Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times

Advertisements

How often do you injure yourself in the kitchen, cuts and burns, etc?

I'm extremely careful, I keep my knives very sharp, and I still never have an accident. My wife is the opposite, she keeps an ambulance on retainer.

Once while camping in Montana, miles from any human, she was preparing supper, and I heard the ubiquitous "ouch" and said "what is it this time?" She said "oh-oh, this one is really bad". But she is getting good at playing through the pain, and was only disabled for a few days. Needless to say, no medical attention.

My theory is that you never cut yourself on a really sharp knife, because it goes where you want it to go. But you have to be careful when it's not in use, and just lying around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 07:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
I slice open a digit no less than 3 times a year, and only when using my extremely sharp carbon steel chef's knife. My mind sometimes wanders somewhere around the 6th or 7th onion for onion soup, then the carnage happens.

A couple times a year I'll scalp the top of my first thumb knuckle while peeling carrots or taters.

The usual spatter burns from grease and hot water scaldings because my tap water is so hot. Handle burns from my cast iron pieces. Rack burns from hot ovens.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:26 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,813,852 times
Oh, you name it!

I love to cook and now and then will have the occasional burn, bruise cut, etc. My worst one, I guess, was a second degree burn with boiling water.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:28 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,836,588 times
^^^ yup, yup and yup to Fontucky

Worst kitchen accident though was to a friend not myself. While washing dishes barefoot, she dropped a glass which broke and sliced through the tendon in one of her big toes.

Oh okay,that's if you discount the time I scalded myself with steam when refilling a kettle that had burned dry on the stove (in my defense I WAS about 15 at the time)

Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Oh, that reminds me, I forgot one. I dropped a chef's knife and it speared my foot, right through the tongue of the shoe.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 PM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
^^Been there, done that! I had a knife stick straight up in my toenail once. Ow.

The most painful: sliced up my left index finger learning to debone a chicken breast. It's a good thing you can get them already boned and skinned these days.

The most expensive: Cut open the meaty bits between my thumb and index finger trying to slice the cap open on a two-liter bottle of pop. If I"d have ditched that bottle and opened a bottle that wasn't so stubborn, I would have been out 99 cents. Instead, the urgent care co-pays and antibiotics cost me $150.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:43 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,601 times
Haven't had a serious cut, except in 3rd grade I was cutting an orange with a sharp knife and it slipped and almost sliced my finger off (the section under my nail where it crinkles). It was okay though. Went about 1/2 way to the other side of the finger/

Since then the worst (painful) was a deep papercut with aluminum foil. Don't know how much that hurts til you can't pick the aluminumn out..OWWWWWWWW

Old 07-18-2010, 06:10 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Once I was put on blood thinners I purchased a cutting glove. It has given me a peace of mind.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,564 times
Not counting the occasional burn and spatter, my only serious injury was whilst making salsa. And it wasn't even GOOD salsa- turns out.

Managed to stab my thumb, slicing through the nerve. The pad feels funny and I have a wee scar, but that's about it.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,206,908 times
My worst injury had nothing to do with a knife. I was making an appetizer recipe for sauerkraut balls that used the corned beef that comes in like a spam can. The can has a thing you pull off to open it, like the thing on cans of frozen orange juice. It was being stubborn and I wasnt really thinking. So I grab the pull and do what I would do to get more leverage on an orange juice can-wrap the pull it around my hand then pull with all my strength. Problem: the pull on this can was not plastic like orange juice cans, it was METAL. That puppy sliced right through my entire hand. Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink