U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,517,783 times

Advertisements

Most important thing.... GO WHERE THE JOBS ARE, not where the beach is... sheesh!!!! No matter where you live down here you are near a beach, so you have to drive there, big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 04:58 PM

29 posts, read 33,297 times
I agree 100%. That's our focus

Old 05-17-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiercePhoenix3 View Post
I agree 100%. That's our focus
I would rather you come down and succeed. Beaches should be LAST on the priority list. Dead last. Keep up the research. Orlando is a HUGE service oriented area. I lived in Winter Park, New Smyrna and Daytona beach was 45 minutes to an hour away....

Driving Directions from Orlando, Florida to New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 AM

3,554 posts, read 6,183,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiercePhoenix3 View Post
yea thats why i dont see myself in orlando. And yes i do know my way arund employers and their hiring process. within the past year i have developed a strong work ethic which i lacked. I
You might want to hang on to a job up there for longer than a couple of months though . I know the places I work would want someone who shows they can keep a job not just talk the talk to land a job. They want someone with a work history of working the days scheduled, coming in on time etc. , being loyal to the company and pitching in when needed. 26 jobs in 6 years is a lot of jobs. You may need to prove your work ethics have changed before getting hired here in Florida. Seeing 26 jobs in 6 years on an ap for the company I worked at for 10 years, the personnel officer would have tossed it in the waste basket without a 2nd look.

With your background as a server though, the theme parks in Orlando might be the area for you guys. They have night custodial work, too. You are within an hour of the beach east or west practically and you have a bunch of waterparks etc that you could go to too. Working for a theme park also gets you some good benefits like getting into the park for free so you don't have to spend a lot of money on entertainment when not working. Disney has reopened hiring on some positions this spring. Check out their site....saw where quick serve people get $7.85 an hour which is actually pretty good for down here. http://www.disney.go.com/DisneyCaree...rly/index.html

Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,077,512 times
Just out of curiosity, around here, rental management wants you to have a job and a good credit rating UNLESS your parents (in the case of students) sign on the "blame" line. It is hard enough here to evict nonpaying tenants though FL might be different. You might want to check into how the rent thing works in FL before showing up with no job in hand.

I have toyed with the idea of moving to FL for years and I can afford it. However, I do not trust this economy for the next decade so I am holding off on any major voluntary events in my life right now that involves spending much money.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
You might want to hang on to a job up there for longer than a couple of months though . I know the places I work would want someone who shows they can keep a job not just talk the talk to land a job. They want someone with a work history of working the days scheduled, coming in on time etc. , being loyal to the company and pitching in when needed. 26 jobs in 6 years is a lot of jobs. You may need to prove your work ethics have changed before getting hired here in Florida. Seeing 26 jobs in 6 years on an ap for the company I worked at for 10 years, the personnel officer would have tossed it in the waste basket without a 2nd look.
Exactly. 26 jobs in 6 years is not a work history, it's a history of not being able to keep a job.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,262,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Working for a theme park also gets you some good benefits like getting into the park for free so you don't have to spend a lot of money on entertainment when not working. Disney has reopened hiring on some positions this spring. Check out their site....saw where quick serve people get $7.85 an hour which is actually pretty good for down here. Walt Disney World | Career Opportunities | Disney
It is extremely difficult to get hired at Disney. I lived there from 1996 to 1998 when times were cheery. Most jobs at Disney are part-time and that is intentional so they do not have to give bennies.

And servers positions that receive tips are next to impossible. I never applied but I knew lots and lots of locals that considered even trying to get a job at Disney was a waste of time. Yet, so many folks have been coming down there for decades, thinking that Disney would just be dying to hire them. Ha.

I can imagine during this recession it is only harder now, although I find that unfathomable.

And that work record combined with those communication skills is going to get the big toss.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 AM

I went there in 1994 when I got to Florida... Well at the time, long hair earring, and one tattoo on my arm, forget it. Even a maintenance person has the look like a Ken doll.... No facial hair, no tatoos(understandable 100%), ho hair touching your ears or neck, no jewelry on men at all. Not my cup of tea. Maintenance workers were $6.55 per hour there back then... HAHAHAH... I ended up making $9.00 at the apartment complex 3 weeks later plus half off my rent.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 AM

1,276 posts, read 2,990,602 times
I worked as a server for many yrs, a few in Broward but mostly in Palm Bch Co. Hurricane season doesn't factor in at all, what does is the seasonal aspect of the job. Because of the large influx of tourists and snowbirds the Winter months are very busy but it's feast or famine because the Summer months are very difficult especially Aug- the beginning of Oct. Most restaurants have a hard time giving enough hours to the regular employees and most if not all(except for a very rare exception) are just not hiring. Also, Broward is not all that much better re: crime, So. Fla is very busy with a constant influx of transients ect. I would personally check out other areas as well. Lastly, I did better financially in Palm Bch Co. So maybe check that out as well. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 AM

3,554 posts, read 6,183,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It is extremely difficult to get hired at Disney. I lived there from 1996 to 1998 when times were cheery. Most jobs at Disney are part-time and that is intentional so they do not have to give bennies.

And servers positions that receive tips are next to impossible. I never applied but I knew lots and lots of locals that considered even trying to get a job at Disney was a waste of time. Yet, so many folks have been coming down there for decades, thinking that Disney would just be dying to hire them. Ha.

I can imagine during this recession it is only harder now, although I find that unfathomable.

And that work record combined with those communication skills is going to get the big toss.
You still have to go the clean cut look but you can cover up the tatoos and take out the earings on your nose etc. They are not as picky as they used to be because that type of worker is almost impossible to find. I think they give more people a chance. My son went in on a fluke while he was at UCF, was hired on the spot as a lifeguard( and he didn't even swim very often-he was more into skating) and was an engineering major. Any job that requires training to get a license they pay better. Even as a part timer my son was able to get insurance-not good like he does as a full timer but the law is every employer has to offer insurance to part timers now.

As for her getting a server job right off-probably not -but they are hiring in the quick serve restaurants and they are offering something like $7.80 an hour to start. A little better than a local Dunkin donuts would start someone out at. You can pick up shifts so it might be doable. They do promotions from within a lot there, too. Apartments can be shared with others working at Disney to help make ends meet, too. There are even some apartments real close to property that the rent is lower than in other areas around there. It is a young group of workers so they would meet people their age. They would get free entrance to all but the waterparks as employees and discounts on food etc. The beach either way is an hour drive and Disney workers come to the beach on days off a lot.

I think get a foot in somewhere and then they could look for their dream job. She could apply on line. Maybe get a phone interview and test it out. Always better to just walk into casting and apply though. Just have to be chipper and answer the questions showing Disney what you could do to help them make quests have a great experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or