U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 PM

29 posts, read 33,266 times

Advertisements

We are working now yes! saving up for july move. BARE MINIMUM works fine!! not looking for a 9$ an hour job right away! First step is getting there and finding A job. working 20...30. hrs a week and minimum wage is fine. wherever. We will do anything, were young and have open availability. We want to live close to the beach. within 5min walking distance. Doesnt really matter though. We found numerous places to live around 600 a month for a SMALL studio. the plan is to work as many hours possible so we really dont care where we live. Wont be home at all. you have to realize that we are kept right now...in a home for 6..7 months outta the year. So work and beach time is the current plan. and it IS possible with a bare minumal wage job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 03:42 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,512,809 times
LOL... ok...... Let us know how it works after a few months. Anxious to hear. It was you who asked for "desperate advice" right? Why ask for advice when you don't want to hear it?

Old 05-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Ever see this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

Old 05-16-2010, 03:51 PM

there is no way at all that if you apply for 20 jobs in a 2 day period not one employer will call back. Theres follow up calls and a thing called persistance. Something i was taught growing up. but to be told its helpless and over 400 people get told No? its not right. are people just so layed back and expect a job to find them. I have never once had an issue finding a job.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiercePhoenix3 View Post
there is no way at all that if you apply for 20 jobs in a 2 day period not one employer will call back. Theres follow up calls and a thing called persistance. Something i was taught growing up. but to be told its helpless and over 400 people get told No? its not right. are people just so layed back and expect a job to find them. I have never once had an issue finding a job.
FiercePhoenix, one thing I can tell you is that there ARE people on this forum who have come here with the determination that you have and have found jobs rather quickly. Most of us just wanted to let you know what the overall situation is. If you have experience and you are really persistent and do the follow up calls, visits whatever, you will stand out in a crowd. Just because masses of people apply for a job does not mean those masses will be right for a job for one reason or another.

Anyway, best of luck to you, Ft. Lauderdale is kind of a pricey town, but if that doesn't work out there are a lot of other nice coastal cities in Florida.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Yep, well good luck with that, hope it works out for you guys. Seriously. If not, remember this thread.

I can find a job in a day, but I have 16 years experience in what I do and great references. Also have experience in 2 other lines of work as backup. I came to FL in 1994(different world then). I made it when I came here with no job, I worked for a temp agency for a few months before I was hired at a property in Winter Park as a maintenance technician. Within 3 months I was the assistant supervisor. 3 years later I became a supervisor at my first property. From then on I have done well. I knew nothing about the business either. So it CAN be done. It might be harder now though.

Tell you what though. My boss and his wife are retiring in 3 weeks, they put an ad in for thier positions here. Over 300 resumes later... YES, 300 in 5 days. 8 of them were chosen for Monday and Tuesday for interviews. Job to application percentage is where it is. Best buy, 10 jobs, 600+ applications. Cream of the crop chosen, you better know how to sell yourself.

Last edited by ChrisA70; 05-16-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
FiercePhoenix, one thing I can tell you is that there ARE people on this forum who have come here with the determination that you have and have found jobs rather quickly. Most of us just wanted to let you know what the overall situation is. If you have experience and you are really persistent and do the follow up calls, visits whatever, you will stand out in a crowd. Just because masses of people apply for a job does not mean those masses will be right for a job for one reason or another.

Anyway, best of luck to you, Ft. Lauderdale is kind of a pricey town, but if that doesn't work out there are a lot of other nice coastal cities in Florida.
You are right. They may get here and get lucky. Persistence pays off. Last year when I was drowning up in MA, I applied from up there, hired from out of state. Had a job after 2 weeks of getting here. I took that job that I did not like much just to have a job, then got to where I am now.

When they get here, take anything. And work thier way up from there. F.L. is pretty expensive isn't it? Jacksonville has what seems like many more jobs right now.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
You are right. They may get here and get lucky. Persistence pays off. Last year when I was drowning up in MA, I applied from up there, hired from out of state. Had a job after 2 weeks of getting here. I took that job that I did not like much just to have a job, then got to where I am now.

When they get here, take anything. And work thier way up from there. F.L. is pretty expensive isn't it? Jacksonville has what seems like many more jobs right now.
well the ONLY reason We are choosing FT L is because of the many more businesses. from what we hear its a party town. I already worked for best buy. I have good references from store managers as well. We will have cash for atleast 3 months living. I have yet to ever been unemployed for more than 4 days since i was 16. I have had atleast 25 jobs in the past 4 years of my life and i am not proud of that. LOL FLORIDA IS WARM AND SUNNY ALL THE TIME, i almost peed myself that was so funny. wht are some other areas with good businesses? also

What are the BAD neighborhoods where crime is extremely bad?!?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:28 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,183,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiercePhoenix3 View Post
I think you might be surprised how difficult it is to find a job. We ran an ad for one day and had over 250 resumes. One day. We called 10 of them. Hired one.

Don't be fooled into thinking it is cheap to live in Florida. It's not. The cost of living here is the same as anywhere else. Apartments are expensive. Cheap apratments are cheap for a reason-bad neighborhoods. Think about what you are doing.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,237,095 times
You are going to go from the frying pan into the fire.

Buffalo unemployment rate is 8.6. Fort Lauderdale is 11.5.

And with that track record, you are not going to get hired. There are far too many people that have a better resume than you.

And if you don't have a job you are going to have a tough time getting approved for an apartment.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or