U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 AM

212 posts, read 237,405 times

Advertisements

I have a very distinct childhood memory of sitting at the kitchen table in our old house eating a bowl of cold sesame noodles. The window is open, the smell of clean laundry on the line is blowing in, and there are wind chimes on the breeze. Here's how mom used to make this dish:

Cook spaghetti or Chinese noodles to al dente, then rinse with cold water, toss with sesame oil so the noodles don't stick, and chill.

Make a sauce with equal parts hot pasta water and sesame paste. Add one stalk chopped scallion, one clove minced garlic, a dash of soy sauce, and a pinch of sugar.

For the topping: Coarsely grate a cucumber and carrot into matchsticks, then toss with a pinch of salt. Fry some eggs to make a thin omelet and slice it into strips.

To assemble: toss the noodles with the sauce and arrange the vegetables and omelet on top, with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro if you want it. Eat it, sit back and remember brighter times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 AM

7,822 posts, read 10,129,658 times
Homemade zapalas. Wow were they good. W/ the white raisins in them and deep fried. My aunt would cook Saturday's in her basement in the summertime. Always making up something good.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:37 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 24 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,465,253 times
Default Foods That Trigger Good Memories

While reading another thread people were talking about some foods taking them back. So what fods take you back to a good memory.

I remember sitting at the kitchen table at my grandparents each of us having a small bowl of strawberries and Perx(which I think was an artificial cream, lol)

My grandfather was also Diabetic and I remember eating his prune Stella D'oro but I liked those dry things, lol.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:38 AM

5,446 posts, read 2,302,891 times
Macaroni and meatballs especially on Sunday.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 AM

16,948 posts, read 3,494,220 times
A southern veggie meal made for me by my grandmother...pinto beans, mac and cheese, sauteed cabbage, cornbread.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:59 AM

16,222 posts, read 25,382,764 times
I cannot believe that you started this thread, Lisa! I was thinking about starting EXACTLY this thread for EXACTLY the same reason. I didn't because, although my triggers are to happy memories, sometimes (like today) they make me weepy for the people who are no longer alive with whom I shared those memories.

Okay, okay, sitting on a step-stool/chair thingy next to my grandmother's oven, watching her stir chicken fat on the stovetop until it turned into those crunchy and chewy gribenes. (https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/s...-and-gribenes/)

Old 01-06-2018, 09:59 AM

34,490 posts, read 42,638,576 times
In New England in the 50s and 60s, almost everyone’s Mom made baked beans from scratch on Saturday. I remember the whole neighborhood smelled of baked beans, and the sound of the Red Sox game was wafting through the windows.

We usually had hotdogs with the beans, and then leftover beans with bacon and eggs in the morning.

When I was under age 5, we lived in the country. Behind us were woods and a cow pasture. We picked blueberries in the woods and had them on our cereal in the morning.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:27 AM

51,101 posts, read 50,409,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Macaroni and meatballs especially on Sunday.
Hahaha.

I grew up with the stereotypical American Sunday dinner of a roast and mashed potatoes, homemade applesauce, vegetables, and some sort of homemade pie or cake for dessert. Spaghetti and meatballs was something we ate near the end of my father's pay period when my mother was trying to stretch out cheap food to feed a large family. Sauce came from a jar. I never knew anyone who actually made spaghetti sauce--the concept was completely foreign and even perplexing. Why on earth would someone waste all that time making tomato sauce when you could buy the same thing in a jar?

Then my sister dated a guy of Italian descent. He came over one day and made a pot of sauce for us. While he was cooking, he mentioned that this was the smell on Sunday that he had grown up with, and it reminded him of his grandmother making the sauce for Sunday dinner.

My first reaction was to feel sorry for him that he his family had been so poor that they had to eat spaghetti and meatballs on Sunday instead of a nice roast beef dinner. Then I realized by that this was a HAPPY memory for him!

Of course, this was the 70s and shortly after, macaroni and spaghetti started to be called "pasta" and to be served in mainstream restaurants instead of side streets in the city or at pizza places in the suburbs. Then everybody tried their hand at making sauce, even my own mother.

To me, I think that smell of the applesauce cooking evokes the childhood memories. And when I grew up, I found THAT was something that some other people only ever knew about coming from a jar.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:34 AM

51,101 posts, read 50,409,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
In New England in the 50s and 60s, almost everyone’s Mom made baked beans from scratch on Saturday. I remember the whole neighborhood smelled of baked beans, and the sound of the Red Sox game was wafting through the windows.

We usually had hotdogs with the beans, and then leftover beans with bacon and eggs in the morning.

When I was under age 5, we lived in the country. Behind us were woods and a cow pasture. We picked blueberries in the woods and had them on our cereal in the morning.
My late MIL was from Maine, grew up on a farm. She made baked beans and some kind of brown bread--maybe with molasses?--that was baked in a coffee can. She lived in Florida by then, but she made this for us.

Old 01-06-2018, 10:34 AM

27,856 posts, read 2,177,196 times
As a child, coming home from school at lunchtime, I loved a bowl of tomato soup in the winter. As a teen, it was lunch at school, but I had a chicken pot pie when I got home ( an hour or two before dinner)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink