Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 05:58 PM

3,746 posts, read 4,059,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Seldom do I make sauce from scratch anymore. I just use jarred, and add to it if necessary.

My favorite is Francesco Rinaldi (Original or Sweet & Tasty Tomato). It's a local company, too. I especially like it for making pasta e fagioli, a favorite of ours.

How about you?

I use many different brands, and am partial to a few, the best known of which is Bertoli. Many times I will buy whatever is on special. Before trying a new brand, I always read the ingredients label. If soybean oil is one of the ingredients, or if there are any preservatives or artificial ingredients, I immediately put the jar back on the shelf. That eliminates many of the cheap brands, but if one is careful one can still find good quality sauce without spending a lot of money, or buying a premium brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 06:44 PM

813 posts, read 1,266,798 times
My favorite sauce is Boves - the tomato and basil flavor. It is easy to modify if that is your thing, but it has a nice flavor all by itself. An, it is gluten-free and GMO free.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:33 PM

41 posts, read 58,290 times
I love Newman's Fra Diavolo.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,711,309 times
I can tell you which ones I don't like so far. I used to make from scratch but it's just me who eats it so I began experimenting. Cheaper to run the microwabe than the stovetop for an hour.

Hunt's in the can, Colavita and Shop Rite are terribly thin. The first two's flavor sucked. The Shop Rite tastes right but is too thin.

Rinaldi trditional marinara is the winner so far......

Old 08-24-2014, 07:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
Most of the time, I don't even use marinara or meat sauce, jarred or homemade. I usually toss pasta with olive oil, garlic, chopped herbs, maybe grate some hard cheese on top, sometimes with some add ins like fresh spinach leaves if I have any on hand, or sundried tomatoes. Or a simple pesto from basil I grabbed out of the garden. I've never been that fond of red sauce.

Pasta dishes are not a staple for me. They are almost always my "throw together quickly because I'm short on time and/or energy" quick meal, and simmering a homemade marinara all day doesn't go well with that. Pasta's not a labor of love for me, it's what I do if I need something quick, cheap, and filling but still want a cooked meal. I'm never going to be the person who slow cooks a homemade tomato-based pasta sauce all day...I just don't like it that much.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:26 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,664,078 times
I always use to make my own sauce, but not anymore. There is such a great selection now, I usually go with Classico (whichever one had the least amt of sodium) and I buy a sm jar of tomato paste and add that with a little water. I also drizzle a little olive oil in the sauce for added flavor.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM

759 posts, read 1,349,942 times
There's a local Italian market here in Baltimore (Trinacria, since 1913), that cans their own in Mason jars-best store bought sauce I've ever had-needs nothing. But at $7-8/qt....
I usually buy the cheap stuff off the shelf, and then doctor it up with freshly sauteed onions, garlic, pepper flakes, bay leaves, oregano, basil, thyme (dried herbs work just fine for a long-simmered "gravy"), a dash of Worcestershire, and some red wine, thin it with water, or tighten it up with some paste-likewise, if going for a meat containing sauce, I may add some bones, beef or pork stock, or beef base in a pinch. Always avoid the super-sweet sauces, e.g., Ragu, etc.-you can't get the sugar out.
One sauce I can't make, and always buy: good old A-1.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE sweet sauces, whether prepared or homemade. Why, why, why put sugar in a pasta sauce?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:33 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,266,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE sweet sauces, whether prepared or homemade. Why, why, why put sugar in a pasta sauce?
I always put some sugar in pasta sauce. It's a counterpoint to the tartness of tomato, and balances the flavours nicely.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:12 PM

3,746 posts, read 4,059,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
There's a local Italian market here in Baltimore (Trinacria, since 1913), that cans their own in Mason jars-best store bought sauce I've ever had-needs nothing. But at $7-8/qt....
I usually buy the cheap stuff off the shelf, and then doctor it up with freshly sauteed onions, garlic, pepper flakes, bay leaves, oregano, basil, thyme (dried herbs work just fine for a long-simmered "gravy"), a dash of Worcestershire, and some red wine, thin it with water, or tighten it up with some paste-likewise, if going for a meat containing sauce, I may add some bones, beef or pork stock, or beef base in a pinch. Always avoid the super-sweet sauces, e.g., Ragu, etc.-you can't get the sugar out.
One sauce I can't make, and always buy: good old A-1.

AH yes, Trinacria, a wonderful Italian store!! They deliver their homemade sauces to many restaurants in the Baltimore-Washington area. Their homemade cannolis are also very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink