Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:01 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Sorry Danielle. I can see by your second post that you are genuine. We just get soooo many on these forums that like to stir things up, or just tease with things that might sound ridiculous on the surface. So I apologize to you that I didn't take your post seriously at first. I think if you had originally posted with all the info of your second post, there would have been no question you are serious.

Anyway, as others have already said, Naples and Marco are expensive and not the most "kid-friendly." On the west coast try Sarasota/Bradenton, or up to St. Pete area. Sarasota/Bradenton area is small but with lots of amenities, natural beauty and beaches and plenty for kids to do. Good schools in Sarasota as well. More diverse, and better pricing overall for housing. This is just a start. I am a native of Florida, and I love it here. For me and my husband, it's a great quality of life.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other specific questions, just ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 PM

10 posts, read 20,042 times
Thank you gypsygirl for your kind words and welcoming attitude. We looked into the places that you suggested and we really liked Port Charlotte and Cape Coral.

If you know anything about Port Charlotte or Cape Coral, we would be very interested in looking into relocating there. We really are trying to focus on moving to a place with no jobs, since we work from home.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle berkenbile View Post
Thank you gypsygirl for your kind words and welcoming attitude. We looked into the places that you suggested and we really liked Port Charlotte and Cape Coral.

If you know anything about Port Charlotte or Cape Coral, we would be very interested in looking into relocating there. We really are trying to focus on moving to a place with no jobs, since we work from home.
You might get a lot more info if ask some specific questions on the Ft. Myers-Cape Coral forum, since you know you are very interested in that area. Also the Sarasota forum. There are many here that live in the Port Charlotte area who can give you a lot of info.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 AM

10 posts, read 20,042 times
Thanks Gypsychic. We will post in the Cape Coral and Port Charlotte forums next. We didn't seem to like Sarasota though. Do you know of any smaller beach towns like this that may be more affordable? Or a small town near the beach? Also, are there more mosquitos and bugs in certain areas? Any idea why we are being drawn towards the west side of Florida, rather than the east side?

Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Port Charlotte is statistically the oldest metro area in the state and probably the country. Seriously. So probably pretty quiet with a side of 'hey, kids, get off the lawn'!. While the elementary school set would probably do fine there, I can see it feeling a bit limited for kids by the time they hit high school age.

Quote:
Any idea why we are being drawn towards the west side of Florida, rather than the east side?
Nicer beaches and not as crowded as the east side, which is pretty solidly developed from Melbourne to Miami.

If you want serious small town and don't mind something of a winter, I'd look into Port St. Joe in the Panhandle or surrounding areas east of Panama City. It's the last sandy spot on the west coast before the coast gets marshy to about Crystal River north of Tampa. (If you didn't need to walk to sand, I'd throw in a rec for Apalachicola because it's an utterly charming small town)

Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle berkenbile View Post
Thanks Gypsychic. We will post in the Cape Coral and Port Charlotte forums next. We didn't seem to like Sarasota though. Do you know of any smaller beach towns like this that may be more affordable? Or a small town near the beach? Also, are there more mosquitos and bugs in certain areas? Any idea why we are being drawn towards the west side of Florida, rather than the east side?
Well, I am a Florida native and I like the Gulf side because of the snow white sand and beautiful Gulf. Plus it's the "sunset" coast!

What didn't you like about Sarasota? You also have to define "affordable." What do you consider affordable. Prices run the gamut in the Gulf region, and depending if you like new or older construction, planned communities, and on and on. I live up by the airport in north Sarasota (Manatee County) and I don't have many mosquitoes, I am near the bay and get a lot of breeze. You will find more mosquitoes inland, and around woodsy, marshy areas near rivers or creeks.

As far as "affordable" the most affordable property is in North Port, but you have to drive 25 minutes or so to any beach. One of our posters on the Sarasota forum is SoFLGal, and can answer a lot of these questions for you, and she lives in North Port. So it will be helpful if you want to ask some questions there, so she can see your post.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:39 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Port Charlotte is statistically the oldest metro area in the state and probably the country. Seriously.
Port Charlotte? It was one of those "created" communities thrown together by a corporation that eventually were charged with fraud and went bankrupt. General Development Corporation also started the communities of Palm Bay, North Port, Port St. Lucie, ect.

Gosh, there are so many older metro areas like, say, St. Augustine in Florida and Jamestown, VA, Plymouth, MA, etc. Lots to go through before we get close to the latter half of the last century.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
I would like to know how long the commute is from Sarasota/Brendenton to Tampa Airport. I;m guessing 1:30 - 2hours?

Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I would like to know how long the commute is from Sarasota/Brendenton to Tampa Airport. I;m guessing 1:30 - 2hours?
My DH drives from north Sarasota (by airport) to downtown Tampa, it is 1 hour door-to-door. Less if you only figure driving time, maybe the same to airport. Of course it depends where your starting point is.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:12 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Thanks for providing us with detailed information.

I also want to point out that you are the first one I've seen that specifically posted they wanted to move somewhere that did not have jobs available.

I don't know if you are still considering Naples, but I'll throw my two cents in. I'll try to give a balanced perspective on how I think Naples would apply to your specific situation.

First and foremost, Naples is a wealthy retirement community run by wealthy retirees. The economy and political machine reflect this. The example I like to use is the indoor skating rink closed down and a bingo hall opened in its place. Schools and kid things are not well supported by retirees whose kids are grown.

That said, there are plenty of families here who survive just fine. The public schools here do not have a good reputation, nor do they in most of Florida. I would consider private school or homeschooling. I sent my kid to Catholic school here. She had several classmates whose parents were teachers in the public school system. What does that tell you?

You could easily find housing in your price range today. The beaches are nice and there are plenty of restaurants and shopping.

Given your priority towards family centered living I would pass on Naples, especially with your ability to live anywhere. There isn't the sense of family community that you want.

Now if you were wealthy retirees who play golf then this would be paradise.

No matter where you choose in Florida I would investigate the school system. There are many threads here about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida