U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,713 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I desperately need some help and insight here. I will be moving to Fl next year and desperately need to know the pro's and con's of Tampa Vs Jacksonville. Work is not an issue because I am fortunate enough to have work assured in either one or the other. So what I need to know about is quality of life and schools. I'm married and have two children a 16 yr old and a 4 yr old so schools are important. Please I need to make a decision in the next few months. Thank you for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,788,142 times
Tampa... that is all.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,336 times
If your two choices are Tampa and Jax, I would strongly recommend Tampa. I see that you are moving from P.R. and with that said Tampa will allow you to sometimes still feel at home. The Tampa area has a large P.R. population and there are many Latin American restaurants where you can enjoy some arroz con pollo or pasteles. In contrast, Jax would be a huge culture shock because Jacksonville is one of those quintessential "southern cities" with a lack of diversity. I think the best part of Tampa to live is in the New Tampa/Wesley Chapel area or the Brandon/Riverview area because the schools are nice the neighborhoods are newer.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,172,346 times
I think the better question is this guaranteed job in both, I'm presuming its with the same company and they have locations in both cities. Do you know the actual location within the metros?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:40 PM

15,115 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaboricua View Post
If your two choices are Tampa and Jax, I would strongly recommend Tampa. I see that you are moving from P.R. and with that said Tampa will allow you to sometimes still feel at home. The Tampa area has a large P.R. population and there are many Latin American restaurants where you can enjoy some arroz con pollo or pasteles. In contrast, Jax would be a huge culture shock because Jacksonville is one of those quintessential "southern cities" with a lack of diversity. I think the best part of Tampa to live is in the New Tampa/Wesley Chapel area or the Brandon/Riverview area because the schools are nice the neighborhoods are newer.
This ^^^^. Jax is a southern city, and Tampa has a diverse Latino population. You will like Tampa far better, trust me on this ( I am Latina myself)

Old 06-08-2010, 02:26 PM

4,500 posts, read 6,559,650 times
You will like Tampa!! And I am from Puerto Rico....

Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,713 times
Talking Thanks

Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my call for help. I am going to travel to Tampa this coming July to start house hunting. I'll be working near the Urban Centre which I saw is close to the Westshore Business District. Any recommendations as far as best place to live? I have a 16 and a 4 year old so schools are important. I very family oriented also. I really appreciate you all taking time to help me out. We have one advantage and it's that since this is our third move in 12 years we adapt easily. However we expect to settle down now and stop moving around so it's really important to us. Additionally we've never lived in or close to Florida and have only visited once (Disney World of course ) Thanks again for all your help.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanabon View Post
Hello all, I desperately need some help and insight here. I will be moving to Fl next year and desperately need to know the pro's and con's of Tampa Vs Jacksonville. Work is not an issue because I am fortunate enough to have work assured in either one or the other. So what I need to know about is quality of life and schools. I'm married and have two children a 16 yr old and a 4 yr old so schools are important. Please I need to make a decision in the next few months. Thank you for all your help.

I just know I love the Tampabay area. You have the beaches, the nice breeze from the gulf and much to do. Not to sure about the schools in Florida. Have heard some things but will leave it at that. But I hear that there are some good schools in the clearwater area around ozona. Where else I am not sure. I bet you could find out schools and ratings on the web somewhere. The best way is to homeschool. All public schools are not the best in these times. You have everything at hand in the Tampabay area. Love it here and I have been to the whole state of Florida. The more quiet you would want it the more North in Florida you need to go. It can get cold and even freeze at times in Jacksonville the weather is much nicer in the Tampabay area if you like warm weather. There is a big difference in weather a lot of times. The more you go south the warmer it gets. That means the nicer the winters are. And the center of Florida has some nice winters and great summer nights. Of course I like the weather here all the time except when it has been cold, which is not to often. I am not sure if I helped in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or