U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM

7,659 posts, read 10,017,158 times

Advertisements

My grandmother used to make a pot roast with potatoes and carrots in a certain pan she'd sent it over once/week. Wow, was that good back then. She also made a sausage, potato, onion thing, good. Mostly dessert memories--Italian cookies w/ frosting, homemade cream puffs, chocolate coffee mocha drops w/ frosting, rice pie (Easter time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,329,470 times
Me aznd my bothers, as kids, fighting over who got the biggest part of a candy bar cut into thirds. Those were the days.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM

23,606 posts, read 30,111,398 times
I really envy the many of you who have fond memories of your grandparents' cooking special meals and recipes. I was raised in the military and we were usually on opposite coasts from mine whom I only saw a mere handful of times during my life. I do, however, recall my Grandmere's (French grandmother's) beef stew which she fixed once when I flew to New York and visited her at age 16. With her French touches it was just marvelous. So, too, was the oyster stew at the original Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station.

Thankfully, my mother was a marvelous cook in several languages and a great baker so my fond memories of her meals and deserts (especially her Christmas bche de Nol) are many and mouth watering. Unfortunately, her recipes disappeared after my parents' deaths but I was lucky enough to have a few and have been able to replicate several.

Funnily enough, one of my fondest food memories is the first (and subsequent) pizza I ever had about the age of 12. A pizza parlor had opened near us in a small, Virginia town and my father brought one home one Friday night. What a taste treat! I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. Fortunately that became a routine meal a couple of times a month and I have yet to taste a pie that good.

Overall, some of the best memories are the wonderful smells coming from my mother's kitchen during the holidays.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 AM

68,680 posts, read 78,692,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Me aznd my bothers, as kids, fighting over who got the biggest part of a candy bar cut into thirds. Those were the days.
I think there was an answer to that but with 3 kids it would have been harder: 1, cuts, the other chooses his/her piece first. Maybe with 3, it could be; 1 marks where to cut, one cuts and then last one takes the first piece.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:54 PM

3,040 posts, read 6,247,681 times
Going to the cider mill for dounts and cider with my step dad and mom
Going to DQ in the summer after a long winter
Once a year around my birthday going to this special restaurant and getting lobster tails. I still enjoy that today
I remember my grandma always serving these expensive chocolates and treats that I thought was so special but really did not like the taste of cause you know as a kid you really just want a Hershey bar.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 AM

241 posts, read 342,045 times
Grandma's chicken and rice....

Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 AM

33,948 posts, read 42,146,340 times
The first thing that comes to mind was fried chicken for dinner on Halloween. For some reason, this was what we always had. We were required to finish our dinner before trick or treating, and I remember the delicious anticipation of the fun to come.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:28 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,214,080 times
I grew up in what is called Little Havana in Miami. My grandparents were old world as well and we walk from our house to 8th street to get cafe con Cubano, pressed/toasted Cuban bread, ham croquetas and other treats. The sights and smells always makes me smile. I miss my childhood Miami, it's all nasty and congested now.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:18 AM

31,043 posts, read 56,797,982 times
Junior year of college I rented a big old house with five other women. One weekend my parents came to visit, and stayed at the house. We planned a big fancy eggs benedict breakfast, and when we told my mom what was on the menu, she looked skeptical, noting our limited cooking equipment and (correctly) assessing our lack of experience at making a complicated meal.

But we pulled it off, despite our lack of a double boiler and other gadgets one would think necessary to cook such a meal. Beginners' luck, I guess. Mom did have to coach us on poaching the eggs, because I'd never done it without a special poaching pan.

The hollandaise sauce was perfect! We had eggs benedict and mimosas, and that probably blew our household food budget for the week!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:20 PM

142 posts, read 299,420 times
As a kid, I would spend summers in Connecticut with my mom's parents, and my grandfather loved to grill - he made really tasty grilled chicken breasts with honey BBQ sauce. We would have ice cream at the end of the night, we both loved maple walnut ice cream and he would serve it to me in my favorite orange bowl. When we would visit for Easter, my grandpa would make frittata with sausage and ricotta cheese.

When there were summer brownouts or blackouts in our neighborhood, my mom would light candles and we'd eat crackers with cheese and summer sausage.

After my father passed away, my mother dated a guy whose family came over from Italy, and we would do Sunday dinner at their house - my "Nonna" would make homemade macaroni, sauce, and tons of great stuff like meatballs, sausage, braciole, etc. For Christmas she would do the traditional seven fish dinner. I loved to help her cook. Really miss those days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink