U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 PM

19 posts, read 42,462 times

Advertisements

Is anyone planning on making a move to Florida in 2010? What led you to your decision to choose Florida as your destination? Any advice for someone trying to make the choice.

Has anyone made the move within the past year? Please share your insight on what led you to your decisions. Pros and Cons of being a new resident of Florida?

How about teaching in Florida? Am I crazy to want to leave my school in NY? Do I have a chance of making it there or will I regret my choice? Not many people tell me it's worth the risk. I am terrified they will all say I told you soo...Florida is not paradise. Can anyone tell me my choice would be worth the risk?

What are your thoughts on leaving the stability of the only place you have ever called home to make a better life based on your dreams for the future? Is the risk too great at this point in time considering the economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,537,320 times
Is it a weather move? There have been pretty bad issues in FL with teachers being layed off. Hiring freezes. And other problems. Look it up. Best thing to do is a LOT of research. The pay will not even come close to what you are making up there I am sure. There are so many things to consider... You are going to get people saying come down, it will be great, this is the best place on earth. Some will say NO WAY. Some will be neutral. I TRY to be neutral. Doesn't always work, but I try. I am stuck in a decision to move more north in FL, or go home to MA. After days like today with the heat/humidity, I lean towards home and winter...

Research is key when moving here...

Old 05-17-2010, 07:57 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,493,638 times
Do as much research as you can. A good HONEST list of the pro's and the con's will answer your question. If your willing to trade what you have there for what you'll get here come on down. The key is a good Honest list. Good Luck

Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 PM

7,685 posts, read 16,112,809 times
What's your teaching field? The odds are far better if you're high demand like ESE, ESL, or high level science/math or can coach high school sports well than if you're elementary ed or middle/high school English.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,433,449 times
Research and spending time in a couple towns of your choices seems to be the way to go.

There is always risk in any move to any town you are not familiar with no matter what state.

Here is a thread with some great info from those who have been successful in moving to Florida.

Success stories of those who have been successful in moving to Florida

Reading your info, a job would be number one and a match up to a type of town you want would be the best start to your research.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM

34,395 posts, read 41,499,470 times
As you are a teacher you probably get a substantial summer vacation,why not spend a month in Florida for the next two years,scoping out potential places to live and the best places to get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or