Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 AM

263 posts, read 888,336 times

Advertisements

Issues that important for good neighborhoods and quality constructed homes in Indiana are probably different in Florida... a lot of our homes are older and stick built.

I'll already be asking about schools, well water, and avoiding Adams built and chinese drywall, but is there anything else I should be mindful of?

So many houses in Palm Bay under 5 years old look really nice and affordable, but maybe I'm missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:42 AM

10 posts, read 19,637 times
Ask about cost of flood insurance and windstorm coverage. The location you select could cost you many thousands of extra dollars per year.
Be sure to have your inspector check for mold.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:46 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
Ask about what flood zone it is? Do I need to purchase flood insurance? How hard will it be to find a home insurance policy for that area? How expensive will that home/wind policy be? Is it CBS (concrete block stone) or stick built (you want a CBS home)? Does the home come with shutters?

Old 05-22-2010, 03:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Look at the FDLE map--lot's of sexual predators in that area, including a "halfway house" type of place that houses several of them. Make sure you aren't too close. Even if you are comfortable with it, it will greatly hinder eventual sale.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:56 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,739,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Look at the FDLE map--lot's of sexual predators in that area, including a "halfway house" type of place that houses several of them. Make sure you aren't too close. Even if you are comfortable with it, it will greatly hinder eventual sale.
You know, if you pull up any of those maps you are always close to people listed as registered sex offenders. Your use of the word predator is miss used. Not all of them are predators. That is a poorly used term in many cases.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
You know, if you pull up any of those maps you are always close to people listed as registered sex offenders. Your use of the word predator is miss used. Not all of them are predators. That is a poorly used term in many cases.
Some areas have a lot more sex offenders than others, Palm Bay is one of them.

I used the word PREDATORS refering to PREDATORS, not just sex offenders. PREDATORS are generally repeat offenders of serious crimes, not just some dude who was arrested for taking a wizz in an alley after leaving a bar. I counted at least 10 PREDATORS in Palm Bay, with one 1/4 mile area having four of them. I wouldn't want to live that close to that many PREDATORS. My words were not at all mis-used.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:07 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,016,780 times
Go to the sheriff's office and ask for a printout of the crimes and calls for the area for the last six months. They will give it to you and you can see what is really going on.

Go to the property at various times-especially at night. You can see what kind of activity is going on, where the street lights shine and what kind of noise level there is.

Knock on the neighbors doors and talk to them. Ask them about the neighborhood. Ask them about the ratio of owners to renters. Ask them about foreclosures. Ask them if there are special assessments for sewers and things contemplated.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
I always like to know why the sellers are moving.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,739,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggums View Post
Issues that important for good neighborhoods and quality constructed homes in Indiana are probably different in Florida... a lot of our homes are older and stick built.

I'll already be asking about schools, well water, and avoiding Adams built and chinese drywall, but is there anything else I should be mindful of?

So many houses in Palm Bay under 5 years old look really nice and affordable, but maybe I'm missing something?
I haven't read all the responses, but my best advice is ask all the important questions and then do your own research. Take nothing you are told by anybody as gospel. It is a big deal buying a house end you have to take the responsibility to do the work.

For example, you can get copies of all permits that have been applied for. You never know what the heck someone may have done maybe even additions without a permit. I know a lady who bought what she thought was a two story house. It turned out to be a pole house and everything done to the downstairs was done without any permits and was not legal and had to be torn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: