Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:47 PM

339 posts, read 2,205,019 times

Advertisements

I thought Florida was supposed to be a fast-growing area, and while its been hit hard by the recession, is the doom and gloom a lot posters here really that bad or is it exaggerated? Shouldn't Florida be able to rebound and continue to grow once the recession is over? I mean, its not like Florida is the only place lagging behind ITE...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 08:00 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
I am doing ok down here, live in a great place where I also work, but wife has been looking for a year and a half for a job. Economy is however worse in this county(Lee) than anywhere in the USA... I post pretty much doom and gloom of the heat down here I am sick of...

Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Many major areas of FLorida are in hard economic times. The Panhandle area is for sure . Generally, the people who have a financial cushion to fall back on and have been debt free are doing ok, but many have lost their jobs due to cutbacks and home foreclosures have resulted in huge numbers .

Old 05-09-2010, 03:09 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post

I thought Florida was supposed to be a fast-growing area, and while it's been hit hard by the recession, is the doom and gloom a lot posters here really that bad or is it exaggerated? Shouldn't Florida be able to rebound and continue to grow once the recession is over?
In general, it is not a question of recession, it is a question of a nation in decline.

In particular, it depends on one's skills. For example, people with skills in bio-technologies, whether applied to agriculture, medicine or energy, have better chances of increasing incomes going forward than the average worker.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 AM

63 posts, read 255,616 times
Default Jobs in Fl

My parents winter in Ocala and they said that restaurants, retail stores, drug stores and such are still hiring. When people say there are no jobs do they mean there are only low paying meanial jobs?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 AM

112 posts, read 282,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlip4Carl View Post
My parents winter in Ocala and they said that restaurants, retail stores, drug stores and such are still hiring. When people say there are no jobs do they mean there are only low paying meanial jobs?
yeP mcdonnals is hiring but can you payyour rent with that salary?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:11 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
You have to look at education as well. An interesting study released by the Brookings Institute shows Miami as a "Diverse Giant" (low population growth, high diversity, high educational attainment) and also shows a 12% difference in employment of those with a bachelors as opposed to just a high school diploma.

I'm not sure a lot of it is exaggerated as much as those that have a problem finding work may well be the 'problem' themselves, whether that be due to education, attitude, or whatnot.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
FL's economy depends on any number of variables depending on your education or trade. For us who have lived through multiple economic cycles we may see things through a different window. Years ago I heard the author of this book speak. It's a good read and explains some of the variables. Since this writing the global economy has changed with the out sourcing and so forth. Florida is not exempt from the tides of change and the economic roller coasters any more than the "Rust Belt" for an example. Some can come to FL and get out of the pan to only wind up in the fire. For others it's new opportunity. Those whom insist only working at a job they like and want that there is no demand for because many more had the same desire and got those jobs first if the even existed are not going to do well. Attitude and aptitude are both required to make a go of it in FL. It's not the state, it's the people that can or cannot adapt that make for bad or good times. You may have a PhD in history and have to drive a taxi while a trade school plumber is making a good living. My 2¢ of ramblings.

A good read

Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Because the Florida economy is so closely linked to the strength of the national economy, the state will continue to linger behind most other states in its recovery. Unfortunately, the state's lifeblood, tourism, has experienced (and will continue to feel) the national economic dysfunction as personal income diminishes and less monies are available to be spent upon luxuries (for example vacations & second homes). Florida is a state too dependent upon the dollars of the out-of-state spender(s) to pay the bills of its speculative growth, instead of, investing in a framework of the future.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
I thought Florida was supposed to be a fast-growing area, and while its been hit hard by the recession, is the doom and gloom a lot posters here really that bad or is it exaggerated? Shouldn't Florida be able to rebound and continue to grow once the recession is over? I mean, its not like Florida is the only place lagging behind ITE...
I haven't read what others have written but it is bad from what I can see. I just got back about an hour ago from another trip and I am getting a strange perception. All I do is pass closed up businesses and I mean a load of them. All these places employed people who are now out of work. Many of these places look recently closed, signs still on the buildings as if they just left over night. Many small business just get by as it is living on the edge and it doesn't take much and they are gone along with the jobs they provided. I don't see how this can be turned around any time soon.

The downtown's and business districts in almost every city are beginning to look like ghost towns punctuated with empty buildings. Think I am exaggerating, just drive around your own town no matter where you live in Florida and take notice, it will begin to sink in what kind of shape this state is really in. Forget numbers they quote or what they say on the news about that things are getting better, they are not, not here.

I don't care where you work or who you work for your job is not secure. Bosses may put up a good front then you come to work and find a closed notice on the door. I know of one restaurant that actually did this. People came to work to find they had no more jobs and their last paychecks where no good. The owner never said a word. I honestly have no idea what the near future for Florida is. I would hate to be one of those out there living from paycheck to paycheck depending on their job being there for them in the future.

You know, even business that just are laying off and cutting back often never rehire. Threw necessity they learn to run their companies more efficiently and find they can make more profits with a scaled back work force and a better run company. Those jobs never come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida