U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:47 AM

3,079 posts, read 924,258 times

Advertisements

My dad's homemade BBQ sauce.....you'd take a whiff and it would bring tears to your eyes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 07:28 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,093,997 times
Growing up, Mother cooked the best standard meals. Meat loaf, fried chicken, potato soup, chicken fried steak, and all the good stuff that was standard fare of the day. But I had a meal on a camping trip that I have never forgotten . My step-father would take me floundering a lot, and one time we found a small island in Matagorda bay, and decided to camp there for the night. As we walked around the island, we came upon a huge oyster reef, and broke off a fair amount of oyster shell to take back. We built a big fire, and set the hunks of shells around the edge of the fire, and when the oysters were cooked, the shells would pop open, and the oysters would be cooked to perfection. I remember someone in our group pulled out hot sauce, and crackers, and believe you me, that meal still stands out in my memory. Simple, and delicious.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,222,690 times
Chicken and Dumplings from my Southern, Texan and Polish grandmother. Period.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:03 PM

12,225 posts, read 1,618,922 times
The first time I tasted fresh cherries from a roadside fruit stand...is that what cherries taste like? Yum!
The first time I tasted tiramisu...mmmmm.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:18 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,328,625 times
Going for a ride on Sundays with a picnic basket full of fried chicken, homemade bread, a jar of pickles, real plates, sliverware and glasses, a jug of lemonade, and a big homemade cherry pie. We did this a lot of Sundays and would stop at a roadside picnic table which were popular along highways in our state.

The smell of Turkey and Dressing cooking on Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings and the hustle and bustle of getting everything ready for the family meal with all of the relatives. Pumpkin pie smells always permeated the house. During the holidays, we always had a big wooden nut bowl with all kinds of nuts in the shell to be cracked with the nutrackers. Santa always left a huge juicy orange in our stocking which we always immediately ate and had juice running down our chins.

Walking the farm fields hunting with my dad and brother for dove, ducks, wild geese, pheasants and rabbits which were a staple in our farm family's diet. I hated duck and geese!

Watching with fascination as my dad dressed wild game in the basement then put the carcass in salt water in the refrigerator to be cooked the next day. Rabbit or pheasant fricassee - fried, then onion slices over the top and a bit of water with a tight fitting lid and let it slowly cook. Of course you had to pick out the buckshot or you would lose a tooth.

Going to grandma's house on either on Saturday or Sunday evening to eat a meal with them. Her sugar cookies kept in an Aluminum pan with a tight lid. Her kitchen had a wood stove where she baked bread in the winter and the kitchen always was warm and smelled so good.

Going fishing in the farm pond, then cleaning the fish myself and watching it be cooked. The fish were nice little bullhead catfish which were so tasty or big crappie.

Eating Grammie's chicken and noodles, her huge dinner rolls and her fondant at Christmas time.

Going to Grammie's one time and her house smelled awful as she was cooking cow kidneys. I would never eat those things! And to watch her make headcheese was a terrible food experience too.

Last edited by rural chick; 05-25-2013 at 03:46 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 05:39 AM

67,273 posts, read 76,997,465 times
Oh my, since I love to spend time in the kitchen and so did my dad (mom, non so much) I have so many, but lets see what comes to mind:

I think the first time I had frog legs (not at home, but in a restaurant) rings a bell. Mainly cause I was only about 7 years old, loved them and have liked them ever since.

The first time I cooked a meal for the Spoiled brat. I cooked for him and another couple. We were all in college at the time: with in 9 months of that dinner we were all married. If the other gal had lived (she died about a year or so ago) both couples would be celebrating our 55th anniversary in just a couple of months. We were married a week before they were. Of course I remember exactly what I made. I served stuffed pork chops, twice baked potatoes, green salad and I made apple pie for dessert.

Another one that comes to mind: one Thanksgiving when our oldest daughter was about 11 or 12, I came down with a horrible virus and couldn't hardly get out of bed. It turned out to be Scarletina (I have no idea how to spell it) anyway, I had all the ingredients for Turkey dinner and God love our daughter, she decided she would fix dinner for the family. She did a darn good job, I will add. The only thing she didn't make was the pumpkin pie, a neighbor brought that to us.

Of course I could probably go on and on, but these stand out..

Old 05-25-2013, 06:07 AM

5,364 posts, read 4,359,874 times
When I was a child, my parents would take us to an Italian restaurant for dinner. Desert was always vanilla ice cream that would come with a glass cruet of the most delicious sweet wine sauce to be poured over the ice cream. I have never come across that sauce since but it was heavenly.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 AM

4,068 posts, read 4,850,452 times
I remember going to a place called Rydin-Hy.
It was a Dude Ranch in Upstate NY..
Went there a couple of times when I was a kid..
It was a double bonus... The Bob Big Boy and their Taco Bar on the way and back..
The all you can eat awesome country cooking when we got there..

Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 AM

3,585 posts, read 3,119,723 times
As a child living in the Lower Rio grande Valley, BIG SUNDAY BREAKFAST.
When Church let out we went to SAMBO's for pancakes....

Barbecoa, Tamales, refried beans and home made flour tortillas, fried papa's
Home made hot sauce, huevo ranchero's.
Great home made food from my Mothers kitchen.
Those were the days.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:25 AM

784 posts, read 882,034 times
My mom wasn't a great cook, but she was an amazing baker. One thing she did cook great though is the most amazing stuffing on Thanksgiving, and that is one great memory for sure.

Then during Christmas she would make 3 dozen or more different kind of cookies, she would be baking for a couple of weeks, it was awesome.

Conch fritters and crab cakes on a tropical beach in the Caribbean.

During my first summer in Israel there was this spot on the Sea of Galilee that had the most amazing baked breads I have ever tasted, and super fresh honey; butter and that honey slathered all over that fresh baked bread is something that is a huge food memory for me.

This artisan chocalatier that used to have a shop along the Riverwalk in San Antonio. He is no longer there, but I remember having the most amazing peanut butter cup I have ever tasted, and searching for it's equivilent ever since.

There are some others, but that is a start ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink