Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:18 PM

13 posts, read 54,796 times

Advertisements

Used to go all the time when we first moved here.....now, once or twice a month. Oh, and only in the mornings or early evening. It is soooo much hotter so much sooner now then a few years ago. Then of course when you get home there is the hour spent desanding everyone and the car! It is different in a hotel, who cares if there is sand all over the floors, there not yours. In fact we are probably moving to Colorado. I'm looking forward to not sweating for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 05:45 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,407,595 times
I am back in PA now for almost 2 months.....and going nuts!
I am a bit miserable, because I have no possibility to go to a beach here!
I realized, I should have gone more to the beach, while living down in FL.
But I didn't, because my husband hates the beach, and I didn't want to be "selfish"
We are moving back by the end of this month, and guess what?
My husband was told already, that, yes indeed, I WILL be selfish this time!!! LOL

Old 06-21-2007, 06:11 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmumj View Post
In fact we are probably moving to Colorado. I'm looking forward to not sweating for a while.
Having spent half my life in Colorado, I can assure you there is plenty of perspiration to be had there, summer can be like a furnace--but not always accompanied by the relief of AC, which is not as commonly used in homes.
As someone else said, some people just are beach people, others are not, and sometimes folks just need a change of scenery.
I took this pic this morning:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Capresesalad/IMG_2242.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 PM

356 posts, read 1,264,514 times
I go every almost weekend. I live about 20 minutes from the beach, some days 30.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:07 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,625,353 times
cil, that is a gorgeous picture! Those of us who live hundreds of miles from a beach and are "beach people" really love when you post pictures. Thank you so much.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 AM

672 posts, read 896,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I haven't put my feet on a beach in over a year. My parents have a home in the keys on the water, have only been down there a handfull of times in the last year as it is just to hot 6-7 months. I am young and love my skin too, I try to avoid the sun as much as possible, as skin cancer runs in my family (grandmother died of melanoma (sp???)). This is my other reason for avoiding the beach.

When I was 15 years old I met a woman that had perfect skin she was about 55-60. I asked her what was her secret, she said she lived in NY for many years and only recently had moved to Florida. She said by living in NY she avoided the sun for most of her life. So I took that at 15 years old and pretty much have tried to stay out of the sun. Today my skin has freckles (sun damage) on the parts that the sun touched while I was a kid. My hope is that by staying out of the sun during my 20's forward will diminish my skin cancer risks in the future.
My Mom was very much like that woman. She too was from NY and born in 1920. Mom always said the sun was very bad for your skin. I guess she was way ahead of her times. The few times I can remember her taking me to the beach when I was a child she really was a sight to see. She used to wear a long sleeved shirt over her suit, big brim hat, sunglasses, and sit under a big beach unbrella. Her face and legs were covered with some kind of white "goop" to protect against the sun. I can remember her putting that stuff all over me too and bringing me under the umbrella with her when I wasn't in the water.

Even as a child I really didn't like the beach. I cried when we went there. I didn't like the sand or the hot sun. When I got older myself, I just never went. I lived on LI for over 20 years and maybe went to the beach about 5 times when my kids were little. Both my daughters played sports and preferred that to going to the beach.

You are correct though about the long term benefits of staying out of the sun. My Mom had absolutely beautiful skin well into her 70s. I am 58 and can see it also. I have almost no wrinkles. Most people think I am in my 40s.

You are also correct in that you have to start this YOUNG - in your teens or 20s.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:32 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,335,567 times
We love walking on the beach and this thread just reminds me how much I miss doing so. We rarely go into the water unless it's the west coast of Florida - we love the beaches there.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 PM

159 posts, read 801,870 times
I don't go as often as I'd like. I literally live like 15 min from the beach, but I haven't gone in a couple months.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,848 times
Sure people that live in Florida go to the beach. My husband and I go at least 3 times a month if not more. He used to live down south closer to Miami and didn't go at all. I moved here from up north, and now we drive up to 2 hours each way to go as often as we can. We love the peaceful feeling it gives us. The shelling is just to die for, on the west coast, and there are so many different things to do and see, and lots are FREE!!You just have to look around and enjoy the little things in life, a sunset, the pelicans, the manatees, the shells. Life is too short to make it complicated so enjoy the beach and find tranquility within!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbadhair View Post
I used to live in FL but almost never went to the beach. My wife said how could you not take advantage of living close to the water. I just took the beach for granted and now in the desert its a 8hr drive the west coast.
West coast beaches suck.

Does everybody go to the beach or just go once or twice a year?

If i move back i think i will go at least once a month.

I'm going back to FLA and don't expect to go to the beach much - I love the beach and sun, but have had too many burns to cause precancerous skin - now sun block 70SPF and hats and no need to go to the beach anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida