U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 AM

70 posts, read 161,703 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to the Daytona Beach area this summer. We were down there last week looking for houses and settled -- we thought -- on buying a house out on Daytona beachside, for a handful of reasons: closeness to work, nearness to new colleagues, as well as the character of the housing stock.

One thing we both noticed that was sort of confusing, however, was that the area north of Intl' Speedway, south of University and east of Peninsula had neighborhoods with some great houses but some sketchy people wandering around. (It wasn't completely confined to that area -- we drove past an apartment complex south of Intl' Speedway directly on A1A that screamed "flophouse.")

Walking down a street through the Seabreeze district, for instance, we noticed a tidy, cute, well-maintained bungalow right next to a run-down shack with a chain-link fence and garbage dumped in the front yard.

Were our perceptions of this strange proximity of well-heeled, rooted homeowners to transient renters mistaken? If not, have things always been this way out on the beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 PM

980 posts, read 2,511,083 times
No, that's how it is. The beachside is improving slowly, but it used to be overrun with crackhouses. The nice houses you saw were undoubtedly bought and fixed up relatively recently (last 5-10 years or so). You can either buy on the beachside and contribute to the gentrification of the area while dealing with the sketchiness that is still there, or look further north or south (Ormond Beach north of SR 40, or south of the Silver Beach bridge).

Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,478,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmaraschino View Post
My wife and I will be moving to the Daytona Beach area this summer. We were down there last week looking for houses and settled -- we thought -- on buying a house out on Daytona beachside, for a handful of reasons: closeness to work, nearness to new colleagues, as well as the character of the housing stock.

One thing we both noticed that was sort of confusing, however, was that the area north of Intl' Speedway, south of University and east of Peninsula had neighborhoods with some great houses but some sketchy people wandering around. (It wasn't completely confined to that area -- we drove past an apartment complex south of Intl' Speedway directly on A1A that screamed "flophouse.")

Walking down a street through the Seabreeze district, for instance, we noticed a tidy, cute, well-maintained bungalow right next to a run-down shack with a chain-link fence and garbage dumped in the front yard.

Were our perceptions of this strange proximity of well-heeled, rooted homeowners to transient renters mistaken? If not, have things always been this way out on the beach?
You're very observant. That's a very accurate description

Old 05-31-2010, 05:06 PM

574 posts, read 1,840,584 times
I have lived here all of my life and can say that you are right on target with what you observed (though it some better now as I grew up in the 60's and 70's and ahve seen it much, much worse). If you really want beachside I would go north of the Granada Bridge or south of the Silver Beach (Orange Avenue) bridge. If you go to the mainland, Daytona itself, as well as Holly Hill and South Daytona do have some nice neighborhoods, but in general you'll probably want to concentrate your search for a home or apartment to Port Orange, New Smyrna Beach or Ormond Beach.

Nancy

Old 06-01-2010, 02:42 AM

70 posts, read 161,703 times
Thanks for the feedback ...

We saw these "Save Our Neighborhoods" signs stuck in people's front yards all over the beachside -- especially in Daytona Beach Shores. At first, I wanted to knock on some doors and ask the owners what all this save our neighborhoods business was about, but by the end of the first day I think we got the picture.

I hate to admit my snobishness, but my usual liberal sensibilities tend to take leave when people treat wonderful old houses and neighborhoods like toilets.

Roaming around beachside, we came across a big, beautiful FSBO located in the Seabreeze district -- 7 bedrooms, 2 baths or something like that -- and called the owner to get some info. Nice guy. He said it had been used as a half-way house, but that those facilities had been relocated to the mainland. (When we drove past the above-mentioned apartments, my wife speculated maybe that building was also a halfway house, to which I replied that it looked more like a no-way house.)

My first thought on hearing the owner's explanation was why don't they round up all of the riff-raff we saw and relocate them to the mainland, but that's another story. We were both just surprised that so many scuzzy-looking people with such an obvious lack of regard for their premises or their person were able to live out in what would presumably be a desirable, high-rent area.

Interesting story: the couple we stayed with have a great waterfront house at the end of one of the streets that extend to the river from Peninsula Dr. Apparently the mayor was walking around door-to-door during the last campaign. When he knocked on the door where we were staying, the husband (whose name is Mike) answered.

After saying hello, announcing who he was, and asking Mike if there was anything the city could do for them, Mike replied, "You could get rid of the crack whores that hang out up at the 7-11."

Reportedly, the mayor's face fell. "There are crack whores at the 7-11?" he asked. Mike told him he could go see for himself, which the mayor said he would.

But, Mike said the next time he drove past the 7-11 they were gone, and they haven't been back since. I'm wondering if we shouldn't get Mike to use his evident pull with the city to clear a swath in whatever neighborhood my wife and I end up living in ...

Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 AM

499 posts, read 1,595,277 times
Frank, don't know how to reply to your posts. All I can say is the things you seem to be confused about are definitely getting better, but also make Daytona Beach unique from other sanitized, gated communities with no soul you can find all over the rest of Florida (and as recommended by replies to your OP).

Key West and South Beach are my case and point. The things that made them unique as a haven for drop-outs also made them an interesting place to tap into creative energy for future redevelopment. Key West/SoBe couldn't STOP the daily populations attracted there for starting new lives -- they absorbed them into something much more interesting.

Daytona can't stop the daily populations of people attracted to the area for whatever reason, including you. My suggestion would be to attend a Save Our Neighborhoods meeting or the local neighborhood meeting in the area you are interested in, before going to contract -- so you get a better lay of the land from a local resident perspective -- rather than from just your car windows.

There is NO question that the issues which concern you will be a thing of the past VERY soon. Just like in South Beach and Key West. You used to see the same thing there too.

I would like to hopefully welcome you to the area as a new resident pioneer! Good Luck!

PS - "Pushing Them" to the Mainland will still show up on your city tax bill! (I say to Ormond Beach, Holly Hill, South Daytona, New Smyrna Beach, Port Orange which is why they were recommended as "nice" in the first place -- where they can show their true compassion and spread the love for the less fortunate, since they don't offer ANYTHING to help and send them to Daytona instead as THEIR "solution!")

Last edited by daytonadewd; 06-02-2010 at 12:43 AM..

Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM

9 posts, read 16,641 times
DaytonaDewd: I'm sincerely interested: What is going to happen "VERY soon" that will change Daytona Beach? You sound so certain. What is in the works exactly that will cause these "VERY soon" changes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida