U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 PM

38,741 posts, read 36,637,297 times
Invest in a pressure cooker. Cut up several pounds of veggies (carrots, onions, celery), a few ounces of polish sausage, throw them in there with a pound of dried red beans and a half a gallon of water. In a pressure cooker, they'll almost be done (about 45 minutes) by the time the rice is cooked (separately). Red beans and rice, in less than an hour, from scratch. Bring on the Tabasco and turn up the Zydeco CD. Dishes like this take a lot less meat than you'd think, to give it a satisfying meat presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 07:10 AM

434 posts, read 602,330 times
[quote=jtur88;15333888]Invest in a pressure cooker. quote]

I just read an interesting article in the Mother Earth News on-line newsletter that said you can save a "more than $325 a year" using a pressure cooker. The name of the article is Four Reasons To Use a Pressure Cooker. I am thinking about investing in one of the nice newer ones.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:21 AM

38,741 posts, read 36,637,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
that said you can save a "more than $325 a year" using a pressure cooker. .
Be careful about what you "can" save, compared to what you will save.

My car insurance is $375 a year, and I see TV ads that say if I switch to somebody else, I can save $450 a year. Hell of a deal, but not likely to materialize.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 AM

8,395 posts, read 11,637,734 times
Big Hoss, here in Ohio our Sam's club sells a fully cooked delicious rotisserie chicken for $4.84. I think three would feed your crowd and I know I can't make them at home for $15.

For comfort food, try about 10 pounds of pork shoulder. One bottle of barbeque sauce on it. Cook covered for 2 hours at 300 F. Then uncover and cook another hour or until falling apart.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-29-2010 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 10:41 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,073,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Big Hoss, here in Ohio our Sam's club sells a fully cooked delicious rotisserie chicken for $4.84. I think two of them (thre at most) would feed your crowd and I know I can't make them at home for that.
Yes you can. Let's do the math just from your post. A whole chicken yields a back (practically useless but you can use them in making stock or scrap the little meat off for chicken salad), 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings, and 2 breasts (with the tenders). That's 9 pieces of chicken, times 3 birds, so 27 in all. There are 7 people in the household and most are adults who will easily eat 3 pieces alone. Depending on the kids they could eat 3 pieces as well. So that's 21 pieces gone already. Subtract the 3 backs that are useless on a rotisserie and you have 3 pieces of chicken left over (27 pieces - 3 backs - 21 pieces eaten). So OP just spent $14.52 on chicken for all of 1 meal. If she does that for 7 days that's $101.64/week just for meat. She can do much better than that, even with chicken. She could have pork, beef, and steak for that price. Let's not even talk about beans, eggs, and fish.

A raw whole chicken from the cold section is much bigger than those rotisserie chickens. They are also cheaper.

OP could bake or crock pot 3 whole chickens and have enough meat left over for several meals. You really can't do that as well with the smaller rotisserie chickens. Plus she'd have the stock left over to use in other dishes.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Yes you can. Let's do the math just from your post. A whole chicken yields a back (practically useless but you can use them in making stock or scrap the little meat off for chicken salad), 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings, and 2 breasts (with the tenders). That's 9 pieces of chicken, times 3 birds, so 27 in all. There are 7 people in the household and most are adults who will easily eat 3 pieces alone. Depending on the kids they could eat 3 pieces as well. So that's 21 pieces gone already. Subtract the 3 backs that are useless on a rotisserie and you have 3 pieces of chicken left over (27 pieces - 3 backs - 21 pieces eaten). So OP just spent $14.52 on chicken for all of 1 meal. If she does that for 7 days that's $101.64/week just for meat. She can do much better than that, even with chicken. She could have pork, beef, and steak for that price. Let's not even talk about beans, eggs, and fish.

A raw whole chicken from the cold section is much bigger than those rotisserie chickens. They are also cheaper.

OP could bake or crock pot 3 whole chickens and have enough meat left over for several meals. You really can't do that as well with the smaller rotisserie chickens. Plus she'd have the stock left over to use in other dishes.
First of all, if he buys raw chickens and cooks them in a crock pot with out vegetables, herbs and spices, as you suggest, they will be horrible. Actually, crock pot chicken is horrible anyway no matter what you do. And, I wasn't suggesting carry out rotisserie chicken every night as you so ridiculously projected. In my world where we season our food and cook for attractiveness and appeal rather than pure cheap and easy as you seem to do, I like a change of pace now and then. I thought the OP might want that too and $14.52 is a heck of a lot better meal than $35 worth of pizza. And the leftovers for a pot pie. Wouldn't you agree? What would you save after adding vegetables, herbs and spices so the dish will be edible? And, a can of chicken broth probably, right? I stand by my post.

Now, as far as cooking raw chicken is concerned, the crock pot is death to a good meal of chicken. There is no better way to cook raw chicken than browning the chicken in olive oil adding vegetables, herbs, and spices and roasting covered for an hour at low temp (325) then uncovered for half an hour uncovered.

The leftovers from that dish willl then be a great chicken pot pie.

Last edited by Wilson513; 08-29-2010 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 02:49 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,073,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
First of all, if he buys raw chickens and cooks them in a crock pot with out vegetables, herbs and spices, as you suggest, they will be horrible. Actually, crock pot chicken is horrible anyway no matter what you do. And, I wasn't suggesting carry out rotisserie chicken every night as you so ridiculously projected. In my world where we season our food and cook for attractiveness and appeal rather than pure cheap and easy as you seem to do, I like a change of pace now and then. I thought the OP might want that too and $14.52 is a heck of a lot better meal than $35 worth of pizza. And the leftovers for a pot pie. Wouldn't you agree? What would you save after adding vegetables, herbs and spices so the dish will be edible? And, a can of chicken broth probably, right? I stand by my post.

Now, as far as cooking raw chicken is concerned, the crock pot is death to a good meal of chicken. There is no better way to cook raw chicken than browning the chicken in olive oil adding vegetables, herbs, and spices and roasting covered for an hour at low temp (325) then uncovered for half an hour uncovered.

The leftovers from that dish willl then be a great chicken pot pie.
Actually, you are incorrect. First off, you left off where I said bake or crock pot the chicken. Second off, I crock pot chicken all the time and it's just fine.

My take home message is I think it's ridiculous to spend close to $15 on chicken for one meal - for 7 people. If you read the OP again, you'd see that she is cooking for 7 people with 5 of them being adults. A couple rotisserie chickens just wouldn't do here because they are more expensive PLUS they tend to be smaller than store brought raw chicken or even leg quarters. And I just don't see there being much meat left over for many other meals because those chickens are so darn small!

My point in breaking down the cost to you and showing your idea across a week was to show you that this isn't cost effective. I stand by my post on that.

Btw, I'd never tell anyone to spend $35 on pizza. She could make pizza for a fraction of that cost. But even the $35 pizza would yield a lower price per person than the rotisserie chicken, especially since it's usually considered a complete meal (or add in a salad or pasta). They have yet to produce sides and bread for 7 people with the rotisserie idea.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Crock pot + chicken = drek.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,668,252 times
Now craving chickie pot pie...with lots of veggies.....

Old 08-30-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Now craving chickie pot pie...with lots of veggies.....
I don't think there is a better comfort food than a home made chicken pot pie. And they are best with left over chicken made for a more elegant meal. I hate to admit it, but I use canned corn and frozen peas although the carrots and potatoes are usually fresh. Granny, I make a bechamel sauce, heavy on the butter, but there may be a more responsible way to make this pie for a large family on a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink