U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 08:46 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,850,547 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I understand your point on that last post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 08:50 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,165,409 times
I had two points:
1. This is in regards to the people that say once you get North of Orlando you get into the Deep South. Up in Jacksonville area the panhandle. Not South Florida in terms of Miami, Broward, Palm Beach. That is the South Florida metro but I'm looking at the cultural difference of the stereotypical "Northern rural Florida" -vs- "Southern urban Florida"

2. If you do divide it the way you just did I find it interesting that not only are North and South even closer but the I-4 corridor (Central FL: Orlando & Tampa) is significantly better than either one even though that is where the hispanic culture and redneck cultures are often viewed as coming together.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 AM

17,298 posts, read 25,614,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Woah woah woah slow down there. I didn't do all that work for 5 counties. Those as it says are "The counties with the most hate crimes were"

Here is a copy and paste from the draft I've done. It has every county on it.

Feel free to double check with the FBI statistics but I checked the numbers by adding up the North and adding up the South and the total matched the total for the state.

I don't know what you're referring to here exactly. I am simply working at illustrating that much of the North -vs- South Florida mentality is erroneous. These figures were not solely based on crimes by white people against minorities, I don't know where you got that from. The FBI reports on 6 things crimes against: ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, and disability.

I am not completely drawing any conclusions yet today I am going to look at additional things such as how religious the North is compared to the South. Also going to look at Education between the two. These are things that most people seem to believe North Florida lacks. It gets played off both in the media and city-data forums as rural rednecks and bible thumpers. It may be true, it may not be. I am simply attempting to verify either way.

As for the claim you are correct that is a mistake on my part. It is a higher chance of being the victim of discrimination in the North. Again I am not trying to push this in either direction but offer a fair and unbiased look. I will see if a mod can help me edit that line.

Again, however, "crimes" against groups is not a feature of whether or not North Florida has a more accepting or open view towards disparate groups and ways of living.

Southern culture, to me, is a sort of veneer hospitality and politeness type culture. "Traditional" values. People who will say hi to you and smile in the store, but pray for your soul at home in private if you don't "fit the mold."

South Florida is more "do your own thing" in feel, even if the people aren't as "nice" (again, all blanket generalizations here). It more closely resembles the Northeastern US (and, in the case of Miami, Latin-American Caribbean US fusion). More cosmopolitan and international thinking.

And again, hate crime OPPORTUNITY is greater in diverse areas than, say, Clahoun County. An all white city, for example, doesn't get bonus points for having no hate crimes!

As for education, there are parts of South Florida I'd never live in, because the poverty means the schools will be bad. Same with North Florida. I think Santa Rosa County is supposed to have very good schools, for example.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 AM

That's fair but there is no way to measure politeness. All I can do is measure what is measurable using figures that are out there (since I don't have the resources to collect my own data).

But from a lot of posts these are things that people often perceive as differences. Personally I would agree more rural places not just in the South but everywhere are typically more courteous and polite than more urban places. If I had a way of measuring that I would do it as well.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM

4,186 posts, read 10,268,390 times
The northern half of Lake county and pretty much all of Sumter county is pretty southern. I'm assuming the counties west of Sumter are pretty southern aswell. Parts of Volushia county like deltona and daytona isnt that southern. and a most of brevard is pretty southern. Even parts of Orange Seminole and Oseola counties have southern areas (Bithlo, Geneva, Chuluota, St. CLoud)

It turns into a mix in central FL. There is no distinctive line.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:35 PM

The point of this is to show that "Southern" is not entirely accurate and there are no lines at all not in any areas.

I've done half the counties so far on Education and Poverty. Of those done North has the highest poverty county, North has the lowest poverty county, North has the hghest HS rate, North has the highest Bachelors rate, South has the lowest HS rate, North has the lowest BS rate.

Again that isn't complete, I really need to force myself to stop though because my eyes are hurting. I'll finish up later today on this one. I'm going in alphabetical order.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I had two points:
1. This is in regards to the people that say once you get North of Orlando you get into the Deep South. Up in Jacksonville area the panhandle. Not South Florida in terms of Miami, Broward, Palm Beach. That is the South Florida metro but I'm looking at the cultural difference of the stereotypical "Northern rural Florida" -vs- "Southern urban Florida"
You're correct in saying up from Orlando is deep south in culture.

Quote:
2. If you do divide it the way you just did I find it interesting that not only are North and South even closer but the I-4 corridor (Central FL: Orlando & Tampa) is significantly better than either one even though that is where the hispanic culture and redneck cultures are often viewed as coming together.
I don't view Central FL as Hispanics and rednecks coming together. Central FL to me is just fairly plain, boring and has no real culture. You would have to look at the racial makeup to see this. It's interesting that there's less crime there, but in the end it blows your theory of 'chances are you'd be more of a victim in South Florida over North Florida' out of the water.

In the end, North Florida has the highest level of hate crimes based on the counties where they occurred.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Finished looking at education and poverty. I don't think this one is as surprising simply because a majority of the universities are in the South portion. Including UCF the second largest by population in the nation. This DOES NOT however take into account quality of education. The most recent stats for this are from the 2000 census. Not sure why that is and not the 2008 but its what I had to work with.

North Florida
Poverty: 17.08%
High School Diploma: 75.3%
Bachelor's Degree: 15.0%
South Florida
Poverty: 13.92%
High School Diploma: 77.8%
Bachelor's Degree: 20.5%
So, South Florida has the higher diploma rate which probably makes sense since its less foreigners. South Florida has more universities and thus has the higher rate of bachelor's degrees. None of these numbers are drastically different though with the highest being the bachelor's degree rates.

High School Diploma
Low: Hendry (South)
High: Leon (North)
Bachelor's Degree
Low: Dixie (North)
High: Orange (South)
Poverty
Low: Backer (North)
High: Hamilton (North)
This is based on my map dividing Florida in half. If Coconuts or anyone else wants to redo this with Central Florida seperate from both North and South they can be my guest. Here is the source: Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 PM

I'm not going to redo it, but you really can't lump South and Central Florida in to one group for anything. They are distinctly different areas.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:55 PM

976 posts, read 2,505,852 times
Not sure how you can use "hate crimes" to determine whether a place is "southern" or not.

I know this is not possible for you to do, but it would be great to do a survey across the state of Florida and ask this one simple question, "Culturally speaking, do you live in the South?". It would be interesting to see how that map looked. Whether a place is "Southern" or not is pretty much all about perception, since there is no clear definition of what makes a place "Southern". I think the results of that survey would paint the most accurate picture of which parts of Florida still consider themselves Southern, and which parts don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or