U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread
Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM
4,899 posts, read 15,840,568 times

i dont even know what they are called---those candy buttons that are stuck on that long strip of paper---remind me of my nonna (grandmother), she would buy them for me every time we went to Krousers lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 12,936,253 times
Default Name some of your best food memories.

Eating fresh rainbow trout, that me and my son and daughter had caught a few hours earlier, pan fried in a little flour, salt, pepper and butter. If I have to go someday, God, make my meal as good as that one was.

Mom making us biscuits. Dropping the water and Crisco in the self rising flour in a 5 lb plastic Tupperware container and then she'd swirl it around and out would come balls of doughy Heaven that became the best biscuits or dumplings (for chicken and dumplings) in the world. She still has that container. It's got to be at least 35 years old. It might've been white, once. As long as I can remember, it's been yellow.

Dad teaching me how to pop popcorn on the stove in a pot with some butter and a plate on top. Becoming an expert at it and watching the Apple Dumpling gang on TV with my family, eating the popcorn I had just made.

Shelling 5 hampers of (name a random bean) while watching Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune with my Mom and Dad. Wondering why no one ever picked the ceramic Dalmatian.

Teaching my son to cut up a chicken. Because, by God, they don't cut themselves up. You will thank me later, son.

Processing a chicken from "Clucking in the front yard." to "Sunday dinner." with my Dad. (Note, at the time of said clucking, that was not a good experience.)

Asking mom if we (me and my two brothers) could "Lick the spoon." and mom would save out some extra cake batter and let us have at it...
and..... fighting over who got to lick the beaters.

Last edited by 70Ford; 05-23-2013 at 10:27 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 AM
16,487 posts, read 19,522,536 times
I was born in Dallas TX. My mother's parents, my grandparents lived there as well. They were very very poor but every Sunday my grandmother cooked a special meal for them and my family. She made friend chicken, mashed potatoes and banana cake, all made from scratch. We never tired of this meal and the smells were unbelievable. Despite me being just a toddler there is still this little part of me that can remember the smells of that dinner. Both of those grandparents died when I was in grade school, so I never got to know them as an adult. I don't know of a single relative that has any of these recipes.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 AM
16,543 posts, read 20,928,113 times
growing up, my dad was a lobster-fisherman, and on the 4th of july, we'd boat out to an island and have a lobsterbake- lobsters, clams, fish,(mackerel we'd catch) corn on the cob, cooked in seaweed - us kids would gather wood for the fire, and pick the seaweed to cook it in.

this was in the early and mid 70's - us kids loved it- the lobsters and clams tasted great-cooked in seaweed- many of the family members are long gone, but we'd remember a special time out on the island

also, growing up in a hunting family-going out with my brother and father - at around 10-12 yrs old, watching a deer be field-dressed... and dad would cut it up himself- we'd eat the heart and liver right away -after soaking in salt water..
most of the time, we'd be out hunting and not see much, but my father taught us alot, how to recognize, and read signs, tracks, how to use a compass (we'd still got lost)

we dug clams, went lobstering, dragged for scallops in the winter-time, picked mussels, fished for what we could use for bait,,,,,and we ate all those foods
as an adult,,,if im along the coast and get a wiff of salt air- memories come flooding back....same as if i eat seafood..

also, the smell of a turkey cooking,,,brings back alot of memories of days gone by- we'd eat turkey on thanksgiving and christmas, go to my grandmother's in kennebunkport- we loved that!!!

also, years ago, my mother would deep fry french fries, I liked the smell of grease because ,,,those french fries were one of my favs
Old 05-24-2013, 05:26 AM
13,036 posts, read 20,927,146 times
Too many to mention but some favourites :

Eating Mussels on a Scottish Beach with Hubby in the Highlands, on a lovely sunny day having just picked the Mussels ourselves, simply steamed over a beach fire wrapped in samphire. Best mussels heaven and a "perfect" day to boot... Literally the best mussels I have ever had, bright orange, plump and juicy and so tasty.

My Great-Aunt's Roast Beef ( always served very rare) with perfect gravy made from the juices of the meat, shallots, red wine and herbs , served with pommes Dauphinoises and freshly picked Wild Mushrooms with garlic and herbs. She always asked what I wanted to eat when I visited and this was always the dish ! And her mouth watering "bugnes" ( a regional type of "beignets") served with only a sprinkle of lemon and dusting of sugar and cinnamon.

My Step-Mother's Onion Tart. Never had one as good as hers since. Also her pile of Crepes which my Father and I would demolish way too quickly...

Fresh Trout grilled on the side of the river with potatoes cooked in the embers of the fire with my Dad. Why do potatoes cooked like that taste so much better than almost anything ?

My Dad's Fillet Steak cooked blue, served with his Béarnaise sauce and simple Green Salad with his stunningly delicious home made vinaigrette ( which I cannot replicate no matter how much I try). A staple at our house growing up when he cooked ( which was incredibly rare) before he remarried, I suspect it was about the only meal he could cook properly...

My Grand-Mother's Home Made Mashed Potatoes mixed with ham with real proper gravy in a little "volcano crater" at the top ! My favourite when little.

Fresh fish cooked on my Grand-Father's boat. Quite often Mackerel. Yum...

Fresh Lobster,Crab and Langoustines at my Great-Grand-Mother's House in Corsica. A little herby home-made Mayonnaise and a green salad from her garden, sitting in the shade under the Vine Pergola with the sound of water babbling nearby. Nothing else. Simple Perfection. Picking fresh Apricots and Peaches from her Orchard. I never wanted candy as a child , fresh fruits are so, so much nicer IMO. Her Roast Chicken killed that morning ( I spent a lot of time plucking...) was the best chicken ever. Nobody will ever convince me that free range and corn and scrap fed chicken can be bettered....

Picnics on the river Hubby and I have when we can , be it when we go punting or rowing on the Thames. Lazy Afternoons moored to the side of the river, reading the Sunday Times and just enjoying a little sunshine and peace and quiet and watching the river wildlife.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 AM
4,245 posts, read 5,486,246 times
My german grandfather cooking for me when i was in Germany for a summer, with stuff from his kitcehn garden, especially this venison stew (think he got the venison from some poacher or hunter freinds of his).
Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 AM
7,672 posts, read 8,711,130 times
I grew up when there were real mom and pop joints to eat at that celebrated their heritage. I loved eating German, Polish, Greek (My fave), Pakistani, Indian, and all kinds of hispanic cooking along with Asian cooking. Too many dishes to list as faves but I felt like I traveled the world in eating.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM
3,592 posts, read 4,296,528 times
Sunday dinners at my grandmothers. There was usually chicken or beef stew, or her famous fried chicken, maix choux (spicy fried niblet corn) potato salad sliced tomatoes and cornbread. Sun Tea my grandmother had brewed the day before, now laden with sugar and lemon. Sometimes she would have "store-bought" cookies and jello for dessert or some homemade chocolate layer cake and jello for dessert.

Mmmm! Bless you in heaven, Grandmother.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 AM
13,263 posts, read 32,947,660 times
My grandmother's:

1. chopped liver on mini pumpernickel
2. kneidlach soup (chicken broth with matzoh balls)
3. double-chocolate milk (normal white milk in a glass, with Fox's U-bet chocolate syrup on the bottom. If I wanted that chocolate, I had to drink the milk. I hated white milk and this was her method of getting me to drink it. I -never- thought of the idea of mixing the two together to make chocolate milk. The thought just plain never occurred to me. I was such a sucker when it came to my grandmother's ideas
4. chocolate frosted cake. I have her recipe - it's a special treat at family gatherings.

Grandma didn't "do" health food. But boy we ate like kings at her house!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 PM
14,052 posts, read 19,332,363 times
My grandmothers chicken popikash (sp??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or