Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well, Muir Glen like Newman's is healthy as hell, but it doesn't taste very good. Personally I would rather find out about the tastiest spaghetti sauce, red or white, rather than the healthiest.
Yeah, I could care less about healthy, I am looking for a really great tasting, premium sauce. One option is for me to go to one of the specialty Italian Stores we have locally, I think they sell their own bottled sauce, and give it a try. We have two or three really good Italian food stores here, so I might head on over there.

Generally, I find the bottled sauces too strong and thick. They are nowhere like the sauce you get in a good Italian restaurant, that is what I am trying to duplicate.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yeah, I could care less about healthy, I am looking for a really great tasting, premium sauce. One option is for me to go to one of the specialty Italian Stores we have locally, I think they sell their own bottled sauce, and give it a try. We have two or three really good Italian food stores here, so I might head on over there.

Generally, I find the bottled sauces too strong and thick. They are nowhere like the sauce you get in a good Italian restaurant, that is what I am trying to duplicate.

Don
Don, I've tried Muir Glen's pizza sauce and it is really delicious -- WAY better than others I've tried, which typically are sickeningly sweet. I've thought about trying their pizza sauce on pasta ... I don't know why it wouldn't work but I still hesitate for some reason.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I can't buy sauce anymore. I just get crushed tomatoes with basil, chop and onion and sweat in olive oil till they are soft, add garlic, add oregano and perhaps thyme. Then add the tomatoes and extra olive oil and simmer for 20 minutes. It is way better than the jar. I'll add meat or sun dried tomatoes or roasted peppers or sausage when I add the tomatoes. A splash of balsamic vinegar is good at the end too.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Classico Spicy Tomato and Pesto sauce is my go-to sauce.

Stir fry onions, peppers, and zucchini chunks for a moment and toss the sauce in. Serve over spaghetti, penne... topped with shaved parmesan-reggiano cheese. Delish.

I've tried a ton of other sauces, doctored them up with pesto and one thing and another. Always go back to Classico's.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Whatever is on sale.

I adulterate sauces so much by adding everything from more spices to grated cheeses to extra virgin olive oil to chopped Kalamata olives, capers, onions, garlic, etc. that is does not resemble the stuff in the jar.

Im pretty much the same way. I'll use Ragu in a jar or Hunts in a can. I'm gonna doctor the heck out if it anyway.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:23 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
On those occasions when I buy bottled sauce, I buy what is on sale (I compare the ingredients though) and add additional fresh ingredients. Garlic is Always the first fresh ingredient to be added.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've tried most of the ones you guys mentioned and more, but is there one really premium sauce that stands head and shoulders above the rest ? Cost no issue. I would like to try one that is considered the very best and see how I like it.

Don
Mario Batali's are very fresh tasting

Old 08-23-2014, 04:47 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Seldom do I make sauce from scratch anymore. I just use jarred, and add to it if necessary.

My favorite is Francesco Rinaldi (Original or Sweet & Tasty Tomato). It's a local company, too. I especially like it for making pasta e fagioli, a favorite of ours.

How about you?

I used to love Aunt Millie's, but it disappeared. Rao's or Bertolli....not exact substitutes, but I try to go on with it.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

Ya know, that sounds like it would work -- and it never occurred to me!

The chicken and sausage always taste great the day after (and the day after that!) and I always mix them right in, so it just never entered my head to try this. Thanks for the suggestion -- I will try it next time!!

A side note here, the other reason I do this is because I try to always have browned hamburger in the fridge because my Husband is diabetic and when his numbers are high it is good for him to have a strong protein.
Also, I eat a lot of tacos so the meat being browned already cuts the amount of time it takes for me to prepare a meal.
I can take out the amount of browned hamburger I need put the appropriate seasoning in it as needed for the dish and I am usually done in half the time.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I make Marcella Hazan's Tomato, Onion, and Butter sauce for pasta. It's almost as difficult as "doctoring up" jarred sauce, and it tastes so much better than any jarred sauce I've had (Classico before it got bought out, Prego, Ragu, Trader Joe's). I always use canned tomatoes. I add fresh basil and serve with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. It's literally the easiest thing I know how to make. You don't even have to chop the onion--just peel it and cut it almost in half. Except for the jar from TJ's, I literally haven't felt the need to use jarred sauce since 1991.

Marcella Hazan?s Tomato Sauce - Recipes - The New York Times
+1
Marcella has been my girlfriend since 1976. You're right "doctoring up" takes the same time as taking a couple of handfuls of plum tomatoes + doctoring as opening a can +doctoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink