U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best dining options
Miami 11 52.38%
Orlando 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,760,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
You're saying Miami isn't a destination city??
I think I see what he's saying. I think the local flavor in Miami is popular to tourists so it doesn't deviate too much from that...on the other hand, can't think of anything that Orlando or Las Vegas are particularly known for in cuisine, so they can be more diverse in their offerings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,887,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
You tell me. Miami is a great place to visit, but it's not at the top of the list if you look at total volume of visitors:

New York City trumps Orlando, Las Vegas as most popular U.S. destination - USATODAY.com

Miami is a great destination, but Orlando receives far more visitors per year.

America's Top 10 Most-Visited Cities | CheapOair
That might be true; however, take out Disney and that number plummets to around 8 million visitors a year, whereas Miami at number 5 with 38M doesn't have a major theme park to inflate its numbers like Orlando does.

In terms of food, you're also talking about more commercialized food for the most part, RE: with Disney being the bulk of the Orlando metro economy, and livelihood.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 AM

598 posts, read 1,521,353 times
Ohmigod, I thought this poll was tongue-in-cheek until I saw Orlando winning....?? If the definition of better is more chain restaurants per capita then yes, Orlando wins. If you want to talk quality and diversity of dining options it's no contest, Miami wins.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,186,071 times
Quote:
That might be true; however, take out Disney and that number plummets to around 8 million visitors a year, whereas Miami at number 5 with 38M doesn't have a major theme park to inflate its numbers like Orlando does.

In terms of food, you're also talking about more commercialized food for the most part, RE: with Disney being the bulk of the Orlando metro economy, and livelihood.
Thats an interesting way to look at life. Should we take out Miami Beach / South Beach as well than? It seems fitting if you're going to take out Disney...

I don't understand the second part of your comment or what you're 'replying' to.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 AM

10,575 posts, read 10,847,589 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
Ohmigod, I thought this poll was tongue-in-cheek until I saw Orlando winning....?? If the definition of better is more chain restaurants per capita then yes, Orlando wins. If you want to talk quality and diversity of dining options it's no contest, Miami wins.
That's my point though. It's not just chains once you get outside of the touristy areas like I-drive. There are TONS of indian, mexican, sushi, cuban and thai places around. There's even an ethiopian restaurant. I'm a fan of indian food, and there are no less than 3 south indian restaurants (in addition to at least 10 more north indian ones) in the Orlando metro area.

Disney brings people and $$$ and that has given rise to a separate culture within Orlando IMO. Miami's cusine is more titled towards seafood and cuban food IMO. Having been to both cities, I think Orlando has better indian restaurants.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
Of course the guy from Philly knows more about Florida than locals.. Thats why I made this in the Florida forum and not the City -vs- City forum. To see what the real answer is not what people from Philly think based on stereotypes and media's depiction of the places.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
That's my point though. It's not just chains once you get outside of the touristy areas like I-drive. There are TONS of indian, mexican, sushi, cuban and thai places around. There's even an ethiopian restaurant. I'm a fan of indian food, and there are no less than 3 south indian restaurants (in addition to at least 10 more north indian ones) in the Orlando metro area.

Disney brings people and $$$ and that has given rise to a separate culture within Orlando IMO. Miami's cusine is more titled towards seafood and cuban food IMO. Having been to both cities, I think Orlando has better indian restaurants.
Where is the Ethiopian place? Only one I've been to was coincidentally in Miami in the Wynwood District. Actually was my last night out before leaving Miami. I know in Disney there is a good 'Indian/Ethiopian' place in the new part of Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge with very reasonable prices and great food but not familiar with any Ethiopian outside of Disney property.

I eat a lot of Korean, Greek, and German food in Orlando.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Where is the Ethiopian place? Only one I've been to was coincidentally in Miami in the Wynwood District. Actually was my last night out before leaving Miami. I know in Disney there is a good 'Indian/Ethiopian' place in the new part of Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge with very reasonable prices and great food but not familiar with any Ethiopian outside of Disney property.

I eat a lot of Korean, Greek, and German food in Orlando.
Nile Ethiopian - I-Drive/Universal - Orlando | Urbanspoon

Haven't tried it yet, but will next time I am in Orlando. It looks pretty good according to tripadvisor.

I don't think I am going to change anyone else's mind on this forum, but I'll politely disagree with anyone who thinks Miami will outclass Orlando when it comes to restaurants. Definitely will agree when it comes to nightlife, but not restaurants

Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,887,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Thats an interesting way to look at life. Should we take out Miami Beach / South Beach as well than? It seems fitting if you're going to take out Disney...

I don't understand the second part of your comment or what you're 'replying' to.
Sure... and Miami will still have more visitors.

The Miami area is home not only to Miami Beach but also the Everglades, a major downtown, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, the largest mall in Florida, Key Biscayne, and much much more.

When you ask somebody what's there to do in Orlando, the most common answer will be "Go to Disney." Ask them what else there is to do and you'll most likely get a blank stare.

The second part is saying that much of the 'diversity' in Orlando dining is from Disney, thus is also commercialized.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
When you ask somebody what's there to do in Orlando, the most common answer will be "Go to Disney." Ask them what else there is to do and you'll most likely get a blank stare.
That's like saying South Beach is the only place to go in Miami. People who live in miami will tell you that there are other places to hang out. There are plenty of other places to go like Coconut Grove, Brickell, south miami, kendall, key biscayne etc.

Quote:
The second part is saying that much of the 'diversity' in Orlando dining is from Disney, thus is also commercialized.
Disney laid the seeds for Orlando's growth 20-30 years ago. Now there is much more there besides Disney, and the service industry has grown to include plenty of mom and pop shops and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida