U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM

5 posts, read 5,063 times
Default MN to FL: Downtown Miami and Fort Lauderdale

Hi all

I posted something similar in the FL forum before but some circumstances have changed which warranted a new title.

My wife and I (professional, late 20s, no kids) currently live in Minneapolis and she has been offered a very lucrative position within her company at their office in downtown Miami. My company is able to relocate me to their Ft. Lauderdale office (I believe the office is just west of the executive airport in (Lauderdale Lakes maybe?)). I was born and raised in Minnesota and she in Venezuela. We have little experience with Florida (other than layovers in the Miami airport and Disneyworld) and are feeling a bit overwhelmed with the logistics of this potential relocation.

We are looking for advice on places to live at either end or in between. We would like to rent to start out with so we can get a feel for the area before we make any decisions on buying.

Biggest factor at this point is traffic. Am I right to think it would be better for me to commute north than for her to commute south?

Other amenities we are looking for in the short term would be close proximity to the beach and parks. Neighborhoods with folks in our age range and some character would also be desirable. We definitely prefer older, walkable neighborhoods with shops and nightlife nearby to the suburban, strip mall, car-centric scene. We have a golden retriever puppy that we also need to accomodate, so close proximity to a dog park would be good.

If anyone has any ideas for us to start getting a handle on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 04:55 PM

8,377 posts, read 19,460,793 times
Try living in Brickell, as it meets the neighborhood requirement and traffic going north to Fort Lauderdale is MUCH better than heading south, although this area is mostly high rise development. If you prefer single family homes, try looking into The Roads (southwest of Brickell) or Miami Shores.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:40 PM

3,379 posts, read 4,107,380 times
One of you is going to need to find another job - even if you live 1/2 way - each commute anytime after 7 am until 9 and 4-7 will be an hour - and Minneapolis/Minnesota - it aint.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 AM

Wow. What if we lived in Brickell or The Shores. What kind of commute up to Lauderdale Lakes would I be looking at?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM

DJ - I would plan for at least an hour and a half in rush hour traffic. You may make it in 1:15

Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 AM

Thanks Still! Any idea on the reverse commute (i.e. from near Lauderdale Lakes to downtown Miami)? I assume it's much longer than 1:15. Is the train (Tri-Rail I think?) an option for saving any time either way? Your help is much appreciated.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_emerald View Post
Thanks Still! Any idea on the reverse commute (i.e. from near Lauderdale Lakes to downtown Miami)? I assume it's much longer than 1:15. Is the train (Tri-Rail I think?) an option for saving any time either way? Your help is much appreciated.
Actually, you might make it to Lauderdale Lakes in 40 minutes from Brickell. The WORST case scenario would be an hour and 15 minutes if there were a ton of accidents, and thats amount of time is about the best you could do from Lauderdale Lakes to downtown Miami.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:16 AM

Driving Directions from [529-599] Brickell Ave Miami, Florida to Lauderdale Lakes, Florida

While I realize that its only 33 miles - there is no way that you are going to make that time in 42 minutes - except on a lucky weekend. I had a Miramar - downtown commute that took much longer - okay - thats not a good example. I had a Plantation downtown rush hour commute (at 9) that took an hour.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Driving Directions from [529-599] Brickell Ave Miami, Florida to Lauderdale Lakes, Florida

While I realize that its only 33 miles - there is no way that you are going to make that time in 42 minutes - except on a lucky weekend. I had a Miramar - downtown commute that took much longer - okay - thats not a good example. I had a Plantation downtown rush hour commute (at 9) that took an hour.
Doing a reverse commute from Brickell to Lauderdale Lakes up 95 (express) and the turnpike? Why not?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:16 PM

I appreciate all of your input. Is there consensus on the following commute times?

Morning Commute

Brickell -> Lauderdale Lakes: :45 - 1:15

Lauderdale Lakes -> Brickell/Downtown: > 1:15

What about the evening commute? Are they comparable to the morning commute times coming back the other way? i.e.:

Evening Commute

Lauderdale Lakes -> Brickell: :45 - 1:15

Brickell -> Lauderdale Lakes: >1:15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida