U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 07:14 PM

660 posts, read 1,188,336 times

Advertisements

Who has tried these or knows the best place to get them at? If you've had them, you know what I mean when I say that these are worth seeking out. For those that have never heard of them before, you might have seen them or are curious. They are little French cookies that look like this:

Intrigued? The moment I saw them, I had to have them!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,946,433 times
I hate when people are talking about macarons but type macaroons- especially well renowned sources. Martha Stewart Living magazine and an online Bon Appetite newsletter both misspelled them. They should get it right!

I finally had them while on vacation and they were different than I thought. I liked them, didn't love them, but found them so pretty.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:08 AM

660 posts, read 1,188,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I hate when people are talking about macarons but type macaroons- especially well renowned sources. Martha Stewart Living magazine and an online Bon Appetite newsletter both misspelled them. They should get it right!

I finally had them while on vacation and they were different than I thought. I liked them, didn't love them, but found them so pretty.
I've seen the misspelling too and I'm surprised at the sources, as you mentioned.

They are very pretty but some bakers can get it perfect and others seem to mess up either in texture or flavors. Where did you find the Macarons you had? France, perhaps?

Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,035,222 times
Everybody knows macarons and macaroons are two completely different things.

I like macaroons but macarons are my favorite, not to mentions they are ridiculously pretty...

Old 06-26-2010, 01:36 PM

114,036 posts, read 52,353,828 times
Quote:
Everybody knows macarons and macaroons are two completely different things.
Oh, I doubt Everybody knows what either is..... I think most know what macaroni is!

Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,132 times
I had a French friend who'd wax nostalgic about these but I always figured, Macaroons...big deal. Because I didn't know what they were. I'll have to check 'em out. There are French pastry shops in my region but not close to me, and I looked at reviews to see which are most authentic. I'll have to remember to pick some up if I'm ever out on the west side. I guess there's always this mail order source.

The recipes look simple, just more involved than my regular sandwich cookies, which I've only recently started baking for holidays myself anyway. I'll need a purchased sample for texture and taste comparison. This rose macaron (http://he-eats.com/2010/02/08/rose-macarons/ - broken link) recipe is most interesting to me and if I can get it right then pistachio, lavender and all other kinds of variations would be great for Christmas. In fact, my niece is gonna be a very impoverished student this year so I might have her help me out and she can gift them while we get to enjoy the chefs' treats.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:48 PM

114,036 posts, read 52,353,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Who has tried these or knows the best place to get them at? If you've had them, you know what I mean when I say that these are worth seeking out. For those that have never heard of them before, you might have seen them or are curious. They are little French cookies that look like this:

Intrigued? The moment I saw them, I had to have them!
Well , they're certainly colorful which is an eye catcher.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,880,791 times
I've had macaroons, but not marcarons. I saw the picture of the marcarons. Are they a fancier version of Moon Pies?

Old 06-26-2010, 07:13 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,072,970 times
I use to work here: Home Page. A bag is $6 and you get 6 macaroons. They also have larger macroons and If I remember correctly they are $3 or $4 for one. They are hard to make so I hear. They have hazelnut, chocolate, and raspberry. The owners are from France and they are very friendly and the pastries are delicious. There was this woman who flew all the way from Maryland just to come and get some eclairs, because she said in Maryland she couldnt find authentic eclairs like she had when she went to Paris. So if you are every in Charleston on vacation stop by there! The owners name is Fabrice.

Last edited by princesasabia; 06-26-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 PM

13,092 posts, read 2,290,673 times
I've never heard of Marcarons and I've never seen them before anywhere either, the lemon ones above look mighty delicious though. I have heard of Macaroons but not sure where....so I Googled "Macaroons" and pictures of the cookie/pastry that is posted above is what it gave me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or