Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times

Advertisements

Some of the posts remind me I used to make a tasty bean and barley chili and also a mexican lasagna casserole - both meatless. Will have to add those back to the loop.

As much as I enjoy meat in large or small quantities, it's easy to go without it. What I can't bring myself to not eat is starch - gotta have rice, bread, potato, noodles, crackers - something starchy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 AM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times
Pinto beans, fried potatoes and corn bread.
Ravioli, salad, garlic rolls
Oatmeal or coco wheats with toast and fruit
Baked potato soup and mexican cornbread
Homemade Mac n Cheese with broccoli
Quesadillas and rice
Mushroom Quiche and fruit salad
Big salad with boiled eggs, cheese, crutons, and ranch

Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
- Salad: Boiled new potatoes, blanched green beans, seitan fried with rosemary/thyme. Splashed with oil and vinegar and chilled.
- Salad: 1/2 box of rotini, 10 large new potatoes, 6 hard boiled eggs, spicy brown mustard, mayo
- Julienned corn, asparagus, and carrots with sourdough rolls
- Plain oatmeal with brown sugar and banana slices
- Toasted bagel with peanut butter, melted margarine, and strawberry preserves
- Black bean, "mexican" cheese, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce quesadilla with sour cream
- Morningstar Farms' Garden Veggie pattie with American cheese, ketchup, and lettuce on toasted sourdough or rye bread (it doesn't imitate a beef burger, so it's delicious--full of carrots, roasted red peppers, and water chestnuts)

Old 06-22-2010, 12:27 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Veggie stir fry with tofu and rice. Healthy and very economical too. My Dh loves it and he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

Pasta primavera

Fried rice

Soup and salad (my Dh loves broccoli cheese so I make that often)

Fettucini alfredo

Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM

44,347 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Portobello Pizzas (recipe in South Beach Diet cook book). It's way healthful and low-carb. You use a large portobello mushroom cap for the "crust" of the pizza, drizzle it with olive oil, add mozzarella cheese, sliced tomato and basil. Broil for a few minutes, and voila! A fantastic dish that's very satisfying. I make this recipe quite often, even when I'm not dieting!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
DD had a dairy allergy when she was younger, I found a wonderful tofu recipe for spinach lasagna, it incorporates noodles, marinara, spinach, and eggplant. The tofu masquerades as the ricotta.
My family loves this recipe so much I still make it!

Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I usually pick up the chinese cabbage,tofu,kimchi and orange pepper with sesame oil/seed.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
First of all - what happened with this thread is one of my pet peeves - someone starts a thread asking for feedback and then never comes back to comment or even thank all of us wonderful people who tried to help.

Second - we can still get something out of the thread anyway

Third - my recent food obsession fits in this category so I'm posting here instead of starting a new thread about recent food obsessions...

Mujadara! Basically, it's rice, lentils and carmelized onions. It's so good. I hadn't had it for a while but now am on a total mujadara kick and have been eating it every week this month - several days in a row! Yummy

Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
We fix fried potato sandwiches. It's a carry over tradition from the great depression when meat was rationed. Just slice and fry round slices and use like it is a burger. Same trimmings. It's still a craving every so often.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We fix fried potato sandwiches. It's a carry over tradition from the great depression when meat was rationed. Just slice and fry round slices and use like it is a burger. Same trimmings. It's still a craving every so often.
That sounds like it is really good, Nomad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink