U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has milk prices made you stop or cut back on buying milk?
Yes 5 18.52%
No 22 81.48%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 AM

2,072 posts, read 10,868,678 times

Advertisements

I buy very little milk - maybe 1/2 gallon and it'll last me 2 weeks. I don't even look at prices .......... if I want something, I buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 12:36 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
I buy organic milk for my daughter who is 16 months old - we go through about 1.5 gallons of that per week, and each half gallon costs $3.49. I also buy 2% for my son's and my own consumption, which is another $3.59/gallon. I never really looked at the price of milk until recently, but I can't change our purchasing habits either so it's really just for my own info that I've been making a note of the price. I am shocked that someone would cut back on milk to save a few dollars a week but have no problem whatsoever spending over $50/month on cable tv and other non-so-necessities. But to each his own - I'd rather ensure that my family is getting their nutritional needs met than feeding an SUV any day.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:36 AM

9,751 posts, read 21,603,122 times
I haven't bought a gallon of milk for a good 15 years or longer. Soy milk is much tastier on cereal anyway, especially the vanilla.

Last edited by PinkString; 06-26-2007 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-27-2007, 04:22 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,188,628 times
lol, I bought soy milk, the vanilla flavor, and I drank it and thought it wonderful. Without saying anything I gave it to my husband, well he thought the milk I gave him was spoiled, would not drink it. I finally fessed up to my healthy secret and he laughed and said "Buy me milk, you get healthy".

We drink milk with dinner, can't go without. Everything is going up in price and you just need to budget for the foods/things you can't go without. Us, we eat out very little, that helps with the food budget.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,128,367 times
Milk is good for you...osteoporosis is expensive too. We still buy milk; my husband and I usually go through a gallon every week or so. I plan on switching to organic in the next few months as we hope to start making a baby next year. I would never skimp on healthy things to eat because of cost. Eating healthy is cheap compared to eating in a restaurant or enjoying the luxuries we enjoy.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:44 AM

9,751 posts, read 21,603,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Milk is good for you...osteoporosis is expensive too. We still buy milk; my husband and I usually go through a gallon every week or so. I plan on switching to organic in the next few months as we hope to start making a baby next year. I would never skimp on healthy things to eat because of cost. Eating healthy is cheap compared to eating in a restaurant or enjoying the luxuries we enjoy.
Actually milk is not good for me. You do not get osteoporosis from not drinking milk. You get it from ingesting too much protein. Organic milk is better i suppose, although i don't touch the stuff. To me it tastes terrible, and i used to guzzle gallons of it in my younger days.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 AM

3,161 posts, read 7,883,965 times
I get milk from a local farm co-op so the price hasn't budged. Milk made close to home tastes better!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:30 AM

4,007 posts, read 9,885,827 times
We have 3 young boys so we buy milk. I buy from costco as the prices are about 45% less than our local grocery store. We have a deep freeze and I buy about 8 gallons at a time and freeze all but 2. We go through about 2-3 gallons a week.

We used to go through more but we have cut back. Our boys can have 3 cups per day (one on their cereal) and after that they have to drink water. That is our newest food rule. They need the water anyway so it isn't a bad thing.

Dawn

Old 07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
San

54 posts, read 379,174 times
One thing that I've started doing that helps a bit, is to keep a good supply of dehydrated milk. It's less expensive and I use that for all of my cooking that calls for milk. I just use the powder and the recommended amount of water. The powdered milk keeps well and I just use the fresh milk for cereal and drinking.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:41 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,310,880 times
Havent changed our habits from a consumption standpoint...pretty green and crunchy over here....organics and such. Organic for a 1/2 gallon is 4.29 (stonyfield farms)..and I buy..no joke 4-6 at a time. At that gets us thru the week. I love a cold glass with cookies at night...and my girls drink milk as well. I havent cut back on anything..milk, eggs, breads...I dont buy cheap meat..as I would rather buy a good cut of fillet mignon and enjoy it once a week.then buy the "chewy" gross stuff. We mostly eat chicken and that is organic as well...usually the tenderloins...When I see a good sale..I do stock up and throw it in our spare fridge in the garage.

The only thing that I am startin to do is take notice of the supermarkets that I frequent and am juuussstttt starting to keep the coupons if I get them..find out where they can be doubled and see what happens. I am always intrigued by these tales of "I saved 50%" of my grocery bill.

I dont see how, because I buy alot of fresh foods and NOT processed foods...but I dont put a price on eating healthy..the kids need good nutrition and need to see and learn what "eating right" is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or