
Amazing.
You didn't hear? The economy turned overnight, everything is back to pre Bush!!! It's all A-OK now!!! Housing in FL is doubling in value, because some of the members on CD have said so!!!! It's a Christmas Miracle!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
916 posts, read 2,279,324 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
So the economy is just fine? Glad to hear it. A teacher working for years now getting laid off , it is their fault for choosing such a lousy career.
Amazing.
I'm not saying the economy is fine but there are ways to get around the problems it presents... You have to adapt, right now the supply for teachers outweigh the demand so why not get into a field that is in greater demand?... I realize it is easier said than done but it beats just sitting where you are at hoping that the demand for your job will suddenly change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 AM
 
310 posts, read 773,271 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post

Software developers, medical professionals, and engineers are not having trouble finding jobs right now...

My husband with a master's degree in engineering and 20 years experience in the business was laid off in Jan. 2009 and just found permanent work locally last month. That's with multiple headhunters working with him across the US (we were willing to relocate). From June '09 through February '10 there was not ONE single interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 19,776,356 times
Reputation: 2906
I know a few people that have been out of work for almost two years now. Florida is no where close to being ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Warner Robins, GA
916 posts, read 2,279,324 times
Reputation: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappleganger View Post
My husband with a master's degree in engineering and 20 years experience in the business was laid off in Jan. 2009 and just found permanent work locally last month. That's with multiple headhunters working with him across the US (we were willing to relocate). From June '09 through February '10 there was not ONE single interview.
I don't know what to say... I am a 22 year old software developer with 5 years experience and an AAS degree... I am originally from MD and I sent one resume down here and got hired almost right away... I also sent one resume out while living here and got an offer a week later... Some fields are booming right now, even in FL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 06:14 PM
 
310 posts, read 773,271 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I don't know what to say... I am a 22 year old software developer with 5 years experience and an AAS degree... I am originally from MD and I sent one resume down here and got hired almost right away... I also sent one resume out while living here and got an offer a week later... Some fields are booming right now, even in FL...
LOL, you're only 22 yrs old--that's why you were hired! Nobody wants to pay for experienced workers with the credentials and degrees any longer. Fields are only 'booming' for cheap entry-level noobs who are willing to work for next to nothing.

Sorry, but you haven't been on the planet long enough to understand how the working world works. We've survived four major layoffs over the past 21 years and this has been by far and away the worst, and the jobs lookout is worse than bleak. There are many professional jobs which will never return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:36 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top