Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,794 times

Advertisements

I just have compassion for even the smallest of creatures. Don't kill them, just let them outside where they want to be.

I take them outside and stomp on them!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Some people say it's successful to give it a spurt of hairspray and that will incapacitate it enough to give it a fatal whack.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:06 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The lizards seem to suffer no ill effects from us spraying around the foundation for roaches with the product our Terminix guy uses.
I agree. I use Terminix "outside only" on a quarterly basis and haven't seen any roaches, spiders or ants since.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,556 times
I am from California and not use to Palmetto bugs. I moved to Florida last August and had a couple come into the house. The pest control outside of the house managed to keep them away. But, this morning, I was horrified to open my refrigerator and find one crawling inside of it. How does a Palmetto bug get into the refrigerator? I quickly got the only bug spray (Flea & Tick spray) that I had on hand and started spraying it directly on the bug inside the fridge. It finally came out of the fridge and crawled underneath it. I am a small woman but my adrenalin was going enough that I managed to pull the fridge out and continue spraying it until it died. I am now going to throw out everything in my fridge. But, I am in shock that the bug was in the fridge. How did it get into the fridge and what can I do to prevent it again? If it got into the fridge, can it get into the freezer?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
When I lived "down south'' FL, we got couple bugs in the house now and again. Found they were coming under the garage door. Someone suggested hot sauce and another, black pepper. Bought both...poured the numerous bottles of hot suce (Louisiana) around the perimter of not only the garage, but entire house (as I'm one of the paranoid ones when it come to roaches. Look, it's sooo bad for me that you can rob me at "roachpoint"! Not kidding. Bring a roach 5 feet within me, I'm taking off. If you can catch my behind...it's all yours! ALL OF IT, for real! ) then sprinkled the black pepper in the same fashion. Not sure if that "alone" worked as I also bombed the house, and put down those little black plastic thingy that traps them. Never saw another roach in my house for the next 10 years. We're in TN now and have never absolutely saw one in the couple years we've been here. Yes, we bombed the house before we moved in., more so for the spiders than roaches.

PS: I'll take spiders over roaches any day!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
When I lived "down south'' FL, we got couple bugs in the house now and again. Found they were coming under the garage door. Someone suggested hot sauce and another, black pepper. Bought both...poured the numerous bottles of hot suce (Louisiana) around the perimter of not only the garage, but entire house (as I'm one of the paranoid ones when it come to roaches. Look, it's sooo bad for me that you can rob me at "roachpoint"! Not kidding. Bring a roach 5 feet within me, I'm taking off. If you can catch my behind...it's all yours! ALL OF IT, for real! ) then sprinkled the black pepper in the same fashion. Not sure if that "alone" worked as I also bombed the house, and put down those little black plastic thingy that traps them. Never saw another roach in my house for the next 10 years. We're in TN now and have never absolutely saw one in the couple years we've been here. Yes, we bombed the house before we moved in., more so for the spiders than roaches.

PS: I'll take spiders over roaches any day!

I hear you. I'm the exact same way as you. I'm horrified of roaches, and much prefer spiders. I wouldn't have been able to kill the one in the fridge. Going to put diatomaceous earth under the garage door even though I haven't seen a roach in awhile. Horrid creatures.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I hear you. I'm the exact same way as you. I'm horrified of roaches, and much prefer spiders. I wouldn't have been able to kill the one in the fridge. Going to put diatomaceous earth under the garage door even though I haven't seen a roach in awhile. Horrid creatures.
Yes, nasty, horrid, horrific......and they're evil! One bit me on the mouth when I was about 10 years old. I'll never forget it! Have never forgotten it! I was eating cookies and remembered my dad telling me to wash my face and hands before going to bed. Did I listen? Oh noooo, should have. Felt something bit me and remembered snatching, squeezing and flinging it on the floor near my bed. Got up the next morning and saw his evil behind on his back, feet in the air, still taunting me! Fast forward years later, it didn't help when we were back in FL my husband knowing my phobia; chased me down with one and threw it on me!! Been traumatized ever since.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,399 times
Have seen these horrid things only from Atlanta, GA, south to where I currently am in central AL. Nasty things - give me chills to find one in the house. I have been told they like to live in pinestraw (have seen them in bales of the stuff that we used to use for mulch). I do spray around the perimeter of the house, around the doors. Hate the things. I cleared an apartment in Atlanta of the vile beasts by dropping boric acid down every electrical outlet in the place, put it in the corners of cabinets, in small "pans" made by me out of aluminum foil under appliances. Never saw another one in that place. Just hate them. Did not know that baking soda acts the same as boric acid. Will have to try that - boric acid and small indoor pets don't mix too well.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:19 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
Yes, they seem to like pine straw. In my first house I went on the roof and found a pile
of pine straw that had fallen from our pine trees.. Must have been builcing up for years
as it was thick and matted. There were hundreds of them in there in all sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher36870 View Post
Have seen these horrid things only from Atlanta, GA, south to where I currently am in central AL. Nasty things - give me chills to find one in the house. I have been told they like to live in pinestraw (have seen them in bales of the stuff that we used to use for mulch). I do spray around the perimeter of the house, around the doors. Hate the things. I cleared an apartment in Atlanta of the vile beasts by dropping boric acid down every electrical outlet in the place, put it in the corners of cabinets, in small "pans" made by me out of aluminum foil under appliances. Never saw another one in that place. Just hate them. Did not know that baking soda acts the same as boric acid. Will have to try that - boric acid and small indoor pets don't mix too well.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:35 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Thanks for posting all the tips! I will be using all of them when I get down there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida