Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:22 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I'm not saying no one has the right to complain in Florida, or that things are super fantastic on the economic front; that obviously isn't the case. But the potential for economic improvement is there.
Atleast Detroit had industry, You can't support a family on potential.. or a Taco Bell salary for that matter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 05:25 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Atleast Detroit had industry, You can't support a family on potential.. or a Taco Bell salary for that matter...
Detroit's got nothing now. Not even potential.

I was just off reading that although the official unemployment rate is 30%, city leaders believe the actual jobless rate is 50%. Yikes.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Detroit's got nothing now. Not even potential.

I was just off reading that although the official unemployment rate is 30%, city leaders believe the actual jobless rate is 50%. Yikes.
I believe it, From what I heard the city has been dead for years with the exception of Ford and GM.

Funny little bit of info... When I lived in Nashville they built the Saturn plant in Spring Hill (about 30-40 minutes south of Nashville) and they moved TONS of employees from Detroit down to work in this plant and you could really see nothing but Michigan plates in this town for awhile.. That plant shut down last I heard..

I hope they can find a way to re-invent the city. I've always wanted to visit.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:51 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Detroit has close to 25% true UE now. I don't think FL is anywhere near that

Seriously, this BBC documentary on Detroit was eye-opening and saddening to say the least:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OpXhd7iau8

Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
I'll have to watch that. I'm almost afraid to

My sister lives there still (in the suburbs. She and her husband both work in the city). She says she doesn't have to worry about rush hour anymore. No one's going to work. I drive around here and I'm stopped in traffic. I don't see burned out buildings no matter which direction I drive. It feels much more vibrant here.

Just a bit of perspective.

I really hope it finds a way to reinvent itself, too, TX. Sadly, I don't even think that's possible.

Last edited by Maggi07; 07-04-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM

109 posts, read 439,915 times
Maggi07, I have to agree with you. There will always be a certain stigma attached to southern Florida and in certain areas ,their fate is cast in stone but I believe Florida on a whole has more potential than any other State for true econimic growth, I can see with proper development regulations and tax based incentives for business, Florida has a real shot of getting out of the negative transition mode it is in. When people look past the past carpt bagger mentality and look at the actual resources both in climate and work force with a little help from the State, they can over come any negatives and attract quality retired people as well as a young well educated work force. I put the burden on the State to open this area up without misconceptions, cultural clashes and "old Boy" bullxxxx that holds back growth in so many rural areas that clash with liberal intergration.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
I put the burden on the State to open this area up without misconceptions, cultural clashes and "old Boy" bullxxxx that holds back growth in so many rural areas that clash with liberal intergration.
The "old boy" BS is necessary to some degree so we don't end up like the next California. FL needs to continue to remain fiscally conservative and avoid the tendency to turn into another liberal spend-crazy welfare state.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The "old boy" BS is necessary to some degree so we don't end up like the next California. FL needs to continue to remain fiscally conservative and avoid the tendency to turn into another liberal spend-crazy welfare state.
At some point they're going to have to give out money...

The more people that loses their jobs, The less people are out buying things and paying taxes, The more people lose their jobs and can't afford things, There are more empty houses are sitting there, not having property taxes paid..

The state is losing money. Florida needs to find a way to start luring companies into the state and creating jobs. Start giving big companies tax breaks and cheap land so they'll bring jobs. The more people employed and making good money, the more taxes you collect. the more taxes you collect, the richer you are as a state.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
The state is losing money. Florida needs to find a way to start luring companies into the state and creating jobs. Start giving big companies tax breaks and cheap land so they'll bring jobs. The more people employed and making good money, the more taxes you collect. the more taxes you collect, the richer you are as a state.
sounds good to me, but that's a lot different than places like CA and NY which spend more on medicaid and welfare than anywhere else in the country, per-capita. That kind of spending doesn't bring sustainable jobs.

TX has the right model in that regard.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 PM

109 posts, read 439,915 times
Maggi07, thank you for the rep. coming from a person with your many posts and reputation, I really appreciate it. As far as the following comments and posts. At one time I was a County Supervisor for 4 districts and The first State meeting I attended happened to be in the 80's when we had some financial restrictions and the State made it very clear that as long as there was any money to siphon off they were in control, when the money dried up, we were on our own. It was not said in that many words but that was the bottom line. It came out to how do you survive as a small county or a small town, which in reality aplies to every level from the smallest town on up. First you have to understand the nature of politics and the system. If you know how the game is played and use the special interest groups and learn how to press for grants, you would be surprised at what you can do. I will use our small town of about 800 pop. versus the next town (6 miles away) Shell Lake learned the system and how to apply for grants and was able to get into several TIF programs that gave the downtown area a chance to revitilize the town, they were able to create a "by the Lake" outdoor Pavillion that brings in tourists, they created a 250 household subdivision which was sold out the first year by being able to sell large lots with city water and sewer with the only stipulation was that you build a home within 18 months and it had to meet certain standards. You could purchase a lot with electric, water, paved streets, city sewer for around $2,000.00. What an incentive. Now in addition they basically did the same thing buy giving business an incentive and created a " industrial park. This worked in the same way the subdivision did, it pulled tax dollars into the city. Sure, they had to pay the piper down the line but in the meantime, we of a town of 800 have better housing, jobs and lower tax base than the next town of 2,600 pop. I realize these are small numbers but the theory is correct, give the businesses the ability to expand or move to your area through incentives and they will stop sending all their **** overseas. It is just an economic thing. Florida has the work force, they have the climate, they have the infrustuctre now they need some help pulling it together. My only problem is I do not know how to do spell check on this thing and type faster than I can without making mistakes so I can come offf rather ignorant. Sorry abou t that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida