U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

460 posts, read 1,843,006 times

Advertisements

I drink Turkey Hill Diet iced tea by the gallons but looking to get off aspartame and don't want to trade it for Splenda or any other artficial sweeteners that are questonable for one's health. Does anybody have any suggestions for Diet Iced teas that actually taste good without sugar or artificial stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,698,525 times
Do you ever drink just plain regular iced tea? Zero calories. I love it!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 AM

4,538 posts, read 5,690,362 times
I go through a lot of Nestea instant unsweetened every summer. You can add (or not) any sweetener you desire. I add lemon, demerara sugar and lots of ice

NESTEA Instant http://mybrands.com/images/products/large/N_2800033310A6.15.10.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-25-2010, 05:55 PM

7,244 posts, read 10,054,420 times
Try any iced tea that you have to brew. It will be good poured over ice without sweetner. If you MUST have sweetner, use Stevia.

Quote:
As a sweetener and sugar substitute, stevia's taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar, although some of its extracts may have a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste at high concentrations.

With its extracts having up to 300 times the sweetness of sugar, stevia has garnered attention with the rise in demand for low-carbohydrate, low-sugar food alternatives. Medical research has also shown possible benefits of stevia in treating obesity and high blood pressure. Because stevia has a negligible effect on blood glucose, it is attractive as a natural sweetener to people on carbohydrate-controlled diets....................The leaves of the stevia plant have 30–45 times the sweetness of sucrose (ordinary table sugar).[4] The leaves can be eaten fresh, or put in teas and foods.
Stevia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-25-2010, 06:01 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,185,412 times
I just use flavored tea bags and sometimes add lemon or chunks of oranges or berries to make like a passion fruit-y tea. You can get some sweet from fruit ice cubes (frozen juice only) or mint ice cubes (thin sliced mint and water in ice cube tray) or use just citrus peels sliced thinly and add water to make ice cubes.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 PM

19,919 posts, read 8,227,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
I just use flavored tea bags and sometimes add lemon or chunks of oranges or berries to make like a passion fruit-y tea. You can get some sweet from fruit ice cubes (frozen juice only) or mint ice cubes (thin sliced mint and water in ice cube tray) or use just citrus peels sliced thinly and add water to make ice cubes.
I do something very similar

I brew my own iced tea with tea bags (non-flavored) and add sliced fruit. If I am slicing up a fresh pineapple, I throw the core into the pitcher of iced tea.

I have also made iced tea with Splenda but prefer to sweeten the tea with fresh fruit.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:05 AM

460 posts, read 1,843,006 times
Seen bad things written about Stevia too so wasn't sure if switching to that from Aspartame would even be worth it All I know is I'm consuming about 1/2 gal of Diet iced tea a day with Aspartame and a little concerned about that. Other than the tea I don't drink anything else with Aspartame that I know of.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:56 AM

17,246 posts, read 20,331,514 times
Has anyone mentioned good old sugar? It's a natural food. If you don't go nuts with the amount you use, there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:04 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,588,523 times
There's always homemade: buy a box of tea bags, take a gallon container, fill it with filtered water, drop in four bags, seal it, and set it in a sunny place. Come back in a few hours, (if it is black or green tea, remove the bags -- do NOT squeeze them, to avoid bitterness), and refrigerate.

When you get down to the last quart, pour it into another container, and start over.

No sugar, no harmful preservatives, and no plastic to fill up the landfills or ocean; just healthy refreshment.

I like the Celestial Seasonings herbal berry teas for my iced tea. They don't have the strings or tags on the bags, and the ingredients are pure. Besides, they are made in America. 8)

Old 06-26-2010, 04:52 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,198,110 times
Talking Go plain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Do you ever drink just plain regular iced tea? Zero calories. I love it!
ME TOO !!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why don't you try to wean yourself off a little less artificial sweetner at a time. just use less & less every time.
Fresh ice tea is great just plain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink