Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM

16,943 posts, read 16,183,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Tipping based on the quality of the food is flat-out wrong. Here's a tip: your server didn't cook your meal.

If you have a problem with the food, speak to a manager. Don't punish your server.
I agree that the server has no control over the quality of ingredients or the actual taste of the food.

However, good servers should always check and make sure that everything that is supposed to be on the plate, is on the plate. Also timely delivery of the food from kitchen to table is the server's responsibility - if food is slow to get to the table and it is also cold, it could very well be the server's fault.

Good servers always ask their customers if they are enjoying their food. If the customer is unhappy for some reason, the server should notify the manager.

All this being said, I do not think it is right for a customer to consume part of a meal and then decide to just walk out without paying for it, whether their server has been a good one or not. They should always talk to a manger first.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,004,675 times
I agree with everything you said, but will also state that the back of the house is often completely out of the server's control. Plates that sit in the window because the server is chatting with a pal? Servers fault. Plates that are slow to come out because the line is backed up, the person expediting isn't doing a good job, the cooks are re-firing dishes or the room is understaffed? Not the servers fault.

I do agree that a server should check on you, and nip any issues in the bud. Mistakes happen and every place has an off-night, but how those errors are handled is often a good indication of a server or a restaurant.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM

72,814 posts, read 62,135,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I agree with everything you said, but will also state that the back of the house is often completely out of the server's control. Plates that sit in the window because the server is chatting with a pal? Servers fault. Plates that are slow to come out because the line is backed up, the person expediting isn't doing a good job, the cooks are re-firing dishes or the room is understaffed? Not the servers fault.

I do agree that a server should check on you, and nip any issues in the bud. Mistakes happen and every place has an off-night, but how those errors are handled is often a good indication of a server or a restaurant.
One of those nights I did run into a situation where it was understaffed. However, I had to make sure it was true. I watched the waitresses and how they conducted themselves with other customers vs me.

I'm not going to be hard on a waitress if the cooks aren't doing their job or if the place is understaffed.

I do get irritated if a waitress seems to a passive-aggressive attitude towards me. I do watch for things such as me getting ignored vs other customers getting treated better.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 PM

20,825 posts, read 28,159,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Your server doesn't prepare the meal! Why would you punish the server if your food isn't tasty?
I never said punish the server for bad food, where did i say that , I have a had a few bad meals in my life but not that many and I still always tipped the server. I know it's not their fault. I said I wanted top notch service as well as food, if the food is so so the waitstaff is still going to get a tip from me regardless.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,346,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
UPDATE: The place that I dined at has shut down as of last week. I stop going there for a short while. I went back and some waitresses I had not seen before gave me decent service. I tipped them well(around 25-35%). There was still one waitress I remember who I got lousy service from. She was also a bartender. I don't know if that made a difference, but it seemed like she had a problem with me. I don't know, but I have a hard time trusting people. I didn't know if she thought I was a pain. I didn't know if she had a problem with the fact that I say "pop" instead of "coke(I live in the western suburbs of Atlanta, so I'm in the South). I didn't know if race played a factor(I'm Black and male, and young). Personally, I didn't know what to do at the moment. I never know what goes through anyone's mind. Generally, the pizzeria/bar place went to, service could be good. At the same time, it could be hit or miss. What made me go back was the food. Good Italian food, better than what I found at other places. I started to learn which waitresses were wonderful and which waitresses weren't. I stopped eating at bar or anywhere near it for that reason. I learned the waitresses who worked the booths were better servers than those who worked near the bar, or on the porch(at least towards me).

It closed down because of rent issues. It was simply too expensive to rent.

As for the laptop, I started waiting until after I ordered the food.
Thanks so much for coming back to update, even after 4 years!

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink