U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,431,330 times

Advertisements

I was watching a tv show and people seemed to be more drawn to a restaurant with many options on the menu as opposed to one with fewer ones.

I could not really figure whether it was something simply based on one being able to have many choices or bc many people thought the mere fact that the restaurant had more dishes on the menu made it seem a better restaurant overall.

To me, it has always been quite the opposite: the fewer choices, in general, the higher the quality of the dishes served.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,506 posts, read 6,270,648 times

Old 07-29-2010, 02:41 PM

2,038 posts, read 2,441,618 times
I like quality over quantity. Plus when I'm hungry, I get indecisive and second guess my decisions.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 PM

143 posts, read 190,584 times
I tend to go for quantity at restaurants that I know aren't that great anyway, Applebee's-type joints, because I am more likely to find something vegetarian (I don't eat meat unless I know where it comes from). Usually there's a salad or a veggie burger somewhere.

But in general, yeah, I prefer places with smaller menus that focus on the quality of the dish. Even diners - the best diners are the ones that know to focus on making really awesome burgers and pancakes, as opposed to those huge ones that try to serve everything under the sun.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 PM

99,107 posts, read 25,855,529 times
I think it's meaningless how many dishes are served at a given establishment. Certainly it is not a reliable measure of their foods quality! I don't eat that much so ...quality over quantity for me. But, my wallet is not a bottomless pit. So price enters my dining decisions as well.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM
bjh

20,395 posts, read 12,154,478 times
The fewer dishes the higher the quality and usually the prices. Just the way it goes.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM

2,038 posts, read 2,441,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
The fewer dishes the higher the quality and usually the prices. Just the way it goes.
Cheesecake Factory or Grand Luxe Cafe withstanding.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 AM

13,036 posts, read 15,092,421 times
I tend to prefer restaurants which offer a much smaller menu. I like places who change their menus often ( daily is even more impressive as they take advantage of the best that is available on the day in the market for example) and offer seasonal food.

I find it far more impressive for a chef to be able to cook different dishes on a regular basis than re-hashing the old ones all the time. It shows a lot of skill and a proper love of food and interest in cooking food when it is at its best.

And of course it makes it a lot more interesting from a customer's point of view.

I am always very wary and suspicious of a menu with 200 dishes and dishes which never change through the seasons. A good chef does not cook the same thing in winter than in spring or summer. He/she understands the seasonality of ingredients and knows how to utilise them when they are at their best .

Old 07-31-2010, 02:17 PM

17,775 posts, read 15,181,472 times
I like more choices. Not a fan of restaurants with few options for repeat visits, unless they change their menu frequently...I get bored always ordering the same couple of things.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:11 AM

4,891 posts, read 11,994,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Cheesecake Factory or Grand Luxe Cafe withstanding.
actually we waited an hour for our table at the cheesecake factory, then had to go through a 40 page menu, only to find that the food SUCKED...
never went back again...
give me small place small menu any day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink