Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

Some of the best tasting southern BBQ has been out of a barrell and I have done a lot of fish scaling and cleaning outside on a stainless steel cart from a trash pile. "Class" can cost thousands, so save up or be creative!

Hey you can always go to Costco and get one of those "Kirkland signature grills". My neighbor has one and it's sweet! As for me I like my 55 gallon hinged grill. The grill was originally stainless wire shelving from a hospital construction dumpster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 03:51 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Some of the best tasting southern BBQ has been out of a barrell and I have done a lot of fish scaling and cleaning outside on a stainless steel cart from a trash pile. "Class" can cost thousands, so save up or be creative!

Hey you can always go to Costco and get one of those "Kirkland signature grills". My neighbor has one and it's sweet! As for me I like my 55 gallon hinged grill. The grill was originally stainless wire shelving from a hospital construction dumpster.

you drum probably does a great job, and if I ever wanted to do a full blown bbq, remember I'm a card carrying yankee who knows nothing about real southern bbq, I could rent something that cooks like that but not too many summer kitchens built for everyday use would include one, and like the pro said those costco things do come cheap and they do the job ok but they just don't last, they're not built well

Old 06-15-2007, 06:38 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,239 times
Thank you all. I will be creative to save money without sacrificing the quality and beauty of an outdoor kitchen. I will start by studying about grills and visiting the local shops.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:32 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,019 times
OldTimer, can that outdoor kitchen be in direct sunlight all the time without fear of blowing up a propane tank??

Old 06-15-2007, 07:33 PM

Getting hungry again

Old 06-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
OldTimer, can that outdoor kitchen be in direct sunlight all the time without fear of blowing up a propane tank??
that's a new one, is that common in FLA?, I keep my tanks outside in NJ and never had a problem

Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
that's a new one, is that common in FLA?, I keep my tanks outside in NJ and never had a problem
NJ huh?

You keep your propane tank in direct sunlight all day?

Maybe they print the warnings on the labels in a different language in NJ. But I'm pretty sure that all propane gas tank places advise to not do that.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
NJ huh?

Maybe they print the warnings on the labels in a different language in NJ. But I'm pretty sure that all propane gas tank places advise to not do that.
never saw a warning, my tank gets some sun, the place where I get the tanks filled has their tank out in the sun, never a problem, in fact I sat on the board that approved it's placement and the sunlight was never presented as an issue.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,957 times
Quote:
NJ huh?

Where are the tanks at the propane gas refill places? I'm not talking about the cylinder exchange at the convenience store, but the actual refill stations at RV parks, grill stores, truck stops, etc. For that matter, where are the storage tanks at the propane gas companies?

As long as a cylinder is properly refilled (not overfilled), there is no danger, and no reason not to keep it in the sun. In fact, it is much safer in the sun than it is inside a hot shed or garage that can confine the gas if it leaks. Today, all grill-size cylinders are properly filled because there is an Overfill Prevention Device on every cylinder and cylinders cannot be overfilled (unless they are defective, and the fill operator is trained to determine that).

Also, propane never "explodes", and cylinders never "explode". They can leank, but if the leak is in open air, it usually dissipates before it is dangerous. If the leak is in a confined area it can attain "flash point", the density at which it can be ignited. For propane, that point is between 2% and 10% volume of propane mixed with air. Any more or any less and it will not ignite. It never "explodes", but does burn very rapidly -- almost instantaneously -- if ignited, causing rapid air movement that can knock things down, perhaps appearing to be an explosion.

I hold the highest license granted by the state of Florida for LP gas operations (601) although it is inactive since I retired, and I operated a propane dispensing operation for over 10 years.

Last edited by pslOldTimer; 06-16-2007 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: