U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2010, 11:26 AM

4,120 posts, read 2,678,493 times
Default Feeling taken for granted in the kitchen

I never wanted my Mom to feel "taken for granted" when she cooked meals for our family...and I don't usually feel "taken for granted" by my family....But I have seen women "taken for granted" at times...How do you feel about it? I think kids need to be taught to say "thank you" at an early age for what their moms and dads do for them...

Last edited by CArizona; 06-20-2010 at 12:22 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,676,765 times
I know who isn't.... me. I'm just as happy with greasy Jack in the Box tacos or offal from a C-rated Mexican restaurant as I would be with some fancy-pants, artistically presented dish served on a square plate at a nose-in-the-air restaurant.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:07 PM

I think I probably need to go back to bed or need a little more coffee or ??? I guess the "bragging and boasting' thread became part of the "food snobs" thread...Also....I started a new "food snobs" thread before I saw this thread and tried to turn it into something else instead of deleting it. The new title should be "Feeling taken for granted in the kitchen."....Asked for help in officially changing the title....Phew! I think I'll have a few more cups of coffee and "screw my head back on'....and come back a little later. Happy Father's Day to all the Dads....

Old 06-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I know who isn't.... me. I'm just as happy with greasy Jack in the Box tacos or offal from a C-rated Mexican restaurant as I would be with some fancy-pants, artistically presented dish served on a square plate at a nose-in-the-air restaurant.
Thanks for sharing...I changed this thread to "feeling taken for granted" when I realized that there was already another thread about "food snobs." So sorry for the confusion....Do you ever feel "taken for granted" when you cook?

Old 06-20-2010, 01:45 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,676,765 times
No. Kids are grown and in the wind so I don't cook for anyone but myself on a daily basis. They do have requests for favorite dishes though, which I'm happy to oblige.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:10 PM

7,411 posts, read 8,764,931 times
I have one son who never fails to say "thanks for dinner Mom", when he gets up from the table. The other two, as well as my husband, are more likely to comment on whether or not they liked the entree. I don't care, cooking is just a necessary chore for me. I'm happy when they rave about a meal, but if they don't like it, I don't take it personally.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Thanks for your posts...I don't expect lavish praise everytime I cook.... just a few modest "thank yous."....I definitely don't want anyone to feel obligated to lie and say that everything tastes fantastic when this isn't true...I'm honest about how things seem to be "going" before I set any dishes on the table....I critique my own food at every stage....If I am not happy with something I say so and this opens up the door for everyone else to be honest too...I lead a discussion about what I can do differently the next time.....Everyone gets involved and shares their ideas....It feels like a "team effort"....The discussions bring us closer and we all feel a part of meals. I don't feel all alone.....I feel supported and appreciated.....This is what my Mom used to do when she cooked meals for our family too.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:10 PM

12,503 posts, read 17,905,037 times
mod note: Ok, I think I fixed your thread. Happy Posting

Old 06-20-2010, 03:13 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,110,414 times
I agree with OP.

My oldest daughter used to complain about eating pot roast and other staple dishes in our home. Now that she is away at college, she dreams of pot roast.

I think that this is just another layer in growing up and appreciating your parents, especially your mother. At least the kids do come to that point of really respecting their parents. I think all your efforts pay off in just experiencing that moment.

It's great when mom is still alive and well to say, I mean think, neener neener boo boo.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:51 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,110,414 times
Hee hee at rep.

I can't believe I didn't acknowledge that on this special day.

Yes, even Dads have their ha ha I told you so moments!

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads! Especially the laughing ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink